Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win2K Limiting users

Options
  • 17-09-2002 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Just got me Win2K and it installed nicely,no problems.

Right I have my HD with 4 partions divided up Win 98, Win2K, Programs, Files. Now I want to limit the people using the machine to being just able to view/access their folders, no other persons and not any of the partions.

Is this possible??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Only if you're using NTFS for your filesystem. To convert drive x: to NTFS:
    convert x: /fs:NTFS

and reboot. Note that Win9x cannot read NTFS formatted partitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Meh
    Note that Win9x cannot read NTFS formatted partitions.

Take careful note of that one.

If any of the folders on a particular drive need to be accessed by Win98 for any reasno you'd be advised not to change that particular drive to NTFS

You could get something like NTFSDOS so you can read NTFS drives with Win98 (and it works fine, I occasionally use it here) - but it's somewhat defeating the purpose you want NTFS for if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Right I just wiped the win98 partition and am calling it games. So now the partions are Win2k, games, programs, files and they are all NTFS.
    Only if you're using NTFS for your filesystem

Now what do I do?
    How do i limit their access?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by timeout

Now what do I do?
    How do i limit their access?

Easy part ahead.

In (win2k) Windows Explorer, right-click on a drive and click "Properties". Click on the "Security" tab. Add and remove users to your heart's content.

If you want to hjust restrict their access from a particular folder on an NTFS drive, that's just as easy. Right click on the relevant folder and play around with permissions as above.

You'll also want to make sure that all the other users don't have admin status, because if they do they'll be able to get at the files unless you specifically say they can't. Control Panel, "Users and Passwords" for that. There's no reason for them to be administrators (I assume) so just take that away from them and put the other users (not yourself obviously:)) in the "Users" or "power Users" group.

Then log on as another user and make bloody sure they can;t get into the folders you don't want them to get at.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well that sorted it

Thanks fellas,
    no more deleted projects or junk filling up the computer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement