Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will you be voting in the upcoming Nice treaty ?

Options
  • 19-09-2002 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    How will you vote in the upcoming Nice treaty ? I will be voting no anyway, If people vote yes, you are voting to make this country 2nd class, ask yourself, do you go swimming somewhere ? the pool was propaply part financed by the E.U, do you drve to work on a very good road, again alot of E.u money went into that road probally, no more money, coming here, if people votes, Yes, We already rejected it before, why should we vote again ? but yes we should go out in big numbers and vote NO, Bertie has spun a web of lies unlike no other, Remember "A lot done, more to do" all we hear of is cutbacks and job losses, if the E.U is enlarged, we will have no jobs, farming will be a waste of time, all big buisness will move to eastern europe, where workers will work, cheap, it is bad enough that so many have moved to the far east, already, And also the E.U will expect Ireland to contribute heavily to the E.U budget, and not recieve from it,

Vote No, Vote for Democracy And Ireland,

Regards netwhizkid

How will you be voting in the upcoming Nice treaty ? 77 votes

No
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    50% 39 votes
    Don't Know
    44% 34 votes
    Not Voting
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What an impartial thread!

"I THINK YOU SHOULD VOTE NO! I THINK YOU SHOULD VOTE NO! I THINK YOU SHOULD VOTE NO! I THINK YOU SHOULD VOTE NO! ... so... :) how are you going to vote, eh?"

(talk about a loaded question!!!)

I don't yet plan on voting at all, to be honest. Haven't had the interest or the inclination required to form an opinion on the mtter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I'm currently voting no because it's the way I voted the last time. I find the Nice Treaty to be fundamentally undemocratic.

I'll be voting no because, like the last time, I want the treaty to be renegotiated, and simplified.

I'll be voting no because nothing has changed - if I voted yes at this point, I'd be a hypocrite.

However, I'll be attending a Nice Treaty discussion in Trinity next month but if I change my mind it'll be because the substance of treaty has convinced me and not the opinions of a biased politico. And not some scaremongerer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

It's so easy to campaign for a 'No' vote. All you have to do is spew out some drivel like what netwhizkid has just posted, and you sound like you have something to say. The No2Nice campaign might pretend that they have the interests of this country at heart, but they don't. They don't have one argument that's plausible - if they do name it and explain it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

In fact I will be voting No as I did last time.
    I understood the issues the first time I voted on it and I regard revoting as an anthema to democracy.
    To save repeating this point I will refrain from doing that here yet again so here is a link where the former Attorney General supports my view point on this.

http://www.tax-news.com/asp/story/story.asp?storyname=9411

I intend to vote on what I think is right for this country, that is my decision as a voter and rather then trying to debase the 'entire' no side I believe the Taoiseach should be attempting to sell the merits of the Treaty.

Thus since his campaign seems to focus on undermining the campaign, the people and the manner of conduct of the no 'side' I must assume that the Taoiseach in fact does not find any merit in the Treaty save some scaremongering about "Irish jobs going" with another No vote. Strangely I would proport that Irish democracy will "go" with a Yes vote as I believe it will set a precedent whereby the government of this country will have refused to abide by a Plebiscite in favour of electoral malleability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I'm as yet undecided, but probably leaning towards a no vote. I actually need to have a good think about it one of these days :)

And Bard, the actual poll question wasn't loaded whatsoever. "How will you be voting in the Nice Treaty?" is hardly a trick question. Funnily enough, stating your own opinion along with starting a thread is actually encouraged on the Politics board. Would you rather he contravened one of the basic rules of the board and didn't give any opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

PH01 if you actually bothered to check out the other threads on this board about the Nice treaty you will notice that alot of people we are pushing for a no vote have backed up what they say with quotes from the treaty and well thought out arguements to supports their views (as have some of the yes camp). I agree that netwhizkid has not really backed up his views and fired out a fair few soundbites something that some (if not most) of the yes camp have been guilty of as well.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I voted no in the poll above... but after finding CB's private message (after so long) I actually bit the bullet and read the whole treaty, along with the Irish governments flyer (which syncs up with what is written).

