Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to buy a laptop & Need advice please

Options
  • 17-09-2002 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Ok Websters,

i am going out to buy a laptop soon. I have always used a PC

Being a web designer, i would like to know what would YOU recommend.

What are the best laptops, why, most suitable for web design, does it matter?

As they are quite expensive i would like to have some background knowledge, before being blasted with 'salesman jargon'

Any advice would be much obliged

Thanks

MOTM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

I bought a second hand dell latitude, p3 350 with 128mb ram its a latitude - really thin:) goes like a dream (using dw psp etc) photoshop is a bit slow any bigger development tools also run a bit slow,

i hardly ever touch my pc now - and im thinking of buying a more powerful laptop to replace my pc.

if your are not using any major apps the above spec would be fine

thats my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I'm in the exact same position looking around at laptop deals. It really depends what you want it for ... ok web design. But do you want it to be a desktop replacement or do you want it to be ultra-portable?

And most importantly what is your maximum budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

I reckon about 1500 - 2000 yoyos. I am looking for a PC replacement really.

I suppose the heaviest package would be Photoshop. On my PC it can be slow. Ideally i want PS to work pretty fast.

The way i see it the time i waste every month waiting for PS to open/ close/ save image is adding up and is really costing alot of wasted time.

What do you think

Motm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd recommend...:

Toshiba Satellite 1400/103
    Celeron 1Ghz Processor
    256Mb RAM
    20GB HDD
    14.1" TFT Screen
    8XDVD/24XCDROM
    16MB Graphics Card
    Floppy Drive
    56Kbps V/F Modem
    In-built NIC
    PCMCIA slots
    Touchpad mouse
    Windows XP Professional

I can get you one of these for €1,899 (excluding VAT and delivery). Don't worry, it's perfectly legal and fully under warranty.

Mind you, you should have asked on another forum, tbh... and you'd have gotten more responses. Technology, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

Goto PC World in Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown.

I know its a crap shop etc but they have GREAT laptops with pretty much the same spec as above and more for cheaper. Try and look at the "Advent" systems. And DONT buy the insurance they try and sell you unless you think you might drop the laptop ...

I use something close to the above spec but a bit better and I never get any slowdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'd agree with Dazzer. I bought my Advent 6417 from Dixons in Swords and it's an excellent little machine. I do all my web design work on it now and find it very reliable.

However, I'd strongly recommend taking Dixons/PC World (same company) up on their insurance package. My laptop got damaged (completely my own fault!) within a couple of months (heat sink got knocked out of place, machine kept shutting down from overheating) and they fixed it good as new for me within a week.

Do what I did and you might get a good deal - I bought the shop display model, as it was the last of the line (they'd no more in stock), and I haggled. Got a hundred euro off the price and 5 years insurance for the price of 3.

They're nice people in Dixons in Swords and seem prepared to negotiate as they genuinely want to help (and make their commission for the sale!). That aside, the Advent laptop's are well spec'd and well built.

Advertisement