Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU rules aspects of VRT illegal !!

Options
  • 19-09-2002 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

from online.ie
    The European Court of Justice has ruled aspects of vehicle registration tax are effectively a form of double taxation.

The court has ruled this is illegal under the EU treaty.

The ruling was welcomed by the European Commission which has called for the abolition of the tax.

The Commission said states should ensure that their VRT systems did not impose a double taxation burden on those importing second hand cars from member states.

The ruling may affect the operation of Vehicle Registration Tax in other states, notably Denmark and Ireland, which also charge high rates of VRT.

Is the end in sight for this monstrous stealth tax ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

More /harmonisation/ than the /end/

Although to abolish it could be a shrewd political move so as to claim to be the party that abolished VRT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was about to start a thread in Motors on this, as thats where this thread should be, (or at least will get more views).

Anyway, its a small but important victory for the comsumer, only second-hand imports will be effected assuming justice is done, but
    I can already see the smarter used car dealer gearing up for
    importing of quality, prestige brand cars which have ex-fleet history
    and very low UK prices. They'll make a killing while offering the public a relative bargin.

On a related matter the EU backs cross-channel "booze crusies".
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020918/80/d9vsp.html

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I can see some people complaining about this on the basis that the trade-in value of their cars will be decreased (mostly because I've heard of a small amount of opposition based on this before) - presumably not realising that the "trade-out" (to badly coin a phrase) price of their next car will be less.

Good move forward - even if you just look at it from a tax harmonisation/natural justice/fairness POV. There really isn't much point in pushing towards a single market, single currency if intra-Union competition is effectively blocked by an individual government.

And on that basis I'll say "Yippee! About bloomin time"

Advertisement