After reading it, I can't see anything questionable about it, in fact I can see parts which will hurt Ireland if it does vote no. So I'll be voting yes.

I would like to see those who are voting no point out what they have a problem with, with the reference to part of the treaty (so I can read it), rather then quoting news sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I'll be be voting no primarily on the power issue. I very worried about the LARGE STATES calling the shots and the smaller states being marginalized in a two tier Europe. Even though I'm an employer, the exemption clause has me bothered also as a lot of my friends and relations work in the IT sector. more about this here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I was all for the yes campaign until I actually read the information about it. It has some very good ideas i.e. expansion, brining Europe closer together but this isn’t right for Ireland at the moment we need to develop more we need at least 5 to 10 years of investment and expansion [near the level of England], then expansion would benefit us as we would be able to stand our ground against the other members and attract business without tax incentives currently we cant. Think about these two situations:

Situation 1.
    Imagine if you were an international manufacturing company [such as DELL who employ about 4,500 staff in Ireland most unskilled or semi-skilled] would you move to Ireland where you would pay €7.80 per hour for a factory worker [starting rate of pay in DELL €.50 margin of error] or would you move to Poland where you will be able to get all the same facilities and access to the European market plus you will receive many government and EU incentives which you would no longer be able to receive in Ireland on top of this you can get people to work for around €3.00 per hour [which is a fare wage in Poland]

Situation2.
    Imagine if you were an international high technology company would you locate in Ireland where you would have expensive and sporadic access to broadband/phone calls, very poor public transport/roads/rail or you could locate in another EU member states such as Germany or France where you would receive cheap access to broadband/cheaper phone calls and an have access to extremely good services and transport, all this and it will cost you the same wages [the biggest single cost to high technology companies] you would also have the same company tax rate.
    If the niece treaty goes ahead in its current form this is what you will have plus there will be 1 million more farmers producing cheap food which will price Irish farmers out of the market and they will be thousands of migrant workers moving here as early as 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

I voted no last time. That was my chance to beat the government over the head with a stick. This time, I think the government is making the same blunders - but not through arrogance this time, but bloody desperation. They are frightened that if they tried to argue the treaty on its own merits they might fail, so they've taken things to the lowest level and are scaremongering similar to the no side.

I have to admit I was fairly appalled to be associated in my no vote with all the lechers, neysayers and people with political agenda's outside of the treaty who claimed a huge victory for themselves when they won. I sincerely believe alot of people wanted to give the government a lesson in controlling their own apathy and overconfidence; they couldn't give a **** about everything the No camp was claiming it meant. I don't think the current government has learned its lesson, instead it feels hard done by, but nor do I think this is the time to set them straight.

The way I see it, voting yes is a lesser of two evils. Ok so Nice treaty removes a heafty amount of power away from Ireland in terms of Europe, and gives Europe some more power to control the member states. But sure we've been having an unfair and disporportionate chunk of the vote; this redresses that by making voting based on population. Less power to us, but more fair to everyone in Europe. The current government was happy enough to do this, because Ireland was still coming out on top with plenty of commissioners and general political savey/tactics and sway. Alot of that goodwill is damaged; the government is bending over backwards to keep it in place "yes, we will sort out our stupid voters" etc. Also does anyone think that holding back the treaty is going to stop things changing anyway. More states are going to join, more workers are going to exists, (from those news paper clippings) Ireland is still going to allow them all to come here (why not if they want to work and pay taxes) and farming is still going to goto ****. Europe is going to keep moving towards the goals it has, with or without Ireland. Am I arguing that we conceed to Europe to keep ourselves in better terms with Europe? I suppose I am, and although unprincipaled, its no less unprincipaled that anyone else arguing we should hold out against Europe because it will benefit us too.

