Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop only bbots in Dos mode now :((

Options
  • 22-09-2002 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Ever since I rebooted my laptop in Dos mode from 98. It keeps starting up in dos mode now.

If I type exit I get the following

It just restarts the laptop :(

this is a copy of the autoexec.bat

@echo off
    set tmp=c:\windows\temp
    set temp=c:\windows\temp
    set prompt=$p$g
    set winbootdirc:\windows
    set path=c:\windows;c:\windows;c:\windows\command.com;c:\thinkpad;c:\mww\dll
    set mwpath=c:\mww\dll;c:\mww\dsp
    set libpath=c:\mww\dll
    set mwroot=c:\mww
    set incoluclanc:\progta~1\comput~1\inocul~1
    set blaster=a220 I5 D1 T4
    REM
    REm the following lines have been created by windows. DO not modify them.
    rem
    c:
    cd c:\windows
    call c:\windows\command,com
    c:\windows\win.com /wx

Config.sys

dos=single
    dos=high,umb
    device=c:\windows\himen.sys
    device=c:\windows\cwdinit.exe /a

=====
    The laptop will boot in safe mode ok.

If I REM the last lines in the autoexec.bat I get the following

You are currently running in MS-Dos mode do you want to return to normal mode, to run windows applications again [enter=y] esc=n] if i press y or enter the laptop reboot and continues this cycle.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I hope you can fix your MS Apps / OS problems , however its doubtful since you cannot even read simple instructions about posting things into the HW Tweaking forum. Moving thread (next time I'll just delete )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Bleh, you don't even need autoexec.bat or config.sys for Win98... just REM out everything or leave them blank for troubleshooting purposes. (try c:\windows\command\edit.com for a dos text editor)
    If it still refuses to boot into windows, try scanreg /restore at the prompt and pick a recent registry backup to restore.
    It could also be someone playing a cruel joke on you by placing a maximized DOS window in your startup folder :)(try an ALT+ENTER, just incase)

If you need more precise instructions on the DOS commands, post an update.
    gl

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I'll have a look at a win98 machine at home and get back to you. For the moment you should be able to type win.com at the command prompt to let you into windows.
    I've seen this happen to other people, I just need to simulate the problem on my laptop at home, I'll let you know exact instructions for a fix.

Advertisement