Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who think metallica are the best band ever and who is youre fav band

Options
  • 21-09-2002 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

whos ur fav band my fav band is metallica

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

i'd agree with you for the sole reason of the lyric 'i howl therefore i am' from of wolf and man off the black album, always brings a smile to my face.......

otherwise its weezer, therapy, pixies, clash, manics, mbv, sfa, replacements, nirvana, velvet underground, whipping boy and mercury rev

Solo elvis costello, lou reed, neil young, jeff buckley and bruce 'the boss' springsteen.......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

no competition here,
    - The Incredible Smashing Pumpkins

band of the moment?
    - Coldplay.....fukin brilliant album

and the other all time favs....
    U2, dEUS, MBV, Mogwai, Gemma Hayes, Snow Patrol,
    Doves, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Pixies, Garbage,
    and i can't forget Guns N Roses and Duran Duran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

eurgh....i hate metallica. I like one song by them, coincidentally called 'one'.

my fave band at the moment is probably low or air

im forcing myself to listen to all the cd's i buy and odnt listen to coz i keep lsitening to low and air and the cocteau twins. currently all is dream by mercury rev is getting a spin and its amazing, much better than their other stuff. Yeah the coldplay album's also amazing, and so's heathen by david bowie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Cat

Counting Crows r the Frames, too hard to decide between...

otherwise, obviously Smashing Pumpkins go in there, U2, Coldplay (there new album does rock, doesn't it??), Turn are incredible live, emmmmmmmmmmm................ can't think of ne1 else, i know there are way more tho.... I'll get back 2u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

They were the greatest metal band ever up till the black album, from 1983 to 1990 they were untouchable, the reason why i play guitar....they lost me with the black album and everything after it

Fav bands of mine ...Stones, Pixies, Chic , early Garbage, Beatles, Nirvana, Metallica 83-90, early suede, elastica, .......................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

metallica are quite the wonders. i vaguely remember seeing them in the point a few years back (many a spliff and the evening became a tad hazy), and what a show. man alive that was good stuff.

my favourite bands include nada surf, the frames, pearl jam, ani difranco, ben kweller, sleater-kinney, bikini kill (of the defunct variety), faith no more... and on and on. nada surf are numero uno.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

metallica are no longer a band, they're a corporation and have gone downhill since 1991 (even i at one point, being the biggest tallica fan, willing myself to like "load", but wondering why "of ****" wasn't added to the title)

they may as well retire.

Tool, now theres a band.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hey, 120 Minutes, thats my joke about Load you're using.

Otherwise, good point well made, good man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

And you went out and bought Load, I remember.....and liked it at the time....and tried to force me to like it as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Originally posted by beretta
    nada surf are numero uno.

all i know/remember from them is "popular" which i loved.
    so is that a taste for the rest of that song's album?
    i'd be interested finding it if it was.

on the metallica question, the only album i ever got into
    was black back in 91.
    since than the odd single has been good.
    before then, "one" is awesome but i don't like the old albums
    myself, i only found the odd bit of nice music when checking them
    out, "fade to black" is good. i only listened to cheesy rock
    music in the 80's (def leppard, whitesnake, poison, bon jovi etc.).
    i didn't have the older metal-head brother and i don't regret it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Originally posted by Silverfish
    And you went out and bought Load, I remember.....and liked it at the time....and tried to force me to like it as well.....

i was young, and stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭irokie

Metallica are my favourite band. have been for quite some time. p'raps not the best band ever. but i like them. i even like the black album and the things that came since. none of them will ever hold up to master of puppets, but at the same time, they're a different thing. the band has changed. to those of you who say that they don't likethe new stuff, i say would you rather they went on making the same stuff over and over, i mena look at Justice... there's a contrived album if ever i heard one. i once heard lars ulrich say that it'd gotten to the point where they'd look at a song and say "Sh** this song's only 5 minutes long, lets put in another 2 verses and a guitar solo". could you have standed a few more albums of that? and do you really want them to be like slayer or our dear departed megadeth? still clinging onto their childhood like a thirty-year old still living with his parents?
    i met hetfield and newsted at the last gig in the point. they were very cool.
    and could people who keep knocking load and reload please dig out load and listen to "the outlaw torn"?
    metallica were the reason i started playing guitar again. that song was the reason i got good.
    i can't wait for the next record and the ensuing tour. i want to see them live again and go insane for the breakdown in seek&destroy or just lay back on the mosh with my zippo out for hero of the day.
    i sounded cool up until that last paragraph, right?

Originally posted by bandit
    i'd agree with you for the sole reason of the lyric 'i howl therefore i am' from of wolf and man off the black album, always brings a smile to my face...

hate to disappoint this poor child, but it's "i hunt therefore i am".

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

T Rex or Joy Division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the fuz

i like some of metallica's stuff but not all,Faith No More on the other hand im obsessed with along with Pantera,Slayer, Killswitch Engage,In Flames,Primordial,5 Point O,Incubus and Guns n' Roses apart from the dick that is Axl Rose.

