Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephony Charges UTV/Esat/Eircom

Options
  • 23-09-2002 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

There have been a lot of figures about telephony charges bandied around on the UTVInternet thread. The 25% reduction from UTVInternet seems attractive but a number of people have suggested that Esat are in fact cheaper on voice calls.

Would someone like to post an overall summary of the comparisons between UTV, East and Eircom.

Also would appreciate anyone's experiences of UTVInternet telephony.

Martin Harran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Forgot to add into this www.smarttelecom.ie.

Anyone any experience of them ?

Martin

NOTE TO MODERATORS
    As noted in my thread on Satellite, I am using this forum at the moment to get some specific help on my business solutions; I am concerned about drifting off topic for this forum and won't be offended if you feel in appropriate to move some of this stuff :)

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

can't add any specifics but at the moment doing some consultancy on leased line install for a sme ( can't wait for DSL to roll out in donegal town) back to my experience i quite often get flurries of calls on occasion trying to sell me some sort of phone service or other. Most of these companies bulk buy international calls and the compress the s**t out of the call and quite often you will get drop out echoes etc. It's very hard to know how to judge any of these companies. Call cost does not account for all of it qality of service is useful as well. the other problem is when you sign up if you are not happy and revert to eircon then you lose all the "discounts" eircom put on your line. i know companies whose call cost have doubled on returning to eircon.
    don't know if this is any help but SME's over here tend to stick with eircon esp. as there is this bouncing of faults between the suppliers. i have not found any that are prepared to take the problem and deal with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

www.smarttelecom.ie hmmm look at their priceing page they use eircoms min call charge to make it look like they are cheaper for local calls :mad: that and the fact iv never heard of them makes them well dodgy where did u find them?

i think esat are cheaper than utv for national calls and mobiles(someone corect me if im wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You are correct Tuxx, Esat are currently cheaper than utv for their national and mobile calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Try BudgetTelecom at www.budgettelecom.ie for international calls.

Their web site may look a little dated, but the service is excellent -- never had a dropped call, and the voice quality has always been perfect. To sign up, dial 13121, and once you have done this you just dial 13121 before every international call you make. Some example rates are 11 ¢ to the US, 9¢ to the UK, 13 ¢ to Hong Kong (not that everyone would want to call a number there!). They don't charge extra for peak hour calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hi Ronan|Raven - Can you give us a bit more detail on where UTV are dearer than Esat.

The UTV website gives the following cost comparision

Standard Rate inc VAT Eircom Esat BT UTV Internet
    Dublin - Dublin (Evening ) 1.26c 1.27c 0.95c
    Dublin to Cork (Weekend) 1.26c 1.26c 0.95c
    RoI to USA (Daytime) 19.05c 18.31c 14.29c

Are you telling us that these details are wrong?

Originally posted by tuxx
    ... where did u find them?
    Door-to door salesman came knocking on my door last week (at home - not work !)

He started his sales pitch and I interrupted him to ask how they compared with UTV. He said "oh, they only do internet".

I told him he was wrong, they were also offering 25% off Eircom call rates - he went "Oh..., well, maybe you'll look at our brochure anyway" and buggered off :)

This did not impress me at all but I got around to looking at their prices yesterday and they do look good.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

Does anybody kno what Cinergi is like? They have two websites: http://cinergitelecom.com and http://www.call-savers.com There rates seem to be good but has anyone tried their service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Originally posted by RainyDay
    Hi Ronan|Raven - Can you give us a bit more detail on where UTV are dearer than Esat.

Esat BT are cheaper for national calls during peak periods.

Standard Rate inc VAT Eircom EsatBT UTV Internet
    Dublin to Cork (Peak) 9.37c 3.81c 7.03c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Thx Patrick :) Saved me the bother.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by patrickmooney

Esat BT are cheaper for national calls during peak periods.

