Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling & Grammar in Posting

Options
  • 21-09-2002 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Most People on boards are very good at putting thier point across, be it a clever bypassing of the sensored words or the flame that cuts deepest.....

......well i have to edit my messages two to three times for spelling and grammatical errors before I am happy with that piece of masterful posting (no doubt you'll show me what i screwed up on in this post)
    I, Michael McFaul, Writes Good
    Let me just say right off the bat that I am in the middle of an ongoing conflict with Stanford professor and Carnegie Fellow Michael McFaul, a conflict that involves lawyers on both sides and the very real possibility of future legal actions. For reasons that I hope eXile readers will understand, I can’t get into any of the substantive issues of that conflict right now, because... well, because I’d rather explain them to a judge first. But rest assured, before we’re through, the whole ugly ordeal will be presented in these pages in gross, merciless detail— and we guarantee that you will be shocked and horrified by the whole unlikely story when we do.

That said, I just can’t resist throwing a little sneak preview to the whole mess into this issue. Since I can’t touch on any of the meaningful issues, I’m going to have to restrict myself to one seemingly minor point— the inability of McFaul, a tenured professor at Stanford, to write so much as one sentence of proper English.

Pretty stern stuff........

The question really is, Does the spelling/grammar detract from the point being made by the poster?....I'm refering to the more serious discussions/threads

Im not talking about presentation, I'm sorry when i say that i sometimes I am tempted to skip over gopher's long posts :p , or knowing that when bonkey replies in politics that Leonardo is smiling down at him:) ......

IMHO no, but thats easy for me to say that when I am guilty as sin for the crime...my back up is the relevance to ART, where the point of the picture is usually not clouded by the mistakes of the Artist (unless the mistakes were part of the plan)...what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

^^^My attempt of a post^^^^

gah...i hate when it logs it as a Unreggie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

*yawn* Is this really a personal issue of interest to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If it's sloppy then it will detract from the point.
    Nobody wants to spend time trying to figure out what someone is trying to say.

Of course, people are lazy, they will just use slang in their posts.

And well Gopher needs to study his keyboard and find the space bar and enter key. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by Unregistered
    ['sensored' words or the flame that cuts deepest.....

......well i have to edit my messages two to three times for spelling and grammatical errors

I thought it was spelled censored, tis in the states anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

no, your right its censored, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i is purty bad at the ould grammar meself jim , so dont worry bout it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Originally posted by Makaveli

And well Gopher needs to study his keyboard and find the space bar and enter key. :)

Im a lazy bastard-ya happy?:D Though I was actually very good at english in school you may have noticed that theres quite a few spelling mistakes in my posts.The reason is that i type so fast the odd number or a neighbouring letter slip into a word by a slip of the corner of the finger.
    With being an errorcon customer me cant waste time editing my posts for small mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Anyone who posts using poor spelling, grammar and formatting is only doing themselves a disservice, because frankly far less people with bother reading the post and even if they do, they're much less likely to give any weight to the opinions presented in it.

This isn't discrimination in any form, it's just logic. If I see a post that's well formed and easy to read, I'll read it. If I have to trudge through a badly spelt nightmare with no punctuation or paragraph marks, I won't bother - after all, if the poster took so little care in writing it, it's probably not worth my time to decipher it, is it?

You have access to a first-class education in the English language until you're 18 years old. Use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

[Pedant]
    SOL
    your right its censored
    you're right, it's censored.
    Shinji
    ...far less people with bother reading the post and even if they do...
    ...far less people will bother reading the post and even if they do...
    [/Pedant]
    You have access to a first-class education in the English language until you're 18 years old. Use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

...far fewerpeople will bother reading the post and even if they do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What Shinji said.

I usually don't mind if people make the odd mistake, but the "your" / "you're" mistake always pishes me off :]

Advertisement