Voting no means desirision around Europe. Ok you might argue that if we hold out and (maybe) force a change to the treaty we will end up doing good for Europe; but I don't really believe it - since most of the issues against are not about whats good for Europe as a whole, but whats good for Ireland. I'm not sure we even know what we're voting against, mostly we're voting against being told what to do. The two tier Europe thing, happened by the fact that those larger countries are much more powerful, have large populations and significant economies. The new eastern european addittions will become much more important than Ireland: they arrive with large populations, cheap economies and over time they will probably come to match the first tier of europe for might - and it will only be then that someone can validly point out that there is an elitist set of European countries. But since the nice treaty supports power by population the newer countries should get their fair share of say.

Lets look at the scenario where we do vote about our concerns with the treaty and get a no result. Europe treats it like a grave insult, unfairly or not. To most people the mild hatred of the "selfish" Irish is water off our backs; but I know Denmark is only now washing of the stigma of being "those selfish **** who tried to hold things back" by us over taking them. Everyone at a government level in Europe wants to punish us, if only midly, and some sensationally want to eject us from Europe. We even wonder ourselves if we want to leave, maybe build ties with America or something. Europe continues towards its goals, Ireland's ability to veto further treaties is removed as much as possible, Ireland not consulted or included in anything - our position is as weak as it might have been with a Nice treaty, but also our voice has gone from "worthy" to "ignored".

With a No vote I can't really see the scenario where we come out winning, without any stigma and without being politically undermined for many years. I certainly don't think anyone can guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by netwhizkid
    ask yourself, do you go swimming somewhere ? the pool was propaply part financed by the E.U, do you drve to work on a very good road, again alot of E.u money went into that road probally, no more money, coming here, if people votes, Yes,

Dont forget to mention that there is no more money coming here if people vote no either. It has nothing to do with the Nice treaty.

Maybe you should go read it. You might be able to come up with a realistic explanation of how we will become second class then.

Of course, if you'd like to claim you have read it, maybe you'd like to justify your "no more cash if you vote yes" crap instead.

Personally - I wont be voting. Technically being an emigrant an all, I dont get a say.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Greenbean
    I have to admit I was fairly appalled to be associated in my no vote with all the lechers, neysayers and people with political agenda's outside of the treaty who claimed a huge victory for themselves when they won.

Bloody hell, so was I.

I've had some previous experience of that though - I voted no in the 1995 divorce referendum because I didn't agree with the actual wording of the amendment (notably the hot-wiring of the number of years into the constitution). On the whole I was pleased that that particular referendum was passed - on a personal basis I couldn't agree with the actual amendment and hence voted no.

The fact that Youth Defence (or whatever PR-happy name they're using these days) seem to be campaigning for a no vote won't be affecting my decision in any way. I won't be voting no to spite Fianna Fail and I won't be voting yes to spite Youth Defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I will be voting as the government has finally seen sense and planned the voting for a Saturday so students and people who live away from home can have a say.
    As of yet I don't know which way I'll vote cos tbh I really haven't read much information about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Imagine if you were an international manufacturing company [such as DELL who employ about 4,500 staff in Ireland most unskilled or semi-skilled] would you move to Ireland where you would pay €7.80 per hour for a factory worker [starting rate of pay in DELL €.50 margin of error] or would you move to Poland where you will be able to get all the same facilities and access to the European market plus you will receive many government and EU incentives which you would no longer be able to receive in Ireland on top of this you can get people to work for around €3.00 per hour [which is a fare wage in Poland]

I thgink that we as a rich nation will be expected to build motorways out in these countries. This is a a time when we have not a decent health or transport system.

We have voted No to this treaty already. We need to do so again.

How much are IBEC, FF, FG spending on this campaign?

Will FF be using the same tactics as the general election?

Its show time folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

As we know one of the biggest reasons the big fish are located in Ireland (eg Dell) is because of the tax incentives. If we get sucked into Nice they will eventually regulate these taxes and then Ireland will lose out to cheaper labour on the mainland.

That's just one of many reasons that have been discussed, there may be some reprocussions in voting no but that's not a certainty.

I'm voting no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Certainly I am of the opinion that "Tax harmonisation" will have disasterous effects for the Irish economy in terms of competitiveness with Ireland's Continental counterparts.

