Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for work...attached a cv.zip

• 24-09-2002 11:54am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I am looking for work in the auto insurance field, but can also work in an office environment , call center as well.
    I have attached details in my cv.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

sorry, seem to be having problems with attachment...if you would like to see my cv. . . pm me and I will forward it you in an email.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, a couple of things...

your attachment works just fine, i can download it.

its not a CV you have attached, its a resúme. not big