Standard Rate inc VAT Eircom EsatBT UTV Internet
    Dublin to Cork (Off Peak) 9.37c 3.81c 7.03c
    no thats wrong isnt it? off peak access isnt that expensive
    ill try to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

no thats wrong isnt it? off peak access isnt that expensive

Aye, they're the peak prices.

ok try to find something wrong with this and let me know
    http://www.boards.ie//members/tuxx/eir_esat_utv.zip
    its a excel file in a zip(sorry to anyone who dosnt have excel :( )
    it gets a bit complex dosnt it :(

Thx Tuxx

That's just what I wanted.

It confirms what I found when I last looked at this - Esat effectively have a single local/national rate which is much cheaper than Eircom for national but much dearer for local.

As the bulk of my home calls are local, it would have cost more with Esat.

Will have to take recent bills from my business, which will have much higher percemtage of national calls, and do comparison.

UTV certainly beats Eircom - UTV are cheaper on both National and Local, identical on mobile.

Martin

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    Thx Tuxx

That's just what I wanted.

It confirms what I found when I last looked at this - Esat effectively have a single local/national rate which is much cheaper than Eircom for national but much dearer for local.

np :)
    i think u ment to say utv where u said eircom?

np :)
    i think u ment to say utv where u said eircom?

Corrected :)

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by kevinmcc
    Does anybody kno what Cinergi is like?

I used their service from Dec last until UTV came along.
    Their peak local calls are 10% cheaper than eircom, mobile rates marginally cheaper. Their customer service is excellent though.

Good link of call comparisons from call-savers.com on rates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

What about NTL Telephony charges? I did a comparison and from what I can see they are cheaper than both Eircom and UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ntl and Chorus also offer CPS

ntl's rates are impressive ( just revised ) - in particular for UK , USA and local/national/mobile stuff

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/teletarifs%20euro.html

Nothing on the Chorus site that I can see?

http://www.chorus.ie

Cinergi are a switchless reseller - involved with Hibercall in some way - they resell for Worldcom and EsatBT me thinks... They are also a multi-level marketing crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by RainyDay

When you add the call set up charge into Esat & UTVs call charges and factor in Eircoms discount plans. Eircom is not too bad.

ESAT & UTV need to factor in the set up charge into their call rates.

By not doing so - it is very difficult for people to make comparisons

• Advertisement

Yes Cork but Eircom have a minimum call charge which is almost twice the call set up charge - for short calls eircom are far more expensive than UTV/ntl/EsatBT.....

It's swings and roundabouts really on average on that one - also the call set up harge is not applied to all calls and all times....eircoms minimum call charge applies to all calls...

Hey there,
    Isn't 13513 the carrier pre-select for UTVi. Thus all calls made with this prefix will be billed through UTVi? For some reason I'm able to route all my calls through it even though I'm not on UTVip CPS. The only CPS I have is for 13321 (ie Esat BT | IOL Nolimits). Is this only happening to me or can everyone route their calls through 13513, and if that is the case....whos billing for these calls?

Strange - unless UTVi ( well the guys who are supplying them with voice ) have activated your CLI on their switch - unlikely unless you have signed up otherwise anyone could dial the prefix from home and call anywhere for free!

Tis Mad! Was just onto UTVip there and they have comfirmed when I dial 13513 I'm trafficing on their network! Now I'm defo still with Eircom...so that means free call for me!!!!

13513 - I know who that is - if that's the case Scott better have a quick word with his Telco provider before someone makes real use of the facility! Seriously not fair the that provider......

Patrickmooney - I believe they may have provisioned you for CPS at the Eircom exchange and on the *carrier* switch - as opposed to using Carrier access code CPS...which means you will be billed ( dont go mad rining those 1550 numbers!!)

Yep thats right.....but as is the case with all carrier numbers, all 13xxx numbers are switched from eircom into another network. Eircom have confirmed that they don't charge for these calls. Perhaps it's the case when I dial 13513 it's looping back to eircom, I'll know for certain in 9days when my next bill is processed. As stated briefly before I am set up to switch to EsatBT on 13321.

I'm not one to abuse, but it's interesting that it's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Could anyone tell me if NTL have a minimum charge like Eircom (absorbed into the price) or do they have call setup fee like UTVIP (added to the price)?

Also, do Cinergi have a minimum charge or a setup fee?

Setup fees make switching from Eircom to elsewhere unatractive for calls imo...

Advertisement