Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i dont want to deal with the guy...

Options
  • 23-09-2002 4:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Okso, last night was homecoming dance at my school. I got there and was having a decent time, just dancing with some friends. But then i started relly missing ctyi discos and how you could meet someone without it really being a big deal if you didnt WNT it to be a big deal. So this guy i know grabbed me and started dancing with me during a slow song. And i say i know him, beacuse we went to the same elementary school , but he was never in my class or anything because he was a year older. plus, he was in my math class last year. And he's always been friendly and flirty and all, but i didnt think he would ever be very forward about anything because hes kind of shy and nerdy. nice kid though, right. and we dont have any classes together this year so i havent seen him much. but anyways he started dancing with me, and then i ended up meeting him, but afterwards i decided it wasnt worth it because i dont see him, and hes not really that interesting... and he has a beard which is scratchy, and he wasnt even a very good meet. but hes just so nice, and hes a friend of mine, so i dont want to hurt his feelings. but after i met him him, he was holding my hand and stuff and i just wanted to go dance with my friends and forget about it. and he kept saying, oh, i really like you, and all this. so...arg! i want to tell him that i dont want to go out with him or anything. but how? any suggestions? i mean, i know i have to talk to him. but what should i say? i want to be straight up with him, but how do you say politely that, " you werent that great of a kisser and i dont find it worth my time to be with you?"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

just tell him the truth. or a carefully worded version therein. I mean, he'll figure out eventually u don't like him, so better sooner than later. not that i know the answers to everything. hah. that i don't.
    ah, i know what u mean about missing that aspect of the ctyi discos. its never the same- they always expect you to be in love with them or something after you meet, whereas at ctyi, half the time you'd never talk to the person again. i'm not sure why it happens like it does at ctyi- yet another thing we have to credit them with. (but somehow, i don't think they would put that in the brochure...summer courses...and free love? hmm..don't think so.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Honesty is the best policy. Wait, that's a load of crap. Honesty is overrated. Seriously, though, just explain that you just got swept up in the moment but that you're not looking for anything more, and that although you're flattered and all, you're still not interested.

Failing that, tell him you're a lesbian.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Okay... given I was rejected today (see the Bob likes girl thread) I can tell you this much... don't make up some bull**** excuse. For example "I'm a lesbian" even though he knows you're straight doesn't work. Ah well, one of lifes lessons... just tell him outright that you don't want to be with him now. Don't lie or make excuses, you do not need to explain yourself to him, simply "I don't wanna be with you" and if he doesn't accept that then it's his problem.

Edit: that was mean claire! Funny, but mean! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hmmm..... lessee

"welcome to dumpsville: population, you."

"My face was eaten by crocodiles"

"frankly, i'm not into beastiality, sorry"

"as soon as you discover which way is anyhwere but near me, gmme a call"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

yep, you're just gonna havta say it straight out: "i don't want to be with you.". sucks don't it? but it bes the only feasible way of dealing with it. or you could say something along the lines of "i'm not comfortable with having a relationship right now." that tends to work. christ i'm in pain...sorry, em...yeah, whatever everyone else said. it's all good.
    sHep :cool:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    Edit: that was mean claire! Funny, but mean! :p;)

Hee hee. Bad me. I'm sorry. *bear hug*

Neil - you just keep on proving your evilness, don't you? ;)

Lol, Claire, i had to prove myself more evil than you.

Now to be serious, the easiest way is to say something along the lines of how you we were feeling sad and vunerable that night and how you didnt want to ruin your friendship, but you felt that you werent ready to commit right now, but can you still be friends. there, that better Claire?

Yes, I approve, Neil. ;)

Be careful about using phrases like 'not ready right now', though.... if you honestly don't see yourself being 'ready' in the future, then don't say it to soften the blow, because you might end up leading him on, which could lead to badness....

