Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33.6Kbps connection on 56k device, new Win2k install is the cause

• 20-09-2002 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

This isn't really a BIG issue, but after doing a clean install of 2k pro just there, I am only able to connect at 33.6. This is really annoying me coz I usually get around 47-49k on my 56k modem.

I don't recall this happening before, so I don't have any experience with playing with me TCP/IP settings under this OS. To get my transfer rates up to speed, should I simply download one of the connection evaluators/enhancers that are in abundance online?, or is there a quick fix method that I will slap myself over the back of the head upon arriving to my attention.

any help appreciated, advTHANKSance ;)

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Any chance it's your modem driver?

Could try upping the baud rate of your serial port (if it's an external) or the baud rate of the virtual COM port (if it's internal)

Any chance that it was just being incorectly reported last time?

What was the download rate when you went to d/l something in KiloBytes/sec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Any chance it's your modem driver?
    It could be, tis a silly Winmodem that I have (remember all the hassle under linux, but @ least I have a solid connection under that OS). I will investigate updating the drivers myself. But I'm lazy :rolleyes: (and am looking for the quick way out).
    Could try upping the baud rate of your serial port (if it's an external) or the baud rate of the virtual COM port (if it's internal)
    Tis internal, and the baud rate is set to MAX(115200), and the device is working properly (blah blah blah). But one thing that I'm noticing and actually I must have had a different driver, because my modem is connected to the sound card, and I'm not hearing anything like I did before (tis gone all quiet). But when I check out the profile in Device manager, it seems the same as before (this is weird). I know I'm forgetting something here, but I honestly don't recall doing anything different before. Feck, why didn't I keep a log of these things :mad:
    Any chance that it was just being incorectly reported last time?
    Nah I don't think so
    What was the download rate when you went to d/l something in KiloBytes/sec?
    TBH while I'm browsing boards here, it seems quite fast, and I don't have much in cache. The download rate is going to be MAX(33.6 / 8)kbps.

Now that I think about it, I would say my best bet is to get a driver update, it kinda makes most sense. But as a last thought, when you install any Windows distro, isn't the TCP/IP configed to suit LANs over dial-ups. I read that somewhere before, and it's only after you do a bit of tweaking you can get windows to understand that we live in a country where phat pipes are few and far between.

cheers :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭jd

odds on its the driver to be honest-what kind of modem is it...

Try the windows 2000 online update and see if it picks up a new driver on the site...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Odds are very strong that it's down to the driver.

Whenever I reinstall Windows it recognises my 3com Pro Message modem as either a sportster or a standard modem and connects at anywhere between 9.6 and 33.6. Popping the Win98 driver on a Win2k install (yeah, silly, I know) and completely ignoring the 3com advice about installing it as a courier (which still gives under 33.6) gives me a steady 49.2(+) every single time.

Yeah it has to be the driver alright. So anyway I rooted out my System CD (Gateway driver CDROM). On it is some 2000 drivers, including a modem driver. When I do a manual update of the driver, and point 2k to the location on the CDROM, is says "No thanks, I'm quite happy using /windows/system/[some_generic_fecker].inf

Anyway that system CD is dated 1999, so I doubt it's the best place to be looking, eventhough it does have a dir associated to 2k drivers.

Modem Type: Conexant HCF 56K PCI Modem
    Once again, I should point out that it's a WinModem, coz I found that out while installing Linux a while back.

A 2k driver for this device anyone?

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by phobos
    Yeah it has to be the driver alright. So anyway I rooted out my System CD (Gateway driver CDROM). On it is some 2000 drivers, including a modem driver. When I do a manual update of the driver, and point 2k to the location on the CDROM, is says "No thanks, I'm quite happy using /windows/system/[some_generic_fecker].inf

Oh, mine does that too. Make sure (after grabbing it from jd's link) you just install it as a new device, then make sure you change the dialup settings so it uses your shiney new driver.

Thanks for the help lads

appreciated ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You can force hardware to use whatever driver you want, just choose "Choose one manually" or whatever, it'll prick about, then it'll ask you if you want to continue using your current one or choose one from the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by phobos

Tis internal, and the baud rate is set to MAX(115200), and the device is working properly (blah blah blah).

I don't know if it affects connection speeds, but having it set higher than the modem rate can cause disconnects, or so I've heard. Try setting it to 57600 for a while to see if that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement