Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

nokia 7650 question

• 17-09-2002 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

Anyone gotten their hands on a nokia 7650? worth while buy or just an annoying gimmic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

I like it, find email excellent (especially when enhanced with Cibenix's Active Mail app), web surfing PDA friendly sites is also good (using ReqWireless's Java WebVewer app), some cool games available too. Main phone features are easy to use in true Nokia style and the camera is proving both fun and useful.

Maybe you should hold your horses, unless you really want it. Their recently announced (youth/fun oriented) 3650 model had enhanced specs including: tri-band, MMC (memory card) expansion, and video capture due in Q1 2003 (so probably some time Q2). But, you have to deal with that new formfactor and keypad layout (more ergonomic or just funky?).

7650 is definately a more buiness / conservative focused device, if they are producing the above hardware spec in the 3650 would think a new model on a par hardware wise would be in the pipeline for the 76xx some time (next year?).

If you don't want to wait, the price was dropped again today on expansys.com to around EUR 565 SIM Free (plus EUR 38 Fed.Ex shipping). Re: http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=NOK_7650

Don't even think about buying it on the street in Dublin yet though, the two shops I've seen selling it are asking EUR 999.99 for it, you could have a weekend in London, buy it over there SIM Free and still have change out of that :)

HTH,
    Brian G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Originally posted by DubWireless
    IDon't even think about buying it on the street in Dublin yet though, the two shops I've seen selling it are asking EUR 999.99 for it, you could have a weekend in London, buy it over there SIM Free and still have change out of that :)

HTH,
    Brian G

Where abouts in Dublin did you see it? Was the 999.99 with a contract or without?

Thanks,
    spanner_head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Maybe you should hold your horses, unless you really want it. Their recently announced (youth/fun oriented) 3650 model had enhanced specs including: tri-band, MMC (memory card) expansion, and video capture due in Q1 2003 (so probably some time Q2). But, you have to deal with that new formfactor and keypad layout (more ergonomic or just funky?).

well after watching the 7650 after it first appeared on their site with all their release dates i'd say it will be a year or so before we see that other fone. And well that other fone looks more like a toy than anything else imo. I think i'll stick with business like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The Telephone Centre (I think thats what its called) on Dawson St. Stock them, its just up from the Nokia shop, its an office equipment / phones shop, white front.
    It says €999 on a sign in the doorway, but i went in, played around with one (Gorgeous phone, i HAVE to have one) and they said they'd reduced it to €849.

Doesn't beat Expansys though.

Anyone have any idea when it'll be available on O2 contract?
    Cust. Services gave me the usual 'several months of testing a required blah blah blah' stuff, and the shops i asked quoted 4-8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by spanner_head
    Where abouts in Dublin did you see it? Was the 999.99 with a contract or without?

Telephone Centre, Dawson Street and A phone shop on the Quays down from the old Virgin MegaStore and before Hapenny Bridge. It's only available without a contract at the moment here.

It was without a contract, neither of the operators here have given a date for release.
    Originally posted by Igy
    Anyone have any idea when it'll be available on O2 contract?

A new software update was released very recently (3.16) so suppose they are busy testing that at the mo. I'd be surprised to see it released in Ireland before O2 or Voda in the UK release it though. Orange the only UK operator there supplying it at the moment.

HTH,
    Brian G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well got me 7650, and i must say well impressed, lovely piece of hardware, good quality from the digital camera, nice games :) , plenty of lovely features and that, lock phone is also quite handy(considering it costs so much don't want anyone invited to take it :) )

Alll in all a worthwhile buy imo

Advertisement