Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austin Powers director to make 'Hitchhiker's guide to Galaxy'

• 17-09-2002 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Austin Powers director to make 'Hitchhiker's guide to Galaxy'
    17/09/2002 - 2:28:41 pm

Austin Powers director Jay Roach is to make a Hollywood adaptation of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Karey Kirkpatrick, who wrote Chicken Run, is to complete the film’s script from a draft version written by cult author Douglas Adams before his death last year.

Adams will be posthumously credited as an executive producer in the movie which follows the adventures of Englishman Arthur Dent who is taken on a tour of the universe by an alien after discovering the Earth is to be flattened for a hyperspace bypass.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy originally started out as a BBC Radio 4 series in March 1978.

From there it exploded into a series of best-selling novels and, in 1984, Adams became the youngest author to receive a Golden Pan award.

The saga also became a hit BBC television series, video game and, more recently, website.

http://breaking.examiner.ie/2002/09/17/story68613.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not sure how to view this news, so many years have passed since the first announcement of a Hitch Hiker film (about 20 years!).

A Yank at the helm is a worry, esp as Austin Powers much broader based humour than HHGTTG. It'll get a decent budget at least, but can you imagine the casting? I dread to think.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hugh Grant is a shoe-in for Arther Dent, surely.

Like mike, I'm not sure how to feel about it. Its a series I love very much, and just hope to God that he doesn't make a balls of it just go to after the mass market.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

HMMmm....I also don't feel comfortable. I'd hate to see one of my favorite books butchered on screen:( If they do try to Hollywoodize it, it will end in disaster imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

There's no way it'll live up to my expectations, but I'll definitely go see it anyway. I though Hugh Grant too, but I'm not so sure. He's not really weedy enough. Maybe Lee Evans could get away with it, I usually can't stand him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well about time too, hope that he doesn't screw it up too much, stays as close to books as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ive always thought Hugh Laurie was a shoo in for the Arthur Dent role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I'm holding my breath now..................................

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Ive always thought Hugh Laurie was a shoo in for the Arthur Dent role.

Bingo! I knew I had someone in mind (just about) for the role but could'nt quite think who!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

and hey dont go asuming the actor will be brittish.

Hell mike myers could get the part if he has nothing on the cards, after all his buddy directio is making this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Possible Cast: One actor who was consistently mentioned by uthor Douglas Adams as a possibility is Hugh Laurie (Stuart Little) as Arthur Dent. (1/13/01) Jay Roach recently told Popcorn that he would also like to see Jim Carrey play Zaphod Beeblebrox, the wacky two-headed politician.
    upcomingmovies.com

• Advertisement

Originally posted by artvandelay
    Jay Roach recently told Popcorn that he would also like to see Jim Carrey play Zaphod Beeblebrox, the wacky two-headed politician.

I can see that working but when in the story did he turn politican
    or is my memory shot?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He was President of the Galaxy at the start, when he stole the Heart Of Gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Does any1 know if the hitch hikers guide to star trek is still on the net???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Arthur: Hugh Grant
    Ford: Tim Robins
    Zaphod: Bill Murray

that would be nice.

Advertisement