Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mouse for gaming

• 23-09-2002 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

My crappy HP mouse is soon to be retired. Any suggestions on a good mouse for gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

animatedmouse.gif

mmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

intelli optical explorer 3.0 or the logitech double optical mouseman, and the new logitech mouse which are just out mx300, mx500, mx700. im planning on getting mx500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

is the boomslang gonna ever be in optical instead of ball?

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

A mouse with a ball? They still make those?

Mine's a Logitech Dual Optical USB. Works great. No cleaning. No clogged up rollers causing uneven movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

another word up for logitech dual optical, works great, had it for a few months and i'm really impressed. it's not as bulky as intellimouse, fits nicely in your palm, and doesn't have like 100 buttons like the rest of them. dunno why anybody would want that anyway, but that's another story :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

im running the lowlevel ms optical mouse - only 2 buttons + wheel/button - nice mouse - i find it very accurate for games

i use it on a ratzpad which makes a hellva difference imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

After years of using the plain old ps2 rollerball with wheel I think I shall finally go for an optical. Although I love this mouse for games and find a lot of the others too bulky/too many buttons etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Picked up an explorer optical intellimouse for 40 dollars over in the US awhile back. Best mouse ive ever used. Bout as bulky as your usual ball mouse and only has 2 extra buttons not 50. Been very smooth in games so far, none of that Cack with cleaning rollers and getting pisd off an slamming the mouse on the table when it doesnt move, or is that just me?. Definately a good candidate for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Logitech Dual Optical USB. Twice the resolution of all the rest. Better than a Boomslang or any of the MS opticals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've got a Logictech Dualie too, have to say it's one of the best mice I've ever used.
    The precision is a bit off because of the surface I'm using, an artificial wood grain which is slightly glossy.

I was thinking of getting a denim-covered mouse pad. Shoudl give an irregualr-enough patterned surface to read.

I'm using the PS/2 converter and have not got the software isntalled.
    Anyone reccomend anything to improve the accuracy?

*(by accuracy i mean the mouse will some times skip slightly or even hover abck and forth, depending on where it's at on the sirface)

• Advertisement

I found that it didn't work well on anything remotely glossy. So I'm using a standard cloth covered mouse mat. Also the supplied drivers are not meant to be great. I never installed them. I use the MS intellipoint drivers (installed while I had a MS mouse connected) and I use a free wheel mouse utility (freewheel) for those apps that don't support the mouse wheel natively. Also if you can at all use the usb connection. The ps/2 connection doesn't refresh as fast as usb so your losing some of the accuracy there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Originally posted by Sico
    animatedmouse.gif

mmmmm

AGREED!

Been using one of them babies for ages.....

What can I say, I must buy some more, just in case..........

Forget optical, I have tried a lot of them, I have about 3 of the best from Logitech and Microsoft here on the slave systems :D

I had a boomslang 2000 for ages, and while it is accurate I found that the rollers got dirty very quicky, and were hard to clean. Also the shape is terrible. Very poor ergonomically. Most of the poeple I know that have one, hate the shape and have gone back to other mice. I reckon the dual optical logitech is better in every department. Before anyone says you get used to the shape, well I had mine over a year and never got used to it. Whereas I was used to the dual optical in about a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

ya should look into getting a new decent mat, like spend around 30-40 on it. makes a big difference. i likes the look for those icemats on komplett.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Been using a MSIntelli v3 and Ratpad combo for about a year now. Its great..you'll never even consider using a ball mouse again. My only quibble is the feet on mine. I dunno does it happen to every mouse eventually, but my mate got a Logitech dual optical there recently, and the feet are made a different plastic..works great on the ratpad. MS should use them

The Boomslangs are monstrous in my opinion. Way too big, the side buttons are awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Still using the logitech mouse I got with my first ever pc well over 3 years ago now. Its just standard wheel with 2 buttons, had other mice but didnt like em, gona just buy a replacement of this one tbh ive grown to used to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

I have a M$ explorer, it isn't too good for gaming- too high, buttons feel a bit flimsy and the plastic feels kinda low-grade. Also, after a few hours of it being on the optical thing sort of warms up and causes your hand to get sweaty when gaming :(
    Another point, I use it a LOT, but the cheap grey paint gets melted and ****ty.

Does anyone know if you can still get the razer boomslang anywhere?

I might get the logitech dual optical thing, but can someone tell me if it heats up after it's been on for a few hours? (not good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by /|/)etal)-|ead
    I might get the logitech dual optical thing, but can someone tell me if it heats up after it's been on for a few hours? (not good)
    I've never noticed any heat at all from it, even after 12 hour Wolf sessions. /proc/bus/usb/devices tells me the thing is asking for just 100mA - at five volts that makes half a watt at most. Hard to get warm on half a watt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

just make a left-handed one... please(!)

sod mouses... get a trackball for accuracy, tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah, its not the optical thing getting warm, more perhaps that it isn't dissipating the heat from your hand very well. Bard, what are you talking about trackballs for? This thread is about gaming mice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...a guy I used to work with used to be pretty handy with Quake - yes, Quake 1 - back in the day, and it appeared to me that the mouse acceleration on his setup was very low and when he was turning sharply (he was using mouse look) he was having to repeatedly (not to mention frantically) pick up the mouse when it got to the edge of the mat and put it down again at the other side - I'm not sure exactly how to describe this properly so that everyone can follow what I'm trying to say - and it seemed to work quite well for him.

Getting back to the point, the question I have is if this sort of practice is still going on, there's a big difference between optical and ball mice here - the ball will keep spinning once the mouse is lifted off the desk, but the optical one will stop once you lift the mouse enough for light to get in, so the effect of this technique is dramatically reduced - or am I missing something important?

Gadget
    P.S.> For what it's worth, I'm using a one of the white MS Intellimouse Opticals - although I'm far from being Microsoft's greatest fan, it's a wonderful mouse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The mouse ball doesn't seem to spin on mice these days after you lift it from the table, however it is a big advantage to have a mouse which you can pick up easy, which means a mouse which narrows a lot from top to bottom is bad. Also a lighter mouse is good.
    Most quake players these days would need to lift the mouse from one side of the mat to the other, though the amount varies a lot between players.

Trackball - not a gamer I suspect....

Neither of my logitech dual opticals get hot. I have one at home and the other at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Logitech Optical USB iFeel Mouse.

Dropped it a few times and I feel it's feeling the effects lately.

Looking to pick up another optical mouse @ Christmas while in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

1168.jpg
    My next mouse, the logitech mx 500.

logitech mx 500...ooh I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭/|/)etal)-|ead

Now they should make a keyboard for gaming with re-enforced steel wasd keys, and hundreds of buttons surrounding them for force powers/ scope zoom etc ;)

Advertisement