Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

64k isdn

Options
  • 21-09-2002 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

This may be a no brainer but I have to ask anyway...
    Is a single channel isdn connection (64k) faster than an analogue 56k connection in any meaningful way or is it just one seventh faster?In other words will I notice the increase in speed over my 56k connection, which has formed a habit of going asleep for about two minutes at a time regardless of isp?

I can feel myself growing old quicker than any broadband service is going to reach Lucan so in light of the new "flat rate" services on offer I'm considering my options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Its faster for downloads and for using the internet in general..
    also gives MUCH lower ping for gaming (Drops from 200 to 50)
    and it only takes 2 seconds to connect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Is a single channel isdn connection (64k) faster than an analogue 56k connection in any meaningful way or is it just one seventh faster

Faster in any meaningful way? Yeah, if by meaningful you mean it brings more meaning to existence. (Everyone wants faster internet!!) Faster is better. It's 40% percent faster (theorectically).

Modem : 56kbits/8 = 7kb/sec (actual) 4-5k/sec
    ISDN: 64kbits/8 = 8kb/sec (actual) ~7k/sec

I don't have ISDN but that's what I think people are saying and what I'd expect if I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Eight bits to a byte and all that... I wish they'd change one of the acronyms - so many people would call both their multiplied variants 'kb'... gets so confusing, so often.

Anyway - yes, combine UTV's (or to be nice, Esat's) deal with ISDN - and you should be pretty happy :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by CivilServant
    I don't have ISDN but that's what I think people are saying and what I'd expect if I got it.
    Originally posted by CivilServant
    In reality it really depends on how far you are away from your exchange. I have ISDN and use it 24/7 for work and play. I envy a lot of other ISDN users that say its really great. But to be totally honest I am dealing with people that send a 5mb file to me in seconds rather than minutes. I used to have a 56k modem and a 1mb file took almost 40 mins to download. It takes about 10 - 15 mins now but its still really slow. I find, in order to compete with other buisnesses SPEED is everything and ISDN just dont hack it any more. If things keep going they way they are now. I know I will have to lay off about 70 people just to be able to afford to keep going. If Insurance and telephone bills were not as high I could employ another 30 people but that wont happen im afraid. It's also MHO that since the € came into effect, we have all been robbed. People are just beginning to realise this now. But ISDN has been around for a while, people have still to discover that its ancient. If I were you I would wait.

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i wouldnt recomend it unless u play alot of online games that work best with a low ping
    it isnt worth it for a slightly increased download speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

I would recommend it if you can only get ISDN and not dsl or cable.
    In my experiance, i get connected first time, all the time in about 2 seconds. The connection never dies, and the pings are sweet for gaming, although they do go up when the server is full. And now with UtvIP, its even better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Now do I buy the modem or terminal adapter from eirc*nt or are there better or cheaper to be got elsewhere?

DO NOT get the terminal adapter from eircom its overpriced and crap i use this its cheap and works good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

just wondering if there is much difference between internal and external isdn modem, both in price and also with pings in games

some of the usb external ta's are ment to be very bad for ping
    internal is the best and they are cheaper

• Advertisement

sounds good

what do eircom install when they setup the isdn

is it just like a regular socket or what?

no its much bigger(x6 id say) than a normal phone socket it has 2 isdn ports and 2 analog ports and u have to plug it into a power socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

Hi All

I have isdn now for two years dont get it ,The eircom adaotor i took the webflyer a piece of sh*t never worked fully even after all the calls to them best one get the pci one from
    any computer shop or site dont hope for great speeds its ok when its dailing very fast but not much on any thing else ok downloads are faster than 56k but broadband is the one to wait for UTV now are on the market and i have sent my form away waiting to be on line this week with isdn 64 single line will let you know what its like on line now with UTV free service @128 it is very fast for web surfing and downloading but will remain @64 single line for UTV when i get on there service the costs are to much for dual lines Broadband is the way to go if where all still around for the unlease of it to open market not THE rip off it is now

Here is a pic of what they put on the wall and the isdn adaptar i have its a hayes had no trouble from it since changeing to windows xp eircom say there webflyer works with xp is sh*te
    never would the hayes one works fine

but i cannot wait for broadband

i am living in the middle of the countryside. I am lucky to be beside the exchange, but i cannot see eircom/esat/whoever upgrading to dsl for the sake of me. I seriously doubt that there would be anyone else around me who knows what isdn or dsl is bar whatever eircom tell them in their advertisements

i will get the isdn, which i will use for gaming in conjunction with either utvip or esat's offering. it also means that the brother can browse on another channel without affecting me(i know that this will cost more but it should prevent conlficts between us)

Its good that your near a exchange if isdn is your only hope get it but dont expect it to be as good on two pc one will 64 line and the other its up to your phone line, Had it running here in dublin on two pc got the full 64 on one but useing 56k its luck some times you get 48k not bad then some days 33k ok for surfing but nothing else its up to the exchange your near how ready it is , keep the 128 for only good downloads stuff that you want game demos its great for that, Hope i have given you some help with it, Heres the hayes adaptor i use its great and cheap and works fine with UTV free service internal one is better if you can get it dont buy from eircom they screw you for it and wont work on dual line they want you to take there supscription one not there free one
    only way around it is takeing UTV free service or taking there two lines 60e for it but i may go down that road have to wait and see how the 64 line works out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks for all the replies and discussion. I realise isdn is not a broadband solution (despite what the eirc*nts would lead us to believe) but it would be a step up from 56k. Will I need to inform my isp that I'm using isdn? Do I need two accounts to use 128k or how does that work? What are the chances of my phone line being able for it? How long does it take them between ordering it and installing it? Why don't Corkey and Tuxx use a flash when they take a photo? Who stole Corkey's full stop and comma keys?
    So many questions, so little bandwidth!!
    Cheers

Originally posted by milltown
    Will I need to inform my isp that I'm using isdn? Do I need two accounts to use 128k or how does that work?
    no you wont i use oceanfree they support 64 and 128k(and also give u low pings)
    eircom only suppot 64k unless u get a sub account from them
    i think esat are the same
    utv supports isdn but i can only get 64k to work with them i taought they used to support 128k :confused:

u should also look into utv and esat's new offers for preapaid net access it works out much cheaper
    What are the chances of my phone line being able for it? How long does it take them between ordering it and installing it?
    good most exchanges have been upgraded to isdn the limit for isdn is 5.5 km from the exchange few people would be further from it than that
    Why don't Corkey and Tuxx use a flash when they take a photo? Who stole Corkey's full stop and comma keys?
    i didnt post any pictures but the ones corkey took look like they were taken with a webcam which would explain the lack of flash
    and yes his posts are hard to read

UTV works fine on 128 free service must be the way you have it set up, And dont worry about the full stops &commas it was late at night and this is a board not school god help you when you need some help again milltown you may not get it and yes it was a webcam and late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

ISDN is great for gaming and if u want a small increase in dload speed.

If you use the internet enough you wont regret the cost, especially if, as you say, can't get broadband anytime soon.

Corkey: No this is not a school but if you write a 10line reply without a single comma/fullstop, it takes a lot of effort to read.
    Especially after a long day at school/uni.

• Advertisement
Advertisement