Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death

• 22-09-2002 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

As a follow in to the phobia thread,
    Do you fear death by said phobia....I personally have no phobias ,but would hate to die a slow painful death.....cancer for example....give me a smack of a bus anyday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Yeah, slow and painful definately isn't the way to make ur exit! I'm terrified of drowning or burning to death. I'd rather have my head chopped off! (yuk...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I wouldnt mind a slow death from something like cancer, youd be off your head on painkillers so it wouldnt really be all that bad :P

id hate to drown / burn to death though :r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by richindub2
    I wouldnt mind a slow death from something like cancer, youd be off your head on painkillers so it wouldnt really be all that bad :P

Have you seen anyone die slowly from cancer ? It really *is* that bad.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by richindub2

I watched my Grandad as he died slowly from cancer, and I hope that by the time you choose to die from it, they have made some drugs that can keep you lucid while also keeping you "off your head". There is nothing worse than watching somebody as smart as my grandfather was reduced to a babbling mess by the pain and the drugs they pumped him with.
    Have you seen anyone die slowly from cancer ? It really *is* that bad.

Yes, yes it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

what i meant was that im sure dying from cancer while on morphine etc would be better than burning to death, not that it isnt a bad thing in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Nah the drugs for treating cancer really fsck you up but they leave you more than lucid enough to realise that your life is really really ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If I knew I was terminally ill. I'd end it myself. Couldn't drag it out like that - and wouldn't let it.

I think having my brain melt away over time would prompt me to end life sooner, but if physically I went downhill but still kept my mental state I wouldn't mind.

I think Yeats said something like that in one of his poems about the body getting old but the mind still staying fresh. Oh Christ, I started talking about Yeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Again, I'd like to go out quick or in my sleep, with no worries of leaving a family in debt or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Burning to death - fscking EEK. I've also always had a thing about dying through not being able to breathe - choking, drowning, smothering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Dying from cancer or other illness, not fun, even with the drugs..
    wouldnt like to burn and have awful fear of drowning , wont even put my head under water when swimming..

I wanna go out in a blaze o glory saving the world Buffy stylee! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Drowning is one of the best ways to go. If you don't panic it's painless... You slowly relax and go to sleep in the water as you run out of oxygen...

Personally i don't want to die but i'm just gonna accept that i will and not worry about it...

Originally posted by lordsippa
    Drowning is one of the best ways to go. If you don't panic it's painless... You slowly relax and go to sleep in the water as you run out of oxygen...

I thought that was a myth and when u drown you get really bad cramps due to a build up of lactic acid. I heard other reports that the blood vessels in the lungs burst as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As for getting your head chopped off - your brain lives on for a minute or two after decapitation. This was discovered when in France a lady was guillotined and one of her enemies took her bodiless head and slapped her in the face. She blushed on both cheeks and henceforth tests were applied on heads and the guillotine was seen as an inhumane way to kill someone.

I'd rather die of some happy drug I guess and my most hated form would be by crucifixion. Crucifixion is very likely of course but I'll just have to calm down about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cancer is a fukn affliction, you would certainly not want to die of any form of cancer. Tis a long strenuous disease and if you're lucky you may escape the ol chemo.

I dont mind death so much as long as i reach 60, dont burn in hell and die with all my external organs still attached to my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Drowning- hmmm, almost done it twice, it isn't all that pretty.
    Cancer - hmm.....if it was terminal, i'd kill myself rather than fade away, after all, it's better to end it fairly quickly than slowly while dribbling / babbling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

a bullet to the head without prior warning would bemy choice

and my epitaph would read something along the lines of
    Died while courageously saving 200 people from a sinking ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id like to be dead 5 minutes before i realise im not alive anymore

but more so, im afraid of losing an arm or a leg in an accident than i am of dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

well by far the worst form of death is the chinese water torture..
    there pour a drop of water in the center of ur forhead until u go mad and finally die of madness it can take anything up to a year to kill u...
    think of that as towards burnin or dien of slow cancer:/

cart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I think I'd like to get enough notice to plan my 'going away' event. I really wanna burn the CD that should be played as I slide into the flames....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Cartman
    well by far the worst form of death is the chinese water torture..
    there pour a drop of water in the center of ur forhead until u go mad and finally die of madness it can take anything up to a year to kill u...
    think of that as towards burnin or dien of slow cancer:/

cart

Do they keep dropping water onto your head or something?
    Because it would just be absorbed by the skin or evaporate. Why would you go mad?

"May you be in heaven half an hour before the Divil knows you're dead"

I though it was when you're bent over with your legs in the air and they nick the back of your neck, just a scratch like, but enough to draw blood.
    They then have a hidden water tap or something making a slow dripping noise, so you think you're bleeding to death and you'll talk or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

If i was die-ing from termenal illness i probably wouldnt have the guts to end it my self.

Id try but i wouldnt go through with it. I would probably be in denial. I would go mad thinking about the fact that i was going to die. Being hit by a bus is probably the best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the constant dripped of water on one part of my forehead would certainly piss me off :) imagine a year of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think the chinese water torture is a continuous drip of water to the forehead, in other words, think of an annoying drippy kitchen tap, and then put that drip on your head, and leave you there fr a oong time.
    it would drive me nuts.
    although im at a loss in how you woud die from madness.
    i thought that was a psychological affliction, rather than a physical one.
    maybe id die from being too pedantic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i think the chinese water torture is a continuous drip of water to the forehead, in other words, think of an annoying drippy kitchen tap, and then put that drip on your head, and leave you there fr a oong time.
    it would drive me nuts.

Thats the one. Your head is kept completly still and your left there in a totally dark, sound proofed room for a few months. Apparently a lot of people that went through it ended up with visible dents in their forheads from the constant drips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I think I must have nine lives. I had a fire in my house so I was lucky to get out alive. I nearly drowned to death, its not that scary more weird like and I think if you died that way, its not the worse way to go. I was also physically attacked by an ex boyfriend who tried to strangle me, that is scary and lastly when giving birth, I went into shock and lost a lot of blood. For me a slow drawn out death to me is horrible.

Re: The chinese torture, yes it is where your head is fixed and the water continously drips on your forehead and after a year of that if your not mad, you will have a dent in your forehead from the erosion caused by the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Actually, or atleast from what i can gather, the drip and constant pressure on your forehead starts to wear away the skin etc eventually colapsing your head, hence being incredibly painful and it can last for several days, until you die in complete agony,
    the other form of far eastern tortue is grow bamboo shoots through people, it onlt take a few days as bamboo can grow really fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Think of it.....If your lying there for a year letting drops of water fall on your head your going to be dead a long time before this from (a) you'd die of starvation or (b) Boredom.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I think I'm one of the few people who, when the time comes, would prefer to die slowly, knowing that its coming. I'd like to be able to say my goodbyes to the people who matter to me, and to cherish the rest of my time in this life with them, even if I had to endure a very painful illness. But that's just me.

}:>

Advertisement