Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband.. dare I ask?

Options
  • 17-09-2002 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Just moved to Ireland from the UK and I am about to order eircom i-stream solo.

Firstly, is this the best/only decent source of broadband? I tried a few other leads and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I'm after speeds of 512k or more, always on, no interruption to telephone calls, standard stuff. I know eircom can do all this but I'm a) a little worried about the fact they charge 3.6c per mb for downloads in excess of 3GB per month and b) astounded at the price! I used to get the same service thought NTL, for £25 a month! If I have to pay it, I will because I need it, but if there's a cheaper way....

My second question is, why I have to upgrade my modem to a 512k ADSL USB or Ethernet modem. Eircom have told me I have to do this, either getting the modem from them at up to 240 euros, or going elsewhere. I never had to upgrade the 56k modem in my laptop when I had broadband before.

Anyone?

Em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Depends on where in Ireland you are, but in general: yes, eircon are your only option unless you live in the 0.0042km² area that NTL cable internet covers.

Just remember to cancel your eircom subscription as soon as an alternative becomes available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭edove

..I'm in Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

your only option is eircom so
    welcome to the e-hub of europe!!

Advertisement