Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Guide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Someone mentioned Bon Apetit, earlier, in Malahide and it is gorgeous right enough, but it's very pricey. Very pricey indeed!!
    If you are spending that kind of money, you could also go to L'Ecrivain on Baggot St (is it?) or Chapters on Parnell Square. All those three are fantastico, but you need to be rich!!

The Red Bank in Skerries is fairly splendid, but you don't need to be loaded to eat there and I have a very soft spot for Salamanca, in town, but that's because I'm an anchovy demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by g00ndp00l
    6: Boccacios - Dame Street (Best atmosphere, good food and great service)

Anybody want to comment on my choices??

Boccacios is indeed great. Great food, great service and atmosphere. The waiters are super friendly, and always singing. Or at least when I used to go. It's been quite some time since I've been there. Must go soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Two i have been to recently was La Med in Temple Bar, this is fantastic. Last night i was at Johnnie Fox's Pub and Oh my God the fish is fantastic. We ordered scallops, tiger prawns, i had Swordfish and another had Mahi Mahi. all 4 were the amazing!! For starters we got the thing of muscles.. yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Went for food in Midleton, Cork last night. A place called Raymonds, it's down by the distellery. It was an early bird special for €25 for a 4 course meal. I have to say I was very impressed with the food and the service there.

Mods Is there any chance of this thread be split into regions of some sort?

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm going to start work on a Restaraunt section of ripoffireland.org. It will be split into different counties. Should be available in the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Hey all,
    if you are around Wexford and into Seafood I'd defo recommend NewBay House in Clonard outside Wexford Town. No complaints from a group of 8, and my brill was , em, brill...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Jai Pur south great Geourges street (almost to Aungier street end). Went there and i have to say im now a HUGE fan of Indian food after this place!! Oh make sure you get some Cobra beer to cool your mouth down. Also i can recommend the organic house wine. A huge meal for 5 of us cost €186 which is pretty good i think.

also Yamamori on the same street for Japanese Sushi etc.. also fantastic. 5 of us cost €170 but there was a lot less food/drink for this. Still it was an experience. I loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 cc007

Guys,

Try Salamanca (Spanish Tapa's restaurent). Amazing food. It's across from O'Neill's on Suffolk Street.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Avoid Pacinos on suffolk street. Very very poor. My wife and I had dinner there last week and it was truly awful. For starters we had deep fried mozzarella and garlic bread. The mozzarella tasted exactly the same as the type you get in the frozen food section of dunnes. Garlic bread had the slightest taste of garlic and was greasy(Christ, they couldn't even get garlic bread right :rolleyes: )

For the main course I had a really tiny lasagne, again courtesy of dunnes. This was served with chips and vegetables. The chips were of the frozen variety and I imagine it wasn't unlike eating a bag of nails. My wife had a chicken dish which was swimming in the most disgusting sauce I have ever tasted. It tasted like chicken fried in ice cream.... :confused: absolutely horrendous.

Some other diners seemed to be enjoying their meal, so mabe we were unlucky. Still, I definitely won't be going back.

Places like this don't deserve to take your hard earned money. Look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

There aren't many good Tex Mex restaurants around Dublin but I was in 'El Paso' in Howth recently and it was fabulous. Very reasonably priced, nice view over harbour (roadworks at min tho), lovely atmosphere and the staff were very friendly. Good for smokers too as there is an outdoor terrace where you can smoke and they'll come and tell you when your food's ready. Would highly recommend their nachos and chicken fajitas!! Chocolate fudge cake wasnt bad either :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

The Altar between Ballydehob and Goleen in West Cork!!
    The best meal I've had in years,€42 for a set menu of four courses......
    Absolutley amazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seanie04

Hi,

Can anyone reccomend somewhere cheapish for lunch in templebar?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I was in Kingswood House off the Naas Road last week. A little pricey but absolutely magnificent. €41 (plus service charge) for a five course meal but for a special occasion I think it is very much worth it.

The duck... oh the duck... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 marcowil

The Shack in Temple Bar
    (East Essex Street) www.shackrestaurant.ie

I have never had a bad meal there and the last time only cost 25 euro each (no wine) for two courses.

