Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Cablenet update

Options
  • 21-09-2002 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I signed up with Cablenet on 22 August it's been a month now since I’ve had the service, I said I’d report back to let everyone know how it was going!

Well so far so good! My connection is generally at 300 + Mbit at all times during a 24 hour, upstream continues to be excellent too.

I'm very happy with it, after languishing with cruddy dial up from Eircom, SNL etc. for soo so long, it really fly’s!!!

I do web sites part time, so used to spend vast amounts of time online; I still shudder at the cost of all those phone calls. I'm sure Eircom will bemoan the fact that my bills will become minuscule in comparison to what they were prior to August. That's tough!....for them :)

I had one blip when i paid the installation fee and they billed me again on my first invoice, however a quick call to their customer service and it was sorted same day. I have no experience of their tech support, so i can’t really comment on that!

I know this service isn't available everywhere!... i'm in Clonmel.....but I must say I have no complaints whatsoever. I can't imagine why they're not rolling it out in other areas!

But once again I think without the formation of IrelandOFFLine we certainly would be the worse off as far as internet access is concerned, I realise there’s a good way to go yet, but things are starting to change. Let’s hope it gathers speed .

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by Fionn

Well so far so good! My connection is generally at 300 + Mbit
    u mean kbit u say the service is good but i doubt its that good :D
    I can't imagine why they're not rolling it out in other areas
    very few areas have the 2 way cable that is needed for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

oops........yeah Kbit :)

wishful thinking there!........lol

yeah i remember about two years ago they did an awful lot of road digging all over the place around here, obviously that was what it was for ....the two way cable, so it would seem that a lot more digging would have to be undertaken before more towns could be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Fionn
    Well so far so good! My connection is generally at 300 + Mbit at all times during a 24 hour, upstream continues to be excellent too.

/de jealous rebel starts thinking about moving to clonmel, but has doubts about his ability to cope during those occasional munster finals when tipp. manage an appearance …..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

/me wonders if i could run a two way cable from clonmel to limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

is this a residential product, or is it the "powernet" thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by netman
    is this a residential product, or is it the "powernet" thing?

Residential. It's substantially cheaper than Powernet, now that Chorus have dramatically increased the cost of Powernet (and stopped offering it to residential customers) in the last few months.

sorry, hit a reply before i did a search on google...
    expected to see product information on chorus.ie but no luck.
    found product information here:
    http://www.unison.ie/cablenet/

Originally posted by netman

expected to see product information on chorus.ie but no luck.
    http://www.unison.ie/cablenet/
    information on the chorus website hahaha thats a good one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

It's certainly nice to see that there are a handful of forward-thinking individuals within Chorus able to bring a product like this into existence.

These forward thinking individuals have no input into Customer Support however......

God help you if anything goes wrong.:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

......that a service like Cablenet can be offered yet the Capital City is still in the Dark Ages when it comes to Broadband. The rest of Europe must be having a great laugh at our expense.

• Advertisement

that's exactly what i was thinking.. at the same time when they're talking about population density and such crap, the only areas with decent broadband seem to be remote towns and villages.

i mean seriously, kilkenny... clonmel... ?
    they have like 50 people interested in the internet altogether!

like i said before in this thread it all depends on 2 way cable if all of ntl's cable in dublin was 2 way then everyone could get cable internet off them
    only new cable laid in the last few years will be 2 way

Advertisement