With a single tax rate across Europe (as has been called for by the French, and has been suggested to be "indensible" in certain areas subservient to Qualifed Majority Voting), Ireland will be at a disadvantage due to the location of Ireland to "core" European markets. With transportation costs ostensibly being higher and a largely inferior and under invested in internal transportation infrastructure to Ireland's continental counterparts, it would make more sense in a Europe of Uniform tax rates to simply locate production facilities on the Continent itself. So since Ireland would no longer be a tax haven, a large impetus to invest in this country would be totally negated, thus affecting competitiveness and the affluence of the nation.
    From http://www.cps.org.uk/eurotax.htm
    While it remains the Commission's view that a move to qualified majority voting at least for certain tax issues is indispensable, the legal basis will, for the present, remain unanimity.

But here is a quote from the French Prime Minister Lionel Jospin in March of this year.
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/opinion/Full_Story/did-sg1P6sOjgLu0s.asp

(2) Lionel Jospin, French Prime Minister: 'I propose, in terms of corporate tax, that the tax bases should be harmonised and that a minimum rate should be fixed. This would be the first step towards a European tax furthermore, I propose that, Internal Market should be made by QMV [Qualified Majority Voting] and not by unanimity'.

(Election manifesto, March, 2002).

Thus I propose that increased European integration will infact imply a higher rate of taxation in Ireland and that enhanced co-operation is a device to that end.
    From http://www.cps.org.uk/eurotax.htm
    We must finally take action to stop any behaviour detrimental to the general European interest.

This attitude perpetraded by the staunch European Federalists effectively explains how it is the European Federalists have pressurised Ireland into abrogating it's own democracy by a re-run of the Nice Treaty, at least in my opinion said re-run is an abrogation.

To my mind it is a fallacy of logic it proport that the Treaty of Nice is all about equating greater democracy into the European Union, whilst flatly refusing to accept the democratic decision of a member state. I have said it before so I won't bang on about it in perpetuity.

What I must take issue with Greenbean specifically on is the notion that 'somehow' a vote is a form of tender to 'beat' the government with. To my mind such notions are an utter nonsense. Vote on the treaty on it's merits, not because you want to put Youth Defence's nose out of joint or stick it to the man and upset the Taoiseach.

I fundamentally believe that as a nation Ireland's best interests are not served by entering into an embryonic Federalist arrangement that will allow for a two tiered European model where a so called "Avant Garde" of Federalism may effectively create a European Army, "Harmonise" tax, or draft a Constitution and enact courts to enforce that Constitution that supercedes the authority of the participant nations, and then pressurise non participant countries to acquiece to join at a later date.

If you really think about how much say over the governance of this country the Irish voter will have in a Federal Europe as opposed to a Europe of participant nation states who reatin control of key areas such as taxation, foreign policy and which courts and laws the nation is ultimately subservient to, I think you will find that being a mere four million in a Supra Nationalist State of five hundred million will not give Ireland effective control over the method, machisma and process of governance that a nation in fact needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Typedef
    Certainly I am of the opinion that "Tax harmonisation" will have disasterous effects for the Irish economy in terms of competitiveness with Ireland's Continental counterparts.
    And what exactly is your point? Tax harmonization is specifically excluded from qualified majority voting under the Nice Treaty. More FUD from the No side (not that the yes side haven't been guilty of this as well).
    Thus I propose that increased European integration will infact imply a higher rate of taxation in Ireland and that enhanced co-operation is a device to that end.
    Nonsense. The only way taxes can be harmonized under the Nice Treaty is if the Irish government agrees to it.
    a two tiered European model where a so called "Avant Garde" of Federalism may effectively create a European Army, "Harmonise" tax, or draft a Constitution and enact courts to enforce that Constitution that supercedes the authority of the participant nations, and then pressurise non participant countries to acquiece to join at a later date.
    More FUD. The Nice Treaty has nothing to do with a common defence,tax harmonization or a European constution. Some EU members would be able to proceed with enhanced cooperation in these areas, but there is no way for them to coerce Ireland into joining them.

