Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pace launch new box

• 17-09-2002 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I cant post a picture as they sent it in pdf format which is unacceptable here:

"Pace launches new Digibox for Sky Digital!

Pace Micro Technology has launched a new Digibox for Sky digital. The
    Digibox, which sports a sleek, sophisticated new design, is now available.

Pace's new Digibox, as with all other Digiboxes, will enable Sky digital
    viewers to access interactive services, switch channels and navigate Sky's
    on-screen Electronic Programme Guide. The elegant design includes a
    platinum fascia and sleek, flat-faced front panel that complements the look
    of leading-edge home entertainment equipment. Front-panel functionality
    buttons also enable full 'on box' manual control.

In addition to the new visual design, the Pace Digibox is smaller and more
    compact that previous generations of Pace Digiboxes and has been designed to
    meet the European Commission's Code of Conduct on stand-by power
    consumption."

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

just wonderin'
    whats the price range for the new pace box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by dmeehan
    just wonderin'
    whats the price range for the new pace box?

Well it will be included in the free box offer so no change I guess

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Here is a picture of the new Pace Digi-Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hmmmm. White...... (not a good colour in a dusty corner.....)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has anybody actually tried out this new box from pace yet (2600 I believe). The reason why I ask is that I currently have a Panasonic TU-DSB31 and an opportunity has come up for me to swap my Panasonic for this new Pace. Now what I am not sure about is Pace in general. I have had their two previous models and to be honest I was happy enough with them, but from reading through websites at the moment an awful lot of people are having trouble with Pace Boxes(channels not available message, software problems etc..).

Would I actually be foolish to give away a perfectly good Panasonic Box which I must admit I am happy with for this new stylish, quicker Pace box. All replies very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Irulan

I read somewhere a while back that a stand-by light can cost as much as €88.00 a year to operate. Is this true?[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

This is probably a stupid question but the interactive card slot of the front of all digibox's-will this ever be used and if so for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Would I actually be foolish to give away a perfectly good Panasonic Box which I must admit I am happy with for this new stylish, quicker Pace box. All replies very welcome.

Yes.

Unless you are really concerned with the aesthetics of the box then why change? I doubt the new pace is quicker than the panasonic, even if it is quicker than the old pace. IMO Pace have never made the most reliable equipment, stick with the Panasonic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by cupthehand
    This is probably a stupid question but the interactive card slot of the front of all digibox's-will this ever be used and if so for what?

When Sky introduced the digibox they were not sure how they would charge for the interactive services. They could have used a second smart card which would store credit on it, but they went for the phone charges instead.

It's unlikely that the interactive slot will be used in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's for credit card with a Chip.
    Since almost nobody has one (not Sky's fault) it's no use to Sky.
    A magnetic stripe reader is too expensive, bulky and unreliable in comparison. It'scallled a "Modex" type card.

I have seen one or two "Chip" credit cards, but don't know if they are "modex" compatible.

It is likely that all Cheque, Laser and Credit cards will use "Chips" as it does away with all that slow and sometimes not working "Swiping". It can also hold more info and potentially the last transaction or two to allow a sale if phone/communications are down and then update central computer on next sale with successful connection. Like a Can vending machine could work with no phone line, and then next inshop purchase your card "downloads" the vending machine puchase....

But it has been 10 years slower than anticipated. So Sky built in something for a Retail mechanism that never (yet) took off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i think they use the "chip" credit cards in france
    and i have seen the chip cards used as debit cards in germany - Sparkasse is one of them

Advertisement