Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-site job interview and agreement?

• 18-09-2002 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello.

Background
    I'm a Slovak IT graduate. I have over 1 year of overseas English-speaking commercial IT experience, plus telecommuted off-site contracts. I developed a project in Germany, conducted in English.

My objectives
    I wish to find an IT/related job in Ireland. I know it's getting down now. I'll accept maintenance or lower positions as well. Starting salary is of no importance to me. I believe I can get higher in long-term.

Other intentions
    I checked out with Irish Embassy and I'm eligible for working authorisation. I must be in my home country to apply and get it. It is very fast and with a minimal paperwork. I need just a written employer's agreement.

I don't want to travel to Ireland for personal interview and then back for working authorisation. This makes a delay and is expensive for me. I prefer agreement with employer by phone, off-site test assignment and similiar means.

How I do it
    I usually send a cover letter and CV by email directly to the company. I ring them later. I refer them to transcripts of recommendations and list of referees. As I read on this forum, agencies use to change CV. I prefer to be honest.

Question
    Is it possible to arrange a phone interview and get a job agreement while outside Ireland? How about agencies?

Another query
    I worked one year for English-speaking firm in Southern Israel. Those were American Jews. Though I'm a Roman Catholic I wonder how Irish people see/accept such an experience. I mean personal subjective attitudes rather than official legal rules.

I'll be thankful for any polite reply, info or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by PeterNegev
    Hello.

Question
    Is it possible to arrange a phone interview and get a job agreement while outside Ireland? How about agencies?

if the agency is interested in you and pass you on and the company is interested, then yes, they may well agree to a phone interview. you will still have to go through a second intrerview however which will probably involve a face to face meeting which they may or may not pay for (flight cost etc)
    you can use the phone meeting to your advantage by telling them how well you can communicate etc.

only a fool will hire someone they have never met (unless youre a professional footballer, and i still wouldnt hire ronaldo to do IT support :))
    Originally posted by PeterNegev
    Hello.

Another query
    I worked one year for English-speaking firm in Southern Israel. Those were American Jews. Though I'm a Roman Catholic I wonder how Irish people see/accept such an experience. I mean personal subjective attitudes rather than official legal rules.

no one will care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PeterNegev

WhiteWashMan,

thank you. Let you have good batteries :)

Advertisement