Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potentially bad news for FTV card holders.

• 20-09-2002 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Sky channel 999 in how to get more out of sky section tells you
    that we will all be recieving a new Sky card between now and December.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stiabhna

I'm sure this will not affect FTV cards, as all BBC license payers would have to be issued with one and I can't see SkY forking out the money for it.

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

hmm no audio there at present

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just reading that. I see they new cards will have new software. I wonder what this new software will do.

I wonder what they new cards look like since i have not got the new mag yet i cant look at the picture of the card.,

Also why they doing this. It was not cracked etc. I will have to ring and let me cousin know to send the new FTV card to me.

Will i have to ring up to get it authorsied again. Maybe thats there plan.

Or will it come fully authorised if they are new FTV cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

I smell the hovno.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Confirmed Sky sending out new V2 cards

"During November sky will be sending out new viewing cards as there have been a few reports around of sky being hacked. So if you have a subscription in your own name at your own UK address you will get a new card sent to that address if you have not then you are going to be without sky. This also applies to BBC cards, From what Sky have told me the old blue cards will be switched off before christmas. (V2 is my own word not a sky term)"

I found this whils surfing through this site

http://disc.server.com/Indices/176595.html

this guy seems sure that bbc cards will be also affected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

This was going to happen sometime no matter if $$$ky was/is hacked or not. If you leave a working card lying around long enough the encryption system will become vunerable. By sending out new cards $$$ky is trying to keep the Videoguard system secure by completely renewing one end of the encryption system.

Sources saying Videoguard has been hacked aren't new - there have been claims in Italy and the USA.

If they are sending out new cards I'd say they will be updating them all - it'll be too foolish to update $$$ky cards only while leaving FTV cards in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

The biggest problem of all is that it says on channel 999"with a couple of simple instructions you can set up your new card"

It looks like they are going to get everyone to activate card over the telephone line,,

Another point ,Is it possible that they are now going to get rid of FTV cards now that DTT is becoming more widely available .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hi,
    I myself don't have a bbc ftv card, but if sky issue new viewing cards, will they be looking for the old ones back, if they do would they be able to tell, that i have around £35 of films etc on the card that are not paid for, sky's fault they never sent me a bill !, so anybody know an nswer to these q's if so reply,

Regards netwhizkid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

We'll just have to wait and see what happens! Thank feck I didn'y buy my 'FREE to view card' if your gonna have to go and replace it in the coming months!

Another thing, I still have never recieved the Sky magazine, whats the story with that, I have been subscribed for nearly two months.

mfield.

Firstly, when the new cards are sent out they will be activated already, and secondly they will not be looking for the old card back as that will be useless to them.

I rang up sky today and the lady on the phone confirmed to me that as from Oct 1st for a period of 12 weeks all sky & bbc cards will be replaced. As regards activating them, each card will have the same number as your old and will only work in the original digi-box. An over the air software update will take place over the coming weeks to get your box ready for your new card. When the new card arrives its just a matter on taking out the old and putting in the new. No telephone line needed.

I can only presume that all new subscriptions after Oct 1st will get the new cards.

All this was confirmed by a phone call to sky.

• Advertisement

Fast Digi ,Good on you,i only hope you are correct,otherwise i have to send two boxes back to Ireland to get it done.

SORRY////Sky Digi

Just an update on our FTV Cards being replaced.

I rang the BBC free to view phone number twice this morning and I enquired if they were going to be changing there FTV cards. On both occasions I was told by the operator that they were aware of Sky’s plans to change their cards but that as far as they knew there were no plans in place to change FTV cards.

Now this is a contradiction as to what Sky told me yesterday. I was told that all Sky subscribers in the UK and Eire and also BBC FTV card holders would be having their cards replaced over the coming months.

So we are still unsure whether or not our FTV cards will be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Can someone please advise best course of action

I have ex UK Sky Sub Box/card. All working perfecto for the past year ( I am based in Limerick)

Scenario.. Sky upgrade cards . My system no longer perfecto...

Options-1. I contact my supplier who was a private individual in North West UK he may be able to get the upgrade card for me
    (for a fee obviously).

Option 2. Family live in UK. They are subscribers to Sky Sports World .Could they 'buy' a 2nd digibox and apply for a FTV card for use as an alternative viewing method in their house. (This would obviously be my digibox).

Is the 2nd option especially feasible. If so,should I wait to be cut off or take action now.

Appreciate response.

THanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Now, i rang BBC as well and they said they werent being replaced. But that if it was to happen, it will be done automatically and the card would be sent out in a blank envelope (for security purposes) and it would be already activated.

This is more likely to be a procedure for Sky sub cards though, i cant see it happening to FTV cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Can someone reply to this please.

Also, I believe FTV cards will all have to be upgraded.This will be feasible as only a small minority of UK Viewers watch their TV on Sky digital!

Can someone please advise best course of action

I have ex UK Sky Sub Box/card. All working perfecto for the past year ( I am based in Limerick)

Scenario.. Sky upgrade cards . My system no longer perfecto...

