Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Squashed flies on your motor

Options
  • 24-09-2002 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Has anyone got any good tips on how to get squashed flies off the paintwork of my car? I like to keep my motor looking it's best but unfortunalely these kamakazis' are taking from it. Before you mention it, yes I have tried all the different brands of elbow grease but the bloody remains just won't come off. I bought this stuff from Simoniz but it was not work a w*nk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

try tar remover. you know the stuff for removing those little black spots that never come off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Evil, are you talking about an actual tar remover product or just good old raw petrol which will take almost everything off including the paint.

Is there any one that you recommend?

you can get actual tar remover that will not damage your paint. it comes in similar type bottles to car wax and stuff. dont know who makes it though. try a decent car shop and ask at the counter or look around for it. it does involve time and a bit of rubbing buy it'll lift anything clean offthe paint if you do it right.i suppose the bigger petrol stations might carry it as would a truck shop

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Autpglym make a good motorcycle cleaning solution that you spray on the bike and is supposed to brreak down all the corpses and tar and stuff.

If it's on paint a good auto polish and some good old elbow grease should shift most stuff with some gentle persuasion from a finger nail ( not too much though)

If it's on crome or bare metal use t cut or aluminium wool is great for shiffting bugs and tar used both myself today.

A question of mine is: Is there anything you can get to prevent stainless exhausts from turning yellow/ off colour? I polish then everytime i was my bike to clear off the tar but I can see the colour changing on one of the pipes?

try a good quality rubbing compund, it's like polish but more abrasive and removes a microscopic layer of whatever you use it on. tell the guy in the shop it's for use on stainless steel and he'll sort you out, even better show him the bike and he might be able to tell you which compund will work best or how coarse a compund you need to use. he could also have a better idea than me. i don't have much experience with bikes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Thanks for the advice guys but since this weekend I will not need it. My wife was driving the car on Saturday evening at about eight o'clock when she got rammed by a drunken driver coming around a bend against her on the wrong side of the road. My son was in the back but they both are OK, apart from a little bit of bruising and stiffness.

The driver was only 22, and people wonder why insurance is so high for young drivers, it's a**holes like him that ruin it for everyone. My car will be written off and so will his own, the insurance company will love that.

**** sorry to hear about that. glad everyones ok though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The driver was only 22, and people wonder why insurance is so high for young drivers, it's a**holes like him that ruin it for everyone.

Nothing worse than someone who takes to the road while drunk!

Glad to hear that the family is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Don't tar all young drivers with that brush please - it's bad enough for us as it is. :(

As for that incident, there is no excuse for drink-driving no matter what age you are. I hope he'll get a stiff fine as well - the sooner idiots like him cop on the better for all of us. :mad: Hope your wife and child are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

totally agree with you Chimaera!!
    Very happen to hear the family is ok but not all us young drivers are the same!!
    If i had one pint then i wouldn't drive my car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

you all know i meant "happy" and not "happen" right???

DOH!!!!!

Advertisement