Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDRW is buggered

• 17-09-2002 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Alright... I reckon my CDRW is fúcked, but maybe someone might have experienced this before. It's a Philips CDRW I believe, but that's not terribly important.
    I've a DVD drive and the CDRW, I was playing Mafia, and I happened to have disc 3 of the game in the CDRW and disc 1 in the DVD. While loading a level the system hung, so the only thing I could do was power off\on.

As I booted up again, the CDRW was constantly ejecting and then going back in! I took the CD out and still it's doing the same. It's constantly trying to read, and ejects when it can't find anything. Sometimes if I put a CD in it'll stay closed, but it can't read it properly, and sometimes it just stays open!!

I've tried using different CD's, CDR's etc... no joy. I tried reseating cables... no joy. I disabled through device manager, and still does the same. I reckon it's gone. Anyone any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I had a Phillips, CD-RW AT 8x type (model 110i istr). Got similarly mucked up, think the door stuck and if you opened it it would close again straight away and not give you a chance to put anything in. If you held it and shoved something in it would spin aimlessly like a tool.

I changed it to my brothers machine after it was lying around a fortnight first on a table, it may have discharged a faulty component that.

I then lashed it up to the latest firmware (from the website) , worked away fine since on occasional burning, in win2000. It was in a win98 machine when I had it.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hmm... I was thinking of a frimware upgrade alright. Looks like it's the last thing to try anyway. Thanks.

Advertisement