Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help wanted to backup pc games with nero

• 16-09-2002 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I have major problems backing up pc games with nero. It just doesnt work. I wonder can anyone point me in the right direction. It seems to be burning ok then i get error logs saying device is not ready. I want to back up my kids games and give them the copies to play with as I am sick shelling out large amounts of money and then the disk gets damaged or scratched.
    please can anyone help.
    I am using Nero 5.5.8 version.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

The reason your having the problem is because almost all PC games have a cd protection look here There are loads of programs that will help you make working backups of your childrens games provided....

Legal Stuff
    Keep the following in mind when making a backup of an Original Game CD:
    You are LEGALLY ALLOWED to make a personal backup of an Original Game CD as long as you are the owner of the Original Game CD.
    You are NOT ALLOWED to sell, rent or give away any backups of copyrighted Games CD's, as this is not allowed by Copyright Laws.
    You MUST DESTROY any backups when you don't legally own the Original Game CD anymore (e.g. selling or giving it away)
    Before making a backup, check in the supplied manual or on the back of the CD, if there are special conditions for making a personal backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

Yeah I know about the rules and regs. It really is because kids are destructive little buggers ( Not mine of course mine are little angels :) ) but their friends.
    I hope this answers my question but it looks like looking for a needle in a haystack...
    thanks though
    mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You'd probably have to use something like CloneCD on a CDwriter that supports reading and writing in RAW mode (unless it's a Plextor or a LiteOn, chances are strong that it doesn't - at least not properly)

What you could try (if your hard drive is big enough) (and I don't know if it would work without some of those legally dubious No-CD cracks) is getting one of those programs that allow you to copy a whole CD to the HD and load it as a virtual CDROM drive. Something like Virtual CD.

Whaaa????
    I have a liteon cdrw but no cd drive. Just all in one maybe that is the problem. the games are all quite old they play the same ones over and over orly barbie and some other make up game. yes i have girls.
    mo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

As sceptre say's you should use something along the lines of clone-cd which is what i use. Most modern combo drives support writing in Raw DAO mode and you'll have to create an image "ISO" on your hardrive and then copy it back to a blank cd. You should check the help funtion in NERO to see what it say's about your CD drive and writing in raw mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Your best bet is to get CloneCD, its really easy to use, and there are loads of how-to's on the web.
    There are also detectors to tell you if a CD you have is protected. (Legal: Dont Pirate CD's, gives us all a bad name!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by sceptre
    You'd probably have to use something like CloneCD on a CDwriter that supports reading and writing in RAW mode (unless it's a Plextor or a LiteOn, chances are strong that it doesn't - at least not properly)

What are you on about?

Plextors are class.
    I've a 16x (about a year or more old) and it burns and reads everything aside from RAW SAO which I don't think anything uses.

Lite-Ons are good too afaik, they're built on Pioneer mechanisms or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Throw away nero for pc games....
    keep this in mind.. Audio mp3 vcd and dvds (some may find dodgy with dvds) with nero.. Pc games or any other copy protected software use clone cd.. !!!

Although most install discs on can be burned read with nero.. its mix and match etc so just use cdrwin or clone cd

Right depends on ure burner as well to see if its clone comptabile as well. Get the latest clone available .. (google) he he
    It aint free.. But trust me its there for the grabbing if u look hard enough so,s cdrwin.
    Also as u said the games are old there is most likely no protection or little on them.. 1 yrs or over and its a doddle..
    Just fire up clone and read

My 24x burner lite-on has this... possibly the best burner out there.. Cept some apes will now flame saying its only 24x... It aint the fastest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Device Capabilities:
    Note: This information is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. CloneCD does not use this information!
    Manufacturer: LITE-ON
    Product: LTR-24102B
    Revision: 5S54
    Can read CD-R Discs: Yes
    Can read CD-RW Discs: Yes
    Can read DVD Discs: No
    Can read MultiSession Discs: Yes
    Can read Digital Audio Discs: Yes
    Digital Audio Data is accurate: Yes
    Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
    Can write CD-RW Discs: Yes
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: Yes
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO Write Simulation: Yes
    Supports writing of CD+G RAW-DAO: Yes
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: Yes
    Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO Write Simulation: Yes
    Supports Buffer Underrun Protection: Yes

back to my opinion .. click on liteon burner click on protected cd then click next.. delete after a successful write.. then away u burn.. that easy..
    If its a new cd there different settings to abide by... but with older games this setting will work well.
    Anything ive left out post below i,ll get back to u !!!

And please dont flame me.. IM onlY tring to help her !!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Oh and the above post as well..
    Plextors were the best drives ever invented ... till the introduction of the 24x and above.. Plex didnt really keep up to date..
    Brill for reading and writing protected software..
    even still but some newer pc games can be read.. Shame really
    Respect from me to all the plex owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by SyxPak

What are you on about?

Plextors are class.
    I've a 16x (about a year or more old) and it burns and reads everything aside from RAW SAO which I don't think anything uses.

Lite-Ons are good too afaik, they're built on Pioneer mechanisms or something.

Yup, when you re-read the above, that's wot eye said.:)

(paraphrase: "unless you have X or Y, the odds are you will have problems - of one sort or another")

• Advertisement

Taking it all in lads. Thanks for all info...
    mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ClonyXXL is a very handy utility that scans the disc for protection.

yea have that no copy protection on any disks

mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

try checking www.cdfreaks.com you'll find what ya need to know in there forums...

as strat said use clonnyxxl to find the protection then use clonecd with the security profiles added and it works fine...

liteon's are the best drives from backing up games, plextors do a great job also, i havent had a problem backing up an of my games yet.

thanks having great fun trawling through the web site but havent found an answer yet. but im sure i will. might have to sign up to utvs internet service as i am spending a lorra lorra time on line... :D
    mo

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Try these 2 links....some handy walk throughs

http://alt2600.com/superman/

http://www.gamecopyworld.com

HIH

Macker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well mocar i do sympahtise with youre problem, the amount of origonal games my kids have destryoed is unreal.

Now i only let them use back uos, when i can make back ups, but this thread may have helped me also now!

Advertisement