Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip Flat Rate (56K Dialup) Performance?

Options
  • 18-09-2002 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm considering signing up for one of the flat rate packages, but I'm hearing various rumours about performance issues on the dialup side of things.

If you have any info on this could you post here please? I'm really interested to know what the contention is actually like, what the download performance is like, how long it takes to get a valid connection and general performance observations. Thanks in advance.

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Mike,

I have been using the UTV free service on and off and i find its Grand. Connection speeds are normal, around 45Kbps which is gernerally normal for me. Even thou i live in the sticks its fine.

pings seem stable at around 120 - 140 to irish servers. I am nnot a gamer thou so i cant comment on that :)

HTH,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Its not great at the moment,Id wait a while and see, im on there UTVip flate rate service, and its dead, not just slow, but dead,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UTV dead over the last two days, on IOL (gak!) now and flying.

UTV would usually connect at 44/45kps which is fine with a throughput of data of about same (sometimes when on a connection, like Indigo just now, the figues don't match remotly).

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Slightly off-topic, but is anyone having problems with the standard free UTV service? I haven't been able to connect the last two days. Well, I can connect, but I'm not getting any throughput, and I mean none, not a byte. Having to use Oceanfree.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Same here. I've been using the free service for months without problems.

Guess they have some teething problems with the new service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

yeah their working on it as we speak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah, that's ok, as long as it's not just me. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Its working fine now, very fast, fixed there problem, very fast now in fact!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Mike,

Just a wee update on this. UTV are great, they are very helpfull and their service is top class. They have had a few whoopsies over the past 2 weeks, but the service is teething as such.

Unlike other operators UTV would be glad to give you a static IP free of charge, and if you ask nicely even a PTR record for such an IP. I have gotten both and i am very happy with it.

I have a new challenge for them too for next week :).

Ill post back my findings :)

HTH,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

another question, off topic a bit...

what are the benefits of a static IP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They give a static IP to 56k users?!

Originally posted by Scruff
    what are the benefits of a static IP?

getting attacked by hackers :p

setting up your own slow offpeak webserver? !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Hey..
    right now im gonna sign up for netsmart or utvip?

most of the teething problems with utv sorted out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

I been using utv last few days and I had no probs, very pleased with it. Speeds for browsing are good, no disconnects. Pings are a bit higher(not as much as some are making out tho) alright for gaming but its still very playable. I use isdn so dunno whats it like for 56k. My advice if u got 56k connection is to get a proper connection and upgrade to isdn:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Rags
    My advice if u got 56k connection is to get a proper connection and upgrade to isdn:).

ISDN?? "Proper"??

Maybe for the 1960s yeah ;)
    Bahh.. It's a shame us poor irish are forced into thinking ISDN is actually a decent connection :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Thing is that ISDN isnt bad for gamers or people who dont dload a lot.
    If i get a bad ping to a server i just switch isp. usually fixes it. Thats the only thing im worried about when is witch to broadband. If something ****s up, ur ****ed till they can be arsed fixing it. (isp that is)

(it however is a load of crap for any medium-heavy user )

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Na I aint fooled into thinking isdn is that great but its the only thing available to majority of us. It is great for gaming, no doubt about that. And it is a hell of a lot better then 56k. About downloads, I got 1way satelite for that. (netsystem) I pretty happy with it and its the best that I will have for the forseeable future.
    ISDN?? "Proper"??
    Maybe for the 1960s yeah
    Bahh.. It's a shame us poor irish are forced into thinking ISDN is actually a decent connection :/

Lol I know what u mean, but we gotta make the most out of a bad situation and we irish are in a bad situation :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I used to use the EsatClear Free service, i usually got a download speed of 4.8k-4.9k when downloading from something like download.com. I am just after downloading WinAmp again and got a steady 5.1k from download.com again. After dialing up tons of times i have only ever had one dead connection and that was my own fault for having a few programs trying to connect while dialing up. The ping is a little bit down on Oceanfree but i wouldn't worry too much unless you are really into games (and have the money)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

I was very happy with the performance till yesterday - I could connect fine but after a few minutes it would just die, not necessarily dropping the line. Gave up eventually. Same problem this evening though not as bad and I'm connecting fine atm. Hope it a short term problem....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

This evening is the first time I've connected at 46.6kbps, I usually connect in the low 20's.

Anyone using ISDN with UTVip? Is it worth it?

yeah its worth it on isdn, I never have any problems with downloading/surfing, the connection never dies... although tonight it took 7 attempts to connect, but since each attempt takes about 3 seconds, it doesnt bother me. The pings are extremely high though for gaming :( practically 56k performance at peak times (8pm-11pm)

Advertisement