It has a lovely atmosphere, very friendly staff and is always full of a varied mix of people.

seanie04 wrote:
    Hi,

If you're just looking for something quick and cheap I'd recommend The Trinity Arch Pub on Dame Street. It's right beside the Central Bank and The Foggy Dew. They have a nice menu, prices are around Eur8 to Eur14 depending on whether you get a burger or steak etc. Friendly atmosphere and staff too. I've been going there for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seanie04

Thanks guys,

I'll give them a try! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 salty_30022

any thoughts on good and reasonable places to get take away lunch?
    or inspiring contents for a work lunch box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 PowerPuffGirl

I would normally go to Cafe Topolis on Parliament St, (Italian food) it's very very reasonable and great food and lots of it! Service is good too. I go there a lot and I've never had a bad meal there.

Went to Toscana on Lord Edward St. this evening, (basically beside the Forum), a bit posher than Cafe Topolis, but again it's Italian food. I thought the food was good, and twas a bit more expensive (65 yos for starters, mains, coffee and wine) and the waiters were a bit flirty... but yum nicely presented foodie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tadgher

I went to this place tonight, and thought it was very poor. Apart from the pizza and lasagna, which were served on their own, every other main dish was served with frozen chips and iceberg lettuce.

The house wine (medicore) was over 16 euros.

My starter, suppli, reminded me of deep-fried rice pudding. And it was served with undressed iceberg lettuce too. And a tomato.

Not cheap either - suppli was nearly 6 euros and saltimbocca was around 15.

went to Boticellis' once and that was enough. Horrible place. Tables are too close together, staff are unfriendly and the food is manky. Never again :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

I was at Boticellis' last week, service was good, food was plain. Won't be going again. I'm seriously beginning to wonder if there is any good Italian restaurants in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

seanie04 wrote:
    Hi,

The best kept secret for cheap and really good food in temple bar has to be the Irish Film Institute bar... They have really good portions and the food tastes really good..

Last night i had a spicy meatball and noodle dish.. It was really good, and only €8.50!!! The menu is really cheap, on average €5 -> €9.

The IFI Burger and the real chips are a must...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Avoid Pacinos on suffolk street. Very very poor. My wife and I had dinner there last week and it was truly awful. For starters we had deep fried mozzarella and garlic bread. The mozzarella tasted exactly the same as the type you get in the frozen food section of dunnes. Garlic bread had the slightest taste of garlic and was greasy(Christ, they couldn't even get garlic bread right :rolleyes: )

For the main course I had a really tiny lasagne, again courtesy of dunnes. This was served with chips and vegetables. The chips were of the frozen variety and I imagine it wasn't unlike eating a bag of nails. My wife had a chicken dish which was swimming in the most disgusting sauce I have ever tasted. It tasted like chicken fried in ice cream.... :confused: absolutely horrendous.

Some other diners seemed to be enjoying their meal, so mabe we were unlucky. Still, I definitely won't be going back.

Places like this don't deserve to take your hard earned money. Look elsewhere.

I think it sounds like you were just unlucky... I was there a few months ago with some friends and I have to say the food was decent enough... I didnt have any complaints at all...

For good italian food, try Cafe Bar Deli on georges st. Reasonably priced and its good quality.. It has never failed me so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

this is the best kept secret in the country....I can highly recommend it. Nothing has yet to come close to it in this country. And the pints are out of this world. Service is excellent, food is 5*, a little expensive but well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Carobar

Hi. Anyone been to the Chinese restaurant on Main St. Blanchardstown? I think the name of it is Ming Garden or Ming Court??? Thinking about heading there this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Bessacadia

New restaurant opening.... tomorrow night
    Rocca Cafe
    Good food very reasonable prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

browns on the green very very nice wide range menu
    da vinci's in leixlip is ok not the best itialian
    alvito's in leixlip really nice meditrainian
    miss wongs in leixlip the best chinese ever!

stay away from Eden in Templebar. Mingin' food, crap service, crap atmosphere and way over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 macG

SOrry Dublin City again but deadly value, its on Montague street (small road between Whelans and HArcourt street) near where I work
    €20 Early burrd... starter main dessert, glass of wine and tea/coffee! Think thats the best I've ever had... Food is brilliant and it got a good write up in the Irish times in the last week or two (I only got to glimpse at it in the restaurant, waiter showed me).

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

MacG - Any idea of the name? or style of food?

Advertisement