Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipaq trouble

• 17-09-2002 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I want to get a GPRS card and a GPS receiver (specifically one that is possible to buy bundled with maps of the republic of ireland) for an Ipaq 3600. The problem is I can't find a combination of products that will fit on it simultaneously. Has anyone managed to do this?

I have heard there is now an Ipaq bundle on sale that has all this functinality but I've not been able to find details of it anywhere online so i'm sceptical of whether it actaulyl exists.
    Even solutions for Ipaq's other than the 36xx series are welcome.

Alb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by alb
    I want to get a GPRS card and a GPS receiver (specifically one that is possible to buy bundled with maps of the republic of ireland) for an Ipaq 3600. The problem is I can't find a combination of products that will fit on it simultaneously.

I would imagine you would have a lot of trouble getting units with maps of Ireland. Other European countries and the US - no problem, but the market in Ireland would be so small, I doubt it would be worth anybody's while. :confused:

Also - the maps would be relatively large. I'm not so sure how they would fit on an Ipaq (or any handheld device, for that matter) with limited memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I presume this is what you're looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by mayhem#
    I presume this is what you're looking for?

Yes... if it wasnt a jacket that the Ipaq slipped into. That prevents me from putting a PC card jacket on also with the GPRS card i need. I've found plenty of other GPS receivers for the Ipaq too, the problem is finding a combination of maps or ireland, GPS and GPRS at the same time. Anyway i think I *may* have found a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

So what is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I have a Garmin GPS V and a Jornada 565. Given the absolute void of digital mapping for Ireland, I use and recommend a program called OziExplorer. (www.oziexplorer.com)

You will need a PC, but you can scan and calibrate any map you want. I've done the entire OSI Road Atlas and several locations from the 1:50,000 series (mostly around the wicklow mountains)

You can connect your GPS to your IPAQ using a serial cable, thereby keeping your port free for a GPRS card. You may need to make your own 9pin null modem connector as even the guys in Peats don't seem to know what one is.

The software is great. Pre calibrated maps are available for all of North America and Germany from several sources. (links on the Ozi site) Europe is available at 1:500,000 from www.fugawi.com (although the maps arn't great for ireland, of course)

There is a sister product called Ozi 3D which allows any maps to be viewed in 3D once you have DEMs from the region. You can get 30arc second DEMs for the entire planet from a few sites listed on the Ozi site..... keeping in mind the files are HUGE and will require a broadband connection to download. (Leaving most of Ireland out in the cold again, unfortunately).

I've been on hikes in the wicklows and plotted them on 3D maps and 3D satellite photos - they look absolutely GREAT.

Satellite photos again are HUGE and therefore will be unavailable to most of Ireland (broadband required).

Good Luck-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Originally posted by mayhem#
    So what is it?

The Destinator GPS receiver is connected using serial port so I can use that, the problemn was they said it also required an external compact flash memory card, but i've since been in touch with them and they told me a small amount of mappage can be used with it without the memory card. This will let my put my GPRS jacket on hopefully :D

Thanks for all that info Canadian i'll check it out tomorrow. I luckily do have a broadband connection here, I want the maps to develop routing/directional doftware around so I'll ahve to check if these have a suitable API

cheers for the input lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I bought a null-modem cable in Peats voer the summer, had the 9-pin and 25-pin connectors too.
    €6-7 approx.
    Might be a bit cubersome for a hand held though.
    You could easily buy the heads and cable yourself.
    Or just ask for a cable to hook up two amigas :)

Advertisement