Nonsense. The only way taxes can be harmonized under the Nice Treaty is if the Irish government agrees to it.
    Like fishing rights in our own water.

And of course judging by the Irish Governments past history on European dictates (i.e.: We don't care how your people voted run that ref again to until you get the right result!) they will agree to anything Prodi and Brussels tells them to do.That's were the future fat Euro pensions lie for all FF, FG Labour members. Gravy train first......everybody else second.

Protect Your Job and everybody elses NO TO NICE

• Advertisement

And remind me again how a no vote to Nice will protect us from the venality of our own politicians?

If Bertie wanted to sell us out so he could retire in Brussels, he could do it under the existing treaties. Nice won't make it any easier or any more difficult.

If Bertie wanted to sell us out so he could retire in Brussels, he could do it under the existing treaties. Nice won't make it any easier or any more difficult.
    Are you for Real?
    You think FF, Fg, Labour are doing this for the good of our own country? Nice will make a very good EU Superstate with Germany and France at the helm. Lets face it as we have seen here power corrupts. More centralized power with Nice will make Main Party Politicians mouths water.

NICE=
    Ibec: .cheap labour influx
    Church: Poland joins. Loves poverty.
    Unions: more subs more money power for Gegarty et al.
    FF: were there's power and money for the boys.
    FG: as above and the "military co-operation NATO MONEY NATO woops no.. EU rapid reaction force" they've always wanted.
    Labour: hopefully a "Socialist" Europe like Proncias always wanted...oh yeah with the Mercs too!
    Irish Citizen???? Job security down the drain. American investment going east. A massive loss of Power. No say in Europe except through our very trustworthy Irish Political reps.

NO to Nice=

Germany, France.....Deutschland / Franc uber alles!! Ve have Vays of Meeking you Vote Yez!!

Re-negotiation for Ireland and the smaller states for a better and more representative Europe. As should have been the case last year. But Bertie just couldn't say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

How many times are you going to post this picture on politics daithi1? Does posting it a second (or even third, fourth, fifth) time make it's effect any more or less pronounced. Do you think that voting no to nice will stop immigration and an influx of workers into ireland for political and/or economic reasons?
    More centralized power with Nice will make Main Party Politicians mouths water.
    Would you care to explain this statement? No politician wishes to abrogate his/her power to anyone, least of all 'establishment' politicians who oftentimes appear ineffectual and inept when dealing with many issues that pertain to the Irish people. (I presume by centralised, you mean centralised in Europe btw).
    Ve have Vays of Meeking you Vote Yez!!
    Indeed. When I was up in Dublin yesterday I saw the no posters which depicted someone who had a gun held to their head with the slogan "don't be bullied into voting yes" and so on. Interesting that some elements among the no side should try to sell their side, not based on the treaty itself, but on the perceived scaremongering of the yes side. Of course these wouldn't be the same elements that accuse the yes camp of not trying to sell the treaty based on its merits, but on scaremongering?

I think that both sides have resorted to scaremongering and 'dirty tactics' to try to acheive the desired result. This has led to a lot of bitter contention between both sides in the debate.

How many times are you going to post this picture on politics daithi1? Does posting it a second (or even third, fourth, fifth) time make it's effect any more or less pronounced. Do you think that voting no to nice will stop immigration and an influx of workers into Ireland for political and/or economic reasons?

Brian Cowen at the behest of his IBEC (Berties best pal is Ibec frontman) counterparts negotiated this exemption plan to allow Ireland now to be the only country (Sweden, Denmark and Netherlands are now chaing their stance) to let up to 80 million or more workers to walk in to this country unrestricted to work. Germany, France and others have blocked the same workers from entering their jurisdiction from the Jan 1st 2004 date because it will cause major unemployment in their service and It sector industries THEY SAID. We on the other hand have our IRISH POLITICAL REPS so called negotiating on our behalf in Europe whilst really their they're paying of their mates in IBEC with cheap labour and forcing Irish people with €280,000 mortgages to compete with people who will sleep 20 to a room in substandard accommodation for the opportunity to earn more than the €45 a week they get back home in Check republic or Poland. COMMENCEMENT DATE 01/01/04 /
    Voting NO TO NICE will make Irish Politicians and the Eurocrats more accountable to the European People (weather it be the subject above or others) by getting politicians to re-negotiate the Treaty for Irish People and the other smaller states.
    NOW..if there was overall access by the new member states to EU states it would lessen the impact on our economy and in the long run (yes I agree) probably even help it... But Cowen, Harney and Bertie can't wait to bankroll their pay master packaging, construction company owners which I wont mention here.
    And I don't post the picture I provide a link to it as I think its very important.