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

the nicest possible way to do that is say: sorry, (look him up and down and bite you lip) and say you're lovely and everything but i like someone else.

i know you shouldn't lie, but you're not saying you're gay, and hey maybe you do like someone else. plus it's less hurtful for him. somehow. (ok, it's easier to say)

oh, and when i go out no-one expects you to be in love with them. maybe its just a wherever-ye-all-live thing. cavan/longford rocks for free meaningless love. ohhh...yes

I'm wondering how long before someone gets amazed at my sensitive and kind side.....hmmm...

For thr record i am sensitive and kinda and am only an asshole a)when the person deserves it or b) for humour, as above

• Advertisement

Ah I know you're a sweetheart dude... we all know that.

Yeah, we do. You're all sensitive and strokable. It's all good. :)

(For the record I'm being serious here.... not sarcastic... it's an unfamiliar but not entirely unpleasant sensation.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

ARGH! I hate doing that. Do it as soon as possible. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

i really like the biting your lip and saying youre into someone alse thing, i could use it some other time. i think that if i liked someone else i wouldnt have met him. my firends at school told me to tell him that i was a lesbian. he would see right through that. actually, my friends and i used to do that in elementary school. there was this guy that would follow us around all of the time and we would just hold hands and tell him we were lesbians. he never really got the idea that we wanted him to go away. so we just avoided him and took orchestra class beacuse he was in band.

Ah, the wonderful art of avoidance ... teeheeehee. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

<looks around nervously for Bob>

Tell him your gay *wink*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What's all this about CTYI discos being the only places to get a meaningless meet. I've known people to meet40/50 girls a night(See Bob likes Girl thread for reference to self-same guy) and keep in contact, but only as friends.

Then again I know guys who meet their friends on a regular basis, so that theory doesn't work. Meaningless meets are far easier to come by, in my opinion, than a meet that actually means something. That's rare. Think of it as service. It doesn't seem half as harsh if you do.

Yeah... see, meaningless meets often happen in discos where you don't see the people again and if you do it's not regularly. The difference with school dances and CTYI discos is you are almost guaranteed to see the people the next day and what sets the CTYI discos away from the rest of that kind of disco is the fact that the meets can be meaningless in a place where the people see each other every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭joe the coat

I've been thinking... CTYI seems to exist in a separate little universe where morals are... not quite suspended but loosened... Its very nice :D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭alaskagirl

i miss the loosened morals!!! three weeks a year is not enough!1 or maybe its so that i will appreciate those three weeks... i bet thats it. i mean, if it was like that all year, what would be special about the loose morals at ctyi? hmmmmmm.....

• Advertisement

it's an alternate universe, really.
    i think that's what makes it so amazing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Moni

It is an alternate universe.

But if it were all year, it would be THE universe. and it would become routine. and that would suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

Throw the guy on the scrapheap. Move onto new and better things...come on a beard what more do i have to say?

i really like the biting your lip and saying youre into someone alse thing, i could use it some other time.

i've used that three times and my best friends' used it five. works a charm. thought of it ourselves.

meaningless meets? come to longford, people just ask you in the street and you never have to see them again if you don't want to.

don't ever say you're gay (unless of course you are) that's cruel, unfair and bitchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

And "using" methods of dumping people isn't?

it's a lot nicer than saying. 'no i won't meet you because i don't like you/like your best friend/am afraid of the smell', which although would be truthful, would make you a heinous bitch.

i agree- how is trying not to hurt pple bitchy?

maybe it is on some alternate universe we don't know about. who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Happy CTYI guy

as i said earlier, SCRAPHEAP, the old heave-ho, uhhhhh all round dumping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I don't mind being used, seriously! I never could figure out what the hell is the problem with being used! I guess I'm one of those people. Feel free to use or abuse me whenever suits you! I've never been in a relationship that lasted more than a night so maybe that's it but come on! Everyone enjoys sex or sex-related entertainment so what's the problem with being used?! Sure you're just another meaningless statistic but at least you got your jollies too!!! For advice, don't come to me. I haven't got the balls to dump someone to their face. I'm more the subtle type who would say for instance, meet their friend in front of them and have them dump me! It saves me the hastle of working up the courage! Probably not some thing you should try though. It's more of a guy thing as far as I know. Try a subtle approach though, it works!

Advertisement