Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer/JSP from posting

Options
  • 19-09-2002 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone out there has had this problem before.
    I'm running the lasted build of TomCat on Windows XP Pro. I've got a JSP application running on it. I'm finding that any clients which attach to it, when submitting forms (POST) the message "the page can not be displayed" appears. Only after closing the browser and deleting the cache can the form be submitted. Anyone know if this could be a problem with IE, TomCat or something else!

patrick-m
    patrick-m.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Im running tomcat on xp pro at the moment and I've never had any problems like that before. Does the code actually work, i.e. have you tried running it under a previous version of Tomcat? Have you tried running it under win2k/nt4. Have you tried running it with a different browser such as opera or netscape to determine if IE is the cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yep the code works fine. I've about 20 - 30 clients sending requests. Normally it works fine, but about 1 in 100 requests fail, thats when I've to clear the cache. The GUI is designed for IE and uses multiple frames.

patrick-m
    patrick-m.com

Have you tried it on a previous version of tomcat?

When you say that about 1 in 100 fails, what does tomcat report in the logs. Does it even recognise the attempted connection from the client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Jesus I thought this was going to be fairly straight forward until you told us that it only fails in once in every 100. Well just to save you on the cache thing with IE. If you hold Ctrl while either pressing F5 or clicking "Refresh" it will force the browser to connect to the server, as opposed to pulling the page from cache.

Oh yeah one thing that springs to mind with JSPs (this is a question). How can you distinguish a POST from a GET request. I know in Servlets you can use alternative service methods, but JSPs just respond to either.

Try using the two send methods and see if that makes any difference, probably not though. But it's all I can think of ATM. Coz for it work at all you must have the server configged properly.

;-phobos-)

Originally posted by phobos
    Oh yeah one thing that springs to mind with JSPs (this is a question). How can you distinguish a POST from a GET request. I know in Servlets you can use alternative service methods, but JSPs just respond to either.

;-phobos-) [/B]

Well you could override the service method and query the request object for the type of request, GET,POST etc... and store this locally. Then just use if statements to distinguish what request you are serving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by lynchie
    Well you could override the service method and query the request object for the type of request, GET,POST etc... and store this locally. Then just use if statements to distinguish what request you are serving.
    Shortly after posting that I actually thought of doing that. Cheers anyway mate, it could have been one of those things that kept me up all night. My doctor honestly doesn't recommend I get back in to that routine anymore. :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Couldn't you just expire the content returned from the query immediately? Something like inserting
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:21:57 GMT">

(replacing the date above with the current date and time, or some time in the past) at the top of the returned page would force IE to reload each time, I think?

Gadget

Advertisement