Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standalone AP

Options
  • 22-09-2002 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Myself and a colleague are trying to setup a link between our two houses but unfortunately we don't have line of sight to the two houses. I'm at the foot of the mountains and he's in Clondalkin.

1km up the road is a few hundred metres higher and what we though of doing is putting a self contained AP on some farmers field (With their permission of course) and using that to0 connect to each other. The site that we have found has complete unobstructed views of the whole city.

Has anyone got any experience of a self contained unit suitable to plonk in a field ? Is a car battery powerful enough to run everything and is a solar panel enough to charge it ?

If we got the thing up and running I'm sure that a lot of you would be able to see/connect to it and it could be a great benefit as a bridge !

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Hi,
    Are there any plugs nearby that you could plug it into? I've an access point in the middle of a field but we ran a 300M cable in pipe to the nearby house. IMHO, its good in the long term, e.g. if I need to add more equipment that would use more power it's just a matter of plugging it in.

Brendan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I know a company that has been trying to build a solar powered AP, you could talk to them and see what they have. They have set up numerous links spanning a couple of miles in some cases. The sell a SmartBridge Outdoor AP which may do the job

www.omniserv-inc.com

01-8221471

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭jiffy

There is a possibility of mains power as one of the options is to put the unit ontop of a barn (which I assume has mains power?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭jiffy

I spoke to Omniserv and they were very helpful and confirmed that they are working on a solar version of an AP. Hopefully there should be some news in the next week or so. If I hear anything I'll post it here.

Advertisement