Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Starcraft 2 in the near future...enter Starcraft Ghost (console only) ;(

Options
  • 23-09-2002 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Today at the Tokyo Game Show Blizzard Entertainment announced its newest product under development, StarCraft: Ghost. In this 3D tactical-action console game set in the legendary StarCraft universe, players will take the role of Nova, a lethal Ghost operative trained in the arts of espionage and tactical combat.

I presume there are plenty of people out there that are as disappointed as I am to hear this. Surely Blizzard are big enough to start two games at once? I want StarCraft 2!!

I realise console games sell significantly more copies than pc games….is it only about $$$ to blizzard now?............ As silly as it may sound, I feel betrayed. They could easily bring Ghost out on the PC as well…is it laziness?

It looks like we wont see Starcraft 2 for at least 4 years…omg I’ll be 25 :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

In a press report by blizzard i read somewhere along the line, it stated that they were just returning to what they started at, that being console gaming.

Theres been uproar over this whole thing on the net, quite funny as it is. They don't "owe" anyone anything. As is, starcraft probably still outsells most pc games. Why would you want to make a sequel to a game that still sells in the top 5 in korea.

I'll give ghost a whack, its definetly coming to a machine where games like that are more appreciated. A port to the pc probably wouldn't sell as much as consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

If it's all about the $$$ then blizzard would make starcraft2 and starcraft:ghost for the pc so all the huge starcraft following will snatch it up. You feel betrayed? Why? Cause it's not a PC game? Big deal. I want quality games, the platform does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'd prefer to not have to buy every single console to play all the good games

PS2
    XBOX
    CUBE

No Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

So... Starcraft: Ghost will be out for the x-box. Didn't Microsoft buy blizzard recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I'd prefer to not have to buy every single console to play all the good games

Oh come on so its not on PC, big deal. The consoles are fairly cheap now anyway and it is Blizzards decision in the end where they want their games going.

Btw to Regi, MS bought Rare, not Blizzard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Taken from sclegacy:
    GameSpy has a new exclusive interview with Blizzard VP Bill Roper about Starcraft: Ghost. The interview is interesting and covers a lot regarding Blizzard trying to break into the console industry. One particular question will catch your attention, and that is regarding Starcraft II:
    GS: One the GameSpy message boards, as well as the Blizzard message boards, you’ve been getting strong reactions from PC gamers about Ghost. Many are screaming things like, "Why are you abandoning us?!?" What’s your response to this? Is there anything you want to say to PC gamers to try and assuage them?

BR: We’ve definitely seen a lot of comments from PC gamers concerned that we’re abandoning PC gaming. I think that the important thing to remember is that even though we are a relatively small company, we do have enough teams to work on more than one product at a time. We were working on World of Warcraft at the same time we were working on Warcraft III. One of the reasons we wanted to do a joint development with Nihilistic is that we didn’t have enough people on our own to do a big console game. I guess the important thing to remember is that one project doesn’t necessarily impact another.

So the work on StarCraft: Ghost doesn’t impact the World of Warcraft team. It doesn’t impact what the Warcraft III team is doing next. It doesn’t preclude us from doing anything else in the StarCraft universe. We certainly don’t see StarCraft: Ghost as being something that replaced StarCraft II. It’s just as likely that StarCraft II will be released at the same time as Ghost. We had two Warcraft teams working at the same time. I think it’s a difficult thing to look at. We even see big assumptions based on our web site. We’ll pull something off and people will go, "Oh my God, they pulled material from the web site. Now the game is being delayed!"

"It's just as likely that Starcraft II will be released at the same time as Ghost." Perhaps Roper is only using SC2 as an example, but this certainly shows us that Starcraft: Ghost is NOT a replacement for Starcraft II, and will not affect Starcraft II's development, since different people would be working on Ghost anyways. Finally some good news for the Starcraft community. Thanks to Amiliarch for the tip.

Draw your own conclusions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Draw your own conclusions
    Done

Advertisement