Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it worth?

• 17-09-2002 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

A work colleague of mine is giving me a loan of a PDA - a HP Jornada 545 Color Pocket PC.

I've been considering buying a PDA for a while and he's currently got this one advertised for sale in Buy and Sell. What I want to know is ... considering it's been discontinued, and assuming I want to buy it from him - what should I offer?

It comes boxed as new, with a cradle to connect to a PC and is in perfect condition.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ISTR the Jornada was being discontinued after the HP - Compaq merger in favour of the allegedly inferior iPAQ range from Compaq.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Did you try compare it to a new model? If its one of those fancy 700euro 1's, give im 500 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

MasterWeb, Here's some good advice, don't buy it at all. Trust Me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Well, this page says that it retailed at £300stg + VAT and this page confirms that it's discontinued.

300 sterling is just over €475... but that's a price for a new one. When I say "boxed as new" above, I mean that the guy kept everything when he bought it, - boxes, slips of paper, cables, whatever, and repackaged it. It *is* used.

So I'm thinking €300 - €350. Sound fair?

Originally posted by Lucutus
    MasterWeb, Here's some good advice, don't buy it at all. Trust Me.

Must you call me that?

... and why do you recommend against buying it?

I'm getting the opportunity to play around a bit with it. I haven't decided whether I actually *want* it or not, - I was just curious as to what a good price to offer for it would be were I to take it off his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

€280, cause technology is evolving and u want to compensate for its age and how other things r advancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

lol, Yes 'MasterWeb', yes, I must, ...besides, you should be proud of your old nick!

I advise against buying it because they really are just a novelty. You will play around with it for a while, putting little games on there, using the calender and contacts ...well, whatever other features anyway, and eventually, you'll just put it down and it'll start gathering dust.

Having said all that, €300 seems a reasonable price if you can get it for that.

G'luck.

Luc

lol, Yes 'MasterWeb', yes, I must, ...besides, you should be proud of your old nick!

Of the long list of nicks I've gone through, there's none I dislike less... but aaaaaannyway...

I advise against buying it because they really are just a novelty. You will play around with it for a while, putting little games on there, using the calender and contacts ...well, whatever other features anyway, and eventually, you'll just put it down and it'll start gathering dust.

Actually, I would get quite a lot of use out of a PDA for work - both my day job and the nixers I do on the side. Pretty soon I'll be out on the road quite a bit and it may just prove to be indispensible.

The little games, mp3 player, etc. would just be an added bonus. It's intended as a business tool.

Having said all that, €300 seems a reasonable price if you can get it for that.

G'luck.

Luc

Thanks, appreciated.

Its an....
    mp3 player

With some extra features. Allow yourself to factor in a 256Mb Compact Flash or similar for it , costs about €120 , bet it only has 16Mb

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Talking about PDA's; has anyone seen these ones yet:

www.pc-ephone.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by Bard
    Of the long list of nicks I've gone through, there's none I dislike less... but aaaaaannyway...
    None you dislike less? Then "MasterWeb" must be your favourite one, MW.

Originally posted by JustHalf
    None you dislike less? Then "MasterWeb" must be your favourite one, MW.

Christ, I just can't stop making typo's today :rolleyes:

I meant 'more', of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I have to agree with Lucutus. For a while, last year, I was toying with the idea of which PDA to buy to replace my ageing Palm Pilot 1000 (remember them?). I eventually settled with the Ericsson R380 - the mobile phone with PDA built in. Recently in work, they were giving out Ipaq's to play with. I did exactly what Lucutus said - once the initial wow factor had worn off, I just left it lying around.

I use my R380 all the time - the novelty factor has worn out, but my whole life is organised around it (sad little man that I am

:D ).

My opinion on any gadget is if you are going to get use out of it - buy it. Be sure, though. As I have found to my detriment, gadgets such as this can turn out to be expensive toys.

TD.

Thanks for the advice, tom... and Lucutus.

I am trying before I buy by borrowing this unit. In that way, I'll "be sure" as you suggested and not make a wasted purchase.

I'll send ya a list of MP3 players if ya decide against

M

huh?

I'm not looking for an mp3 player... this PDA just happens to have one built in as it's got Pocket Windows.

and as it turns out I've no wish, having played around with this PDA overnight, to buy a PDA for myself because I wouldn't use it ( - apart from for work).

Advertisement