Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java enabled handsets

Options
  • 22-09-2002 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Right, this would probably attract more attention on the programming board with it's J2ME relevance, but since I'm talking about the actual handsets as opposed how to write software for them, I thought here would do. Feel free to move :)

Moving on swiftly,
    there has been a plethora of new Java enabled devices on the market over the last couple of months. Most of them being at the more expensive end of the handset range, but with a few exceptions. Of course all of us (well I anyway) want a shiny new Nokia 7650, but at the same time there seems to be some Java enabled handsets available within a students budget. The ones I'd be reffering to would be the Nokia 6310i, 3410, and the Siemens M50.

Now being an avid fan of Nokia (on my 3rd handset), especially the Nokia software, I will not ignore the 3410. But the Siemens M50 has caught my eye also.

What I want to know, for those of you that has any of these devices (especially the M50), is, can we as developers write our own 3rd party software for them and upload using a data cable. The reason I ask is that most of the cheaper handsets say they are Java enabled and that you can connect to a server and download new software for your handset (depending on storage capacity). But the footprint for some of these J2ME based games is minimal (a couple of KB max). But for the Nokia 7650 it specifically says you can deploy third party software to the device. Does this mean that you can't for the cheaper ones?

At the moment I'm not ready to buy a new handset, but I'm considering my options. I don't have a lot to spend (or more specifically I don't want to spend a lot), so that will come in to it. I'm not crazy about colour screens. They are nice and all, but not worth it for such small sizes (XDA, and 7650 being exceptions).

feedback appreciated, advTHANKSance ;)

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

for nokia if you register with Forum Nokia you can get access to development tool, docs and knowledge base

for siemens you can register with their Developers Village for information and tools

for the M50 the consumer released handset can only have J2ME apps installed Over The Air. but siemens do have a developer "early bird" offer including the M50 unit, development tools and data cable which allows installation of J2ME apps directly via cable (details in the Developer Village)

the Nokia 7650 is the most flexible i've seen yet, been able to install J2ME apps via WAP, IrDA and Bluetooth (sent directly and via the 7650 PC application's installer) and by email attachment.

HTH,
    Brian G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by DubWireless
    the Nokia 7650 is the most flexible i've seen yet, been able to install J2ME apps via WAP, IrDA and Bluetooth (sent directly and via the 7650 PC application's installer) and by email attachment.
    Oh why must the good things in life cost so much :p

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Oh why must the good things in life cost so much

;-phobos-)
    true true,
    7650 is lovely alright , i've loads of 3rd party stuff installed on my handset now(games,all appz mention'd by dubwireless in other thread, irc, msn/yahoo/aol messenger, etc..), symbian and J2ME, fone seems tempermental sometimes tho, giving no signal when it should be full if gprs set to when available and such.........anyone know if its possible to upgrade the firmware OTA or using IR or anything or will one still have to return the handset to nokia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it needs to go back to a service center to be upgraded - it's a whole new piece of kit so only one service center here that I've been directed to so far:

Communicaid, Southern Cross Business Park, Boghall Rd, Bray, Co. Wicklow. Tel 01 204 0452

i'm on 3.12 launch version

last time i checked (about 3 weeks ago) latest was 3.16, but there is supposed to be a major update out shortly, so I'm just going to hang on for that

HTH,
    Brian G

Advertisement