Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Questions

• 23-09-2002 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with an PIII 866 CPU. I have been trying to upgrade to a P4, however I can't find a CPU online (my CPU is a Socket 370). Does this mean I can't upgrade the CPU.

If I'm stuck with the 866, is it worth upgrading the video card from a GeForce 2 Ultra to a GeForce 4? (I have 384MB RAM, Windows ME).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You will need a new motherboard and ram for a P4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Brendor

You will not be able to put a P4 cpu into your computer at all Im afraid. The first reason, as mentioned here, is because you will need a new motherboard and some new ram. Unfortunately I have seen that some dell cases will not take new motherboards, due to their propietry design. Im not too sure about the newer cases dell have, but I know the older white ones were a pain for installing new motherboards. Id imagine if you did a google websearch, you could find information on modifying your case, but this wouldnt be for the faint hearted. You would have to know what your doing.

Anyway I hope that helps.

Thanks

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Whatever you do get rid of Windows ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Thanks for the advice. I can't afford to buy a new rig at the moment so I'm trying to squeeze another year out of my current one. Is there any point in getting a GeForce 4 card? Is it a waste with my current CPU?

What's the problem with Windows ME?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

How about flogging your current rig and putting the proceeds + your Geforce4 money into a new rig? Keep your monitor.

You can get decent pc kits from komplett.ie starting at around 800 squid with GF4. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brendor

Great idea, G! I'll check it out

Advertisement