Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing for current box and custom box please

• 21-09-2002 12:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I guess this should really go in Wanted, but I'm not sure I'd grab the attention of the people I want in there. If the mods feel like moving it, that's fine, but I'd appreciate if ye'd leave a redirect. Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new workstation before the end of the year, and I know there's a few people in here that build boxes, so I'd appreciate your help. I'm looking to put a price on my current machine, and get a price and spec for a new machine, built and delivered.

The current box is a 1GHz AMD Gateway Select 1000, with 650MB RAM, 20GB HDD, GeForce2 GTS, standard Sound Blaster. I'd like to get a 21" monitor with the new system, so the monitor is a 19" Gateway. If it'll add value, I can add an MS Natural Pro, and an MS Intellimouse Explorer; or bog-standard items if it won't. So what's it worth?

The main priority with the new system is flat-out speed. I'm incorrigibly impatient with my computers - Dreamweaver MX is like a red rag to a bull - and I tend to work with a dozen or more windows open, from multiple apps. I'm not a gamer, but I like to have a nice sound and video setup. I favour AMD processors, but that's only because they're not Intel, so I'll take that under advisement. Hardware should be top of the line, but not cutting-edge, i.e. it should have been on the market long enough for any horrible bugs to show up. (It'll need to run Red Hat too.)

I need two big, fast hard drives, a CD-RW and a DVD or DVD writer if they're not too expensive. I also need a Zip drive, and I'd like a black aluminium Lian Li case or similar, if the drives can be sourced with black faces. If you can get me the keyboard and mouse mentioned above too, I'll take one of each. I wouldn't mind some fudgies too, like LED fans[1] or neons, but it's not really important. So what kind of spec would you advise, and how mush would it knock me back?

Any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks,
    adam

[1] http://www.antec-europe.com/c_ledfan.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Adam check your mail. I sent one to adam@ the domain name.

I compiled a reply but it was too big to PM to you or post here.

Thanks

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Fair point Dave, but like I said, I'd take it under advisement.

So nobody wants to build a rig for dahamsta then, no? How about putting a price on me current box?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I'll build you a rig, I do not have the time right this minute, since I've just started back to 4th year at college. You say before the end of the year, I'd be able to sort you out in a months time. I also don't know what price to put on your machine, but why don't you start off at the high end ( pick a big number ) on the for sale board, and work your way down gradually. I'm sure you'll be able to handle the abuse you will get at the start :) I would not throw in the ms mouse and keyboard if you have decent bog standard ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Gerry, and thanks to everyone else who replied too. I'll troll this back up from the depths in a month or so.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement