Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bizarre chieftec case question

• 18-09-2002 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I got this chieftec case a couple of weeks ago, and this strange metal "ring" came with it, can anyone tell me what the hell it is?!?!
    it looks kinda like a magnet, but it doesnt seem to be magnetic, and it's about the size of a bottle top but with a hole through it.
    p.s. sorry about the absurd question, but i'm just curious...
    p.p.s. Anyone know if the chieftec case psu is ok? not like codegen ones or anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Most likely a Ferrite Core. Supposed to limit RF interferance. The idea is you pass your LED/switch leads through it (usually wrapped around the ring once or twice) so that they don't act as little aerials transmitting EMI produced by the motherboard. It's needed because the leads usually extend beyond the metal of the case and into the plastic front facia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Regarding the psu, I found it was unsuitable for p4 use, with a 2ghz northwood, the 12v voltage was dropping to 11.5 - 11.4 under full load. The machine was still stable, but I think thats pretty marginal, and having the psu under such strain means any degradation would make it unstable, apart from shortening the psu's life. I think its pretty good for amd use though ( they don't use the 12v line to supply the cpu ).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

as for the metal ring, it's too big and awkard to be used on the led cables. I tried but took it off, I was afraid it would damage something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

thanks for the info guys, might try sticking it in when I get around to re-arranging the drives. Thanks too for the psu info, i'm running an amd, so hopefully its fine ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm running an AMD two, so I did a bit of looking around before I bought it and it's supposed to be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement