Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shortlist 2002 finalists announced

Options
  • 18-09-2002 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

ok this is the idea. pick respected people from the music industry and ask them what was their favourite album of the year. they nominate the albums and they go into whats called the "longlist" after which they get down to ten finalists to whats called the "shortlist". organise a concert at which the winner will be selected two hours prior to it, and give the winner $10,000. simple. (http://www.shortlistofmusic.com/)

ok, im gonna attempt a poll. but since the "shortlist" contains ten finalists there isnt gonna be room for the Atari Jaguar option. who would you like to win?

adnans

Who do you think will win the Shortlist 2002 award? 24 votes

Aphex Twin "Drukqs"
    0% 0 votes
    The Avalanches "Since I Left You"
    12% 3 votes
    Bjork "Vespertine"
    20% 5 votes
    Cee-Lo "Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections"
    4% 1 vote
    DJ Shadow "The Private Press"
    0% 0 votes
    Doves "Last Broadcast"
    12% 3 votes
    The Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots"
    12% 3 votes
    The Hives "Veni Vidi Vicious"
    16% 4 votes
    N*E*R*D "In Search Of…"
    12% 3 votes
    Zero 7 "Simple Things"
    8% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i'd love to see either bjork or the flaming lips efforts win.. both are stunningly good... and a calibre above anything else on that list. (especially the last broadcast, a terribly poor album compared to lost souls)...

i know they're not part of the above list.. but should be:
    mum - finally we are no-one
    gomez - in our gun
    lambchop - is a woman
    cinematic orchestra - everyday
    boards of canada - geogaddi
    blackalicious - blazing arrow

(i voted for yoshmi by the way.. its brill although a coin toss between that and vespertine)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah, i compeltelagree with you kali, although id probably pick bjork over the flaming lips

what kind of music do mum and lamb play, ive seen you mention them a few times and im just wondering

Originally posted by thedrowner
    what kind of music do mum and lamb play, ive seen you mention them a few times and im just wondering

múm are icelandic.. i guess an electronic sigur ros would be a good comparison... extremely good, released the single "green grass of tunnel" a few months ago, well worth picking up the album or single (or their previous efforts).

i didn't mention lamb.. but they're electronic/semi-dn'b (altho more along the trip-hop beat lines) with some gorgeous female vocals over it... they released their 3rd? album "what sound" last year.. again indispensable (you might have heard the single gorecki a few years back from their first album.. probably their most known song).

lambchop are ehh.. err.. a rather strange country band i guess, although "is a woman" is more laid-back lounge jazz than rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

up ya go fella

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Out of that lot I'd definetly vote for Zero 7. They also double as decent shagging music too ... which I mention because it appeared on another thread that wanted to answer but can't be bothered loading up again right now.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Pigman
    Out of that lot I'd definetly vote for Zero 7.
    so wy dont you vote then? :) zero 7 hasnt got a vote yet

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by adnans
    so wy dont you vote then? :) zero 7 hasnt got a vote yet

adnans

Because I'm lazy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Hmmm... The Avalanches and Zero 7 are having a bit of a scrap in my brain.....

....and the winner is....

....The Avalanches!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

TO AN OPTOMITRIST!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I thought the Avalanches album came out last year ?!?

• Advertisement

more like 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by amp
    TO AN OPTOMITRIST!

...And he also made false teeth!

N*E*R*D won the shortlist 2002 award :)

more here...

adnans

Advertisement