Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamire.com Launches [At Last]

Options
  • 19-09-2002 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

Hi all

The gamire.com website has finally launched. We are hoping to make this the bottom line for Irish gamers but only time will tell.

I'm not going to waffle on here just take a look and see what you think http://www.gamire.com

Many, many thanks to everyone who did their bit for the site.

especially http://www.amergin.ie and http://www.reactive.ie
    both of who were amazing and deserve our support.

Let's keep it friendly...please :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Very nice.

A bit to red ;p
    but if kept updated could be a very good website.

well done

kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by meglome

especially http://www.amergin.ie and http://www.reactive.ie

Nice advertisement. Pity about the site, I couldn't look at it for more than two minutes without retina burn.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

good stuff Gary,

re: "THE RED, my eyes they burn" in your mini poll - I think its a nice color scheme, but it clashes badly with your banner ads, eg boards.ie (which are probably designed with a more neutral backdrop in mind).

Also, pronunciation of "Gamire" I have to say it comes out as "Game-Ire" ... Are you trying for a sort of Game-Eire type of thing? What happened to Gameire.com? (I see you have it linked)

Otherwise, so far looks good :)

Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

adview.php?bannerID=10

huzzah :)

and yes please fix the RED

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

bout time
    but

red it doth burneth my eyeseth

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Meglome, is that "latest threads on Boards" thing taking it from the live feed or a timed import (every hour or something) as it doesnt seem to correspond with the xml... just curious.

Anyway, best of luck with the site. I told you that red was harsh!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Yeah Dev it's a timed hack we did ourselves, it updates between every 15 minutes and 25 minutes depending. We will be changing it (or feel free to send me new xml).
    Originally posted by logic1

Nice advertisement. Pity about the site, I couldn't look at it for more than two minutes without retina burn.

.logic.

Niall you're such a bitch... those guys did so much for us I don't feel the slightest bit bad about it. And in all fairness I have seen much much worse in here.

Colm the dictionary piece at the beginning is a joke so I'm not going to be upset one way of the other about how people pronounce it. As for a clash with our banner ads, all the better for the advertisers. :) (including boards.ie)

I know the colour is strong, Devore and others had already told me, in fact I felt it was too bright myself when I first saw it. But now I wouldn't change it, I really like it and everyone involved feels the same. But if it is going to be a long-term issue for users of the site we will tone it down.

Thanks for the comments everyone, good or bad.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Looks nice, but yeah... the red is way too bright. Wasn't too bad at home on my CRT but on the 17" LCD im using atm it burns my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Great site gary, its a really nice design altho the red might be a bit strong :) Lookin forward to stage 2 already.

And a big thanks for the link to Ireland Offline too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Well, even if I didn't get the job that I sent in for - I'm still happy for you all.

Kick as$ site by the by, but it still reminds me of some kind of neon McDonalds ;) - it could be worse though, a neon burger king for instance :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Congrats on getting the site up and running Gary, hope it goes well for all concerned. My only criticism would be the red factor. Im forced to limit my viewing time due to it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the red?:confused:

N1 with the site and gl

well the worst complaints so far have been the red colour, which is what I sortof expected. So all good so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Cool site, anyone feel like playing gran turismo 3 after looking at the flash loading intro?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Great site gary, its a really nice design altho the red might be a bit strong :) Lookin forward to stage 2 already.

And a big thanks for the link to Ireland Offline too :)

Thanks Dusty... I neglected to ask the IrelandOffline lads could I use the banner but hopefully they won't mind the extra publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

nice job, one for the book marks, looking forward to stage 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Good job, I quite like the colour, to be honest. I don't like the flash intro though - what's the point? Straight to the content, I say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

looks good.. aside from the eye-burning.

But I don't think you deserve the slogan 'gamire, the real home of irish gamers', stick up a couple of public servers and then it'll be ok ;)

yeah that 'real home of Irish gamers' is a bit cheeky alright. But then we are a bit cheeky in real life so what the hell.

that Quake servers you're talking about :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by meglome
    But then we are a bit cheeky in real life so what the hell.
    you can say that again :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

hehe ok what can I say Repli

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Nice site. But the red and yellow, really, you have to change it.

A lot of people have sensitive eyes you know, especially if you spend all day at a PC. It really does burn :)

But seriously. I had to stop looking at the site. It's a health hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i dont know what youre all talking about. the red and yellow are great to look at.............. IF YOURE BLIND !! :) good luck with the site.

adnans

ok ok you bastards... we'll be changing the colour before Monday. Damn your feedback ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by phaxx
    Good job, I quite like the colour, to be honest. I don't like the flash intro though - what's the point? Straight to the content, I say...

we will look at this.

maybe I should not be saying this, but I also think it should be straight to the content.

for the moment bookmark http://gamire.com/gamire/ this goes straight to the latest/news page.

Monument
    gaimre.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah going through 2 pointless screens is just annoying. Sorry to whoever did the flash I'm sure ya love it etc. but come on :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Yeah going through 2 pointless screens is just annoying. Sorry to whoever did the flash I'm sure ya love it etc. but come on :)

I totally agree with you and will try my best to get them removed

Even thought work has gone into the intro pages, they are not a good idea because users will be turned off before even seen the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Intros are good on a website you visit once ina while but on somfin you adding to your favourites for news and stuff.

Good to hear the red is going i can cancel my UV DX10000 Laer vision glasses so :

Got a banner /button i can tag onto TMT??

kdja

Can't quite understand the whole big problem with the flash intro, just hit skip intro then bookmark the index page, probably take 10 seconds in total. There will be a skip intro box put in there shortly that will skip it all the time once you have it set in the cookie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Fair points, but I have to ask - what's the point of having it at all? Not trying to take away from the work you guys have done, it's pretty damn good, I'm just saying I don't think the flash intro serves any purpose.

Advertisement