On European federal centralized power yes I do think it has great financial rewards for any Irish MEP who can jump on the Gravy Train. I remember one guy back during the Mastrict referendum with large bus posters sayin Frank says no to Mastrict! He then under Democratic Left went for a job in Europe and got it. Now he's sitting pretty and calling for a yes to Nice...Twice!
    When I was up in Dublin yesterday I saw the no posters which depicted someone who had a gun held to their head with the slogan "don't be bullied into voting yes" and so on.
    Calling another referendum within 12 months on the same Treaty after the decision has been made by Irish people couldn't be called anything else!! but Bullying!

Originally posted by Meh
    And what exactly is your point? Tax harmonization is specifically excluded from qualified majority voting under the Nice Treaty. More FUD from the No side (not that the yes side haven't been guilty of this as well).Nonsense. The only way taxes can be harmonized under the Nice Treaty is if the Irish government agrees to it.More FUD. The Nice Treaty has nothing to do with a common defence,tax harmonization or a European constution. Some EU members would be able to proceed with enhanced cooperation in these areas, but there is no way for them to coerce Ireland into joining them.

I agree - that the EU could never bully or coerce Ireland. Even without vetos in certain areas or without an automatic right to a commissioner.

"They (i.e. the other EU States) are fully entitled to continue their own ratification procedures and IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WRONG FOR ME to go to Gothenburg and try to press them to stop." (Dail Debates, 21 June 2001Vol.358, Col. 1011)

This is what Taoiseach Bertie Ahern told the Dail after getting back from the EU summit in Gothenburg, Sweden, following Ireland's No to Nice on 7 June last year.

Originally posted by dathi1
    people who will sleep 20 to a room in substandard accommodation for the opportunity to earn more than the €45 a week they get back home
    Wow, and to think it was only ten years ago when the same xenophobic stereotypes were applied to Irish people seeking work in other countries. How quickly we forget.

If the rest of the EU had shared your attitude of "Keep the poor people out" back in the eighties, it's pretty sure that we'd still be in the economic dark ages.

As for your allegations that immigration will destroy the Irish economy, look at the US. Despite having much more lenient immigration and naturalization procedures than the EU, the US economy has seen faster growth and dramatically lower unemployment than the EU over the past few decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

We already rejected it before, why should we vote again ?
    The government is elected to serve the people’s interests.
    The government believes it is in the people’s interests for this country to ratify the Nice Treaty.
    Therefore it is right and proper for the government to hold another referendum to try to get this country to ratify the Nice Treaty.