Options-1. I contact my supplier who was a private individual in North West UK he may be able to get the upgrade card for me
    (for a fee obviously).

Option 2. Family live in UK. They are subscribers to Sky Sports World .Could they 'buy' a 2nd digibox and apply for a FTV card for use as an alternative viewing method in their house. (This would obviously be my digibox).

Is the 2nd option especially feasible. If so,should I wait to be cut off or take action now.

Appreciate response.

THanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if FTV cards are to be replaced you could always ask who gave you your current one to forward on the replacement (if they are nice people). why? because it's already been paired with your box.

also i have been meaning to go the seperate digibox route for the FTV channels so this could be the kick up the arse that i need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Good job I'm still in contact with the original owner of my ex-NI Sky sub digibox!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Jez,

Obviously with an expired Sky card, you will probably be cut off. I guess this is an important distinction - while ex sub cards are effectively BBC cards, if new sky cards are issued, they will no longer work. BBC cards 'proper' on the other hand may not be effected at all.

Option 2 would be very expensive. A new unsubbed digibox costs £300, if you add postage from your relatives to ROI, budget for in excess of €500.

If you are doing this, maybe try to get hold of a second hand or reconditioned box - but you would still be looking at €250 or more.

Why not contact the guy you got the box from. Unless he is completely mercenary he will probably send you on a BBC card for nothing or a nominal fee - the card will cost him a phonecall and a stamp. Even if he charges you, a fair price would be far less than option 2.

Alternatively, try an option 3. Ask your relatives to get a new card when they are issued, then send your box details to them, have it paired, and sent to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Those in sky must be laughing their arses off with the amount of stupid rumours about cards and "WHAT IF?"... As for BBC cards, as Damo said above.. Just as well etc Me too.
    Lads, lets just see what happens..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well I got my card from a guy on boards.ie who was good enough to sort one out for me at a reasonable price. I hope FTV cards don't need to be replaced. Maybe Sky will leave these cards alone but if FTV viewer wants to subscribe, then Sky will issue them a new Version 2 card?

If not, I'll try to get in contact with my card source and hopefully, he will sort me out! :)

Willl the current ftv card cease to work or will it continue to work without the new software,i'm sure we can live without new software as long as we can view BBC,ITV,CH4=5 etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

A few more thoughts:

If an FTV card was activated in the days prior to them asking for box serial numbers, would the new card work automatically?

If S4C Digidol was activated on the old card, would it have to be re-activated on the new card?

Would ITV/C4/five still work on the old card?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Question ? - Does the digicard hold the details about your Box Office purchases ??

If so - what is to stop you running up a bill (to the credit limit) with the phone disconnected so there is no dial back - and when Sky issue the new cards you never get billed ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

I'm fairly new to Sky Digital and have not purchased any Box Office movies yet but surely to get the movie shown in the first place you first have to order it while connected to the phone line, or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

So has anyone confirmed that FTV cards are being replaced as well as subscription cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

As a point of interest - the ad in the Sky magazine says that because there are so many cards to be replaced, it will take a while. It says not to worry if you have not received your replacement card by Christmas.

So it seems that the old cards won't be deactivated until after Christmas at the earliest. At least it's slightly good news for those who want to watch the festive TV on digital BBCs, Channel 5 etc. It also gives people some time to make other arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

It would be advisable not to stick in your new sub card until you are forced to by Sky. You might be without FTV on your other cards if you do. Wait for the threathening letter first.
    It seems that the old and new encryption algorithms are running in parallel, probably till after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Ok, here is the definitive answer to this one,
    it has taken a while for Sky to update the people
    working for BBC in Scotland who send out FTV cards,
    but they finally have and on my fourth time ringing,
    they gave me a different answer then they did the
    previous times.

"All Sky cards are being replaced, Subscription and FTV".

One of the strangest and quite frightening things i notcied about the phone call, was the inquisitive nature and knowledge of the girl i was talking to.
    She immediately shocked me, after i had asked would they be replaced, and she has said yes, she said, do you not have a card already?, and when i said no she seemed quite surprised,
    as if she had it in front of her, the subscripiton details for my phone number easily cross referenced. I explained to her that i was ringing from the south of ireland from a freinds, but that i actually lived in Northern ireland.

She accepted this, i then asked her would it require only phone line to digibox activation, when we got these new cards that were being sent, and she said you could still phone them to get them activated.

Finally on the subject of what it says in the sky magazine, that new customers may already have gotten a new card, i asked when would the FTV helpline be able to send out these new cards for first time and she said by next week, they will be shipping them.

The phone call was very dodgy, the lady seemed to know too much, and in fact i couldnt stop her talking(a rarity).
    They are going to be doing everything possible to stop non uk residents getting a card activated, i can just feel it.

I may very well order one next week, to my uk address, and get the uk relative to do the phone call, just so i can have it done, and
    that this worry can be taken away from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i wonder when will these new cards hit irish shores. i wont be putting it in my sky box until some here reports no problems with FTV cards and normal sub cards in the same box.

i must get on to my cousin and tell him that a new card will be arriving soon and to forward it on to me.

Advertisement