Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased line costs in Sweden

Options
  • 16-09-2002 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Found something funny in Network Magazine. They are comparing cost of an 15kilometer E1 (2mbps I think) leased line in various European countries. Ireland is not listed unfortunatly. Top of the pile is the UK where it will cost about $932 per month. The cheapest is Sweden where it will cost you....wait for it.....Between $89 & $153. So there you have it. You can have you very own 2meg leased line for less than DSL in Ireland. Perhaps I am being over simplistic with this. Does anyone know if there are any additional significant costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thats hillarious :)

mind you , dont you pay traffic costs with leased lines? (i remember hearing they were pretty large traffic allowances tho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

does anyone know how much a line like that would cost from our friends at eircom?
    i know they like to keep prices of leased lines secret i wonder why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by tuxx
    does anyone know how much a line like that would cost from our friends at eircom?
    i know they like to keep prices of leased lines secret i wonder why
    About $4k I think, but my numbers are a few years out of date and Dublin-centric.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by longword

About $4k I think, but my numbers are a few years out of date and Dublin-centric.

I heard a figure of around 40000IEP per year for a 1 meg line, that was about a year ago. Not sure of the accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

a 1Meg line is about IEP2k a month

uncapped too, wow.

remember that a leased line has 2 components, the wire and the internet 'port' or a 1 mBit opening to the internet.

€ircon would charge circa

IEP0.8k for the Wire ...point to point
    IEP1.2k for the port

As the wiring and termination equipment is the same no matter whether the line is 256k or 2Mb Eircom woul dvary the price of the port quite a lot. The wire would not climb as dramatically.

Prices quoted are monthly.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cabante

...and I know. It felt like traveling back in time when I came here (IT,computers,..etc..).
    I heard that Ireland was suppose to be the "hub" of Europe,..well sure you got the BIG cable going out from Europe to the States...but you are not using it your self.

Read you/your as the goverment,companies (Eircom..etc..).

What Ireland needs is politics and buisnessmen that knows about this stuff and wants to do something about it. For each and every day Ireland loose money because of this...

And Eircom,.. bah! 205 € /month for unlimited traffic ADSL +installation costs and modem costs..
    in sweden it costs about 50 € and you get installation for free as well modem in some cases.

Im not trying to sit here and say that in Sweden everything is so good and all,..but it is when it comes to this anyway. Maybe the Irish politics and companies should look outside Ireland and learn from others.

I hope something happens, and happens soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by cabante
    I hope something happens, and happens soon...

I think we all feel that way mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Anyone got any comparative data on leased line prices from the Irish providers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

A 512k from any of them will cost almost €20,000 a year ex vat inlcuding the IP port

Them:

ordered according to recent experience of their system.

Worldcom
    Colt
    €ircon
    Esat

Worlcom (aka UUNET) are top at the moment because their system is dead stable and they have lost some customers ...but not many. Therefore the traffic is down a bit and it zips. Outages are very rare.

Their peering is also very good. ESAT are bottom because of their awful esat-x hosting fiasco in west dublin and the fact that those responsible for esat-x hide behind customer 'services' droids and refuse to talk to the customer at all.

Colt and €ircon are good but €ircon are a bit like esat, won't talk to ya if they can avoid it but they are not as bad as esat

I would not care to recommend anyone else

M

Anyone used Via? (www.vianetworks.ie)

It would be a useful resource to have a comparative listing somewhere of the same product from all the Irish providers.

I assume via, colt, etc use Eircom/Esat tails/lines?

Is there a difference in net port charges between them all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by steve-hosting36
    Anyone used Via? (www.vianetworks.ie)

Personally no. I have spoken to customers who use them and are very happy with the service, the general gist is the service is better and staff are helpful.

Would it be intersting / worth while to get an identical quote priced from each of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Well if you want to sit down for a few weeks and break out the old Abacus and pencil you will find Eircom's price list here :-

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/section1.html

Apart from that you can check what they charge other carriers here also or in the Reference Interconnect Offer ( RIO ) under "carrier services "

Either way dont expect to easily find the info you are looking for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Leased lines :-

Main Options...

COLT
    Eircom
    ntl
    EsatBT
    Nevada
    Worldcom
    Cable & Wireless

If leased line is less than 2Mb , carrier will probably use an eircom or EsatBT tail......other than that it depends on geographic reach - Eicom and EsatBt ( and a bit for Worldcom ) have fibre around the Country - ntl , Colt , Nevada , Worldcom etc are mostly Dublin....

If you pay €20k for a 512 IP line with port etc you are paying way over the odds (particulary in Dublin ) try ntl , COLT or Nevada.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

here's a breakdown of prices I was sent a couple of months back.

Advertisement