The Nice Treaty was rejected in the previous referendum because of the sheer laziness and arrogance of the Yes campaign combined with the brazen mendacity of the No campaign. It is not unreasonable to believe that if the Yes campaign treat the electorate with respect this time, the result will be reversed.
    Strangely I would proport that Irish democracy will "go" with a Yes vote as I believe it will set a precedent whereby the government of this country will have refused to abide by a Plebiscite in favour of electoral malleability.
    Typedef, is it “democratic” to deny the electorate the right to change their minds?
    PH01 if you actually bothered to check out the other threads on this board about the Nice treaty you will notice that alot of people we are pushing for a no vote have backed up what they say with quotes from the treaty and well thought out arguements to supports their views (as have some of the yes camp).
    Really? I’ve checked out the other threads on Nice and couldn’t find a single well thought out anti-Nice argument. Would you care to point one out?
    I would like to see those who are voting no point out what they have a problem with, with the reference to part of the treaty (so I can read it), rather then quoting news sites.
    I think we both know that ain’t gonna happen.
    My only major reservation about voting Yes is the exemption clause that some of the other countries have that we don't.
    You do realise that this has nothing to do with the Nice Treaty itself? The best you could possibly hope to achieve by voting No would be to slow down the enlargement process, which would be a pretty stupid reason to vote No.
    Re-negotiation for Ireland and the smaller states for a better and more representative Europe.
    And how exactly would you like to see the Nice Treaty changed? Specifically that is, not “I want Europe to be more accountable to the people” kind of ****e.
    When I was up in Dublin yesterday I saw the no posters which depicted someone who had a gun held to their head with the slogan "don't be bullied into voting yes" and so on.
    It just shows you the mentality of the No to Nice shower doesn’t it? Absolutely brain-dead.
    "They (i.e. the other EU States) are fully entitled to continue their own ratification procedures and IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WRONG FOR ME to go to Gothenburg and try to press them to stop." (Dail Debates, 21 June 2001Vol.358, Col. 1011)

This is what Taoiseach Bertie Ahern told the Dail after getting back from the EU summit in Gothenburg, Sweden, following Ireland's No to Nice on 7 June last year.
    So?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Originally posted by Meh
    As for your allegations that immigration will destroy the Irish economy, look at the US. Despite having much more lenient immigration and naturalization procedures than the EU, the US economy has seen faster growth and dramatically lower unemployment than the EU over the past few decades.
    What are you talking about? How can you possibly compare the Irish and US economies when it comes to immigration? To put it into perspective, the US has a $300 billion/yr defence budget. The Irish Government have plans to slash Public spending by €1Billion this year.

Ireland is in trouble with immigration. The influx of (mostly unskilled) refugees over the last few years will cost the government big money in welfare payments and seriously damage the Irish economy.
    Wow, and to think it was only ten years ago when the same xenophobic stereotypes were applied to Irish people seeking work in other countries. How quickly we forget
    As far as I was aware the majority of Irish emmigrants were skilled, hard-working people seeking a better life elsewhere because they didn't have the oppertunities here. Now I'm all for letting skilled people into Ireland to better their chances in life but ffs we shouldn't be waving a green card at everyone in the EU with the state of the economy at the moment.

If the Irish people are bullied and deceived into voting Yes in October to exactly the same Nice Treaty as they rejected in June last year, it will devalue referendums not only in Ireland but in every European country. Itwill show that a people's democratic decision can be ignored and overthrown
    . . . That a people's No to an EU Treaty changes absolutely nothing.

Thr purpose of this is to clear the way for massive advertising by privateinterests in the Nice Repeat, who will have vastly greater money than the No side. Unlike the Referendum Commission's publicly funded advertisements, moroever, such private advertising need not be grounded in the facts of the
    Nice Treaty. We can expect the Yes-side advertisements to concentrate on irrelevant material - for example that a rejection of Nice will imperil Irish membership of the EU,when of course it does no such thing

• Advertisement

xenophobic stereotypes
    My best friend is a Malaysian Doctor. Most of my friends are immigrants living and working here. I am a purveyor of ethnic and world music. I am against deportation but in favour of strict immigration control. I'm sorry but I cant fit neatly into your stupid stereotypes.
    As for your allegations that immigration will destroy the Irish economy, look at the US
    The USA is a massive continent with 250 million people all of which are immigrants from all corners of the globe. They HAVE strict immigration control as we have seen with the deportation of 10 Irish Nationals last week.
    Ireland is a small country on the northwest peripherals of Europe with a Native population of just under 3.9 million. we cannot afford to have the current illegal immigration influx of 10,000 a year from outside the EU at a cost to us of €450,000,000 a year and on top of that the EXCLUSIVE UNRESTRICTIVE ACCESS by workers of new member states on 01/01/04. I know that some No to Nice people disagree with me on immigration i.e. Typedef ect.. but having a legitimate concern for the security of peoples jobs and housing in this country is not a racist or xenophobic issue.

Advertisement