Originally posted by irokie

hate to disappoint this poor child, but it's "i hunt therefore i am".

sorry

Nooooooooooo whenever i felt down in this world i thought of that lyric and it ALWAYS put a smile on my face.....

looks like i'll have to find one of those smoking monkeys that lionel hutz has to amuse me now!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

The Kinks, Rage Against The Machine, Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

How on earth could anyone pick one favourite band????
    hmmm lets see...
    Radiohead The Smiths Gomez Idlewild Beatles Eels Led Zep

I could go on ... but i wont. By the way nice to see T Rex being appreciated!

Originally posted by bandit

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

This guy quotes Fight Club. I'm almost sorry i pointed out his mistake in yon lyrics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DG - Corrupted

In no particular order.....

Shadow,
    Carcass,
    Hypocrisy,
    In Flames,
    Anathema,
    Sentenced,
    Iron Maiden,
    Six Feet Under,
    Dark Tranquillity,
    Cannibal Corpse,

Metallica were great. Anything after Justice is pure ****ee
    though.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

Originally posted by knobbles

all i know/remember from them is "popular" which i loved.
    so is that a taste for the rest of that song's album?
    i'd be interested finding it if it was.

knobbles,

"popular" was famous for it's both it's novelty and comedic value. the lyrics for it were taken from a book printed in the 1950's, advising girls how to act and how to get a boyfriend. funny stuff. the music is definitely a taste of the album. "popular" comes off their first record, "high/low", which is great, though i would recommend their second release "the proximity effect" more. i urge you to go out and get it. the power of christ compells you! i could copy it for you if you'd like, either... i'm all up for spreading the joyous word o' the surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jonny

but...
    there are people DYING all over the world from terrible terrible inflictions and your prior concern is "whos your favourite band?"??!! who gives a sh#t? there will soon be world war frickin III and i wonder whether your sorry conscripted asses will be contemplating whether metallica sold out or what nada surf album to get when your hiding in the treches. good luck to us all. we're all screwed!
    i wonder what george bush's favourite band is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

jonny....this is a PHANTOM FM board to discuss these kind of topics, if u wanna start discussing world war 3 go right ahead but at least do it on the politics board where you might talk to someone who actually cares

i have the single for popular and i must say i thought the 2 b sides were crap......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

Originally posted by jonny
    but...
    there are people DYING all over the world from terrible terrible inflictions and your prior concern is "whos your favourite band?"??!! who gives a sh#t? there will soon be world war frickin III and i wonder whether your sorry conscripted asses will be contemplating whether metallica sold out or what nada surf album to get when your hiding in the treches. good luck to us all. we're all screwed!
    i wonder what george bush's favourite band is

Someone is trying to rack up posts by spamming...

And Dubya likes whatever his da tells him to like...

georges favourite band are the afghan wings i think!!!!!!!

but his favourite song is ................WAIT FOR IT.................. killing an arab

WAAAHHHHHHHH HHA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

most of you already know this but my favourite band is Metallica, yes ok i can hear u all scream 'why' well i've got 29(yes count that) albums from them thank god 4 Road Records who have loads of live metallica records. the only song i really hate that metallica have done is the new one with Ja Rule, James just sings the same line in the same tune all over and you cant really hear Kirk's riffs at all the otheer song that i'm not quite fond of is Trapped Under Ice off Ride The Lightning. But Metallica are really one of the best heavy metal bands from early on,you can't disagree with that. Reload wasn't what i expected it to be i thought it might have been something like Justice For All.

Originally posted by metalish
    i've got 29(yes count that) albums from them thank god 4 Road Records who have loads of live metallica records......... the song that i'm not quite fond of is Trapped Under Ice off Ride The Lightning..........Reload wasn't what i expected it to be i thought it might have been something like Justice For All.

point 1: i knew there were a lot of live bootlegs, but i didn't know there were nearly that many, even if that is on top of the legit albums. ROCK ON!
    point 2: i remember trapped under ice wass one of the first of the "thrash" songs i listened to and actually liked. escape...now there's a song to loathe... i mean it actually changes tempo (not musically) and starts to go out of tune....but anyway on to
    point 3: had reload been like ...justice that may actually (if possible) have been a step down. the justice album was the closest metallica have ever come to being prog rock. it was a close thing. dangerously close. think what a tragedy it would ahve been if they hadn't copped on when they did, one of the most talented bands in the world would have been lost into the obscurity of the prog metal world. this would be a tragedy for all involved, so lets leave it at that.

When i close my mind in fear, please pry it open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sadbuttrue

if u dont like metallica dont like rock music they rok too hard thats the end of that one there mighty men so fuk u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Elaine

Hey all. Just new to this forum.

In no particular order,

Metallica, Garbage, no doubt, muse, linkin park, u2 (earlier stuff)
    greenday....... i like loads of other stuff aswell.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

on the topic of one of the greatest heavy metal bands, Metallica, just wondering whats your favourite song from them? Mine would have to be 'seek and destroy','fadde to black' 'nothing else matters' plus alot of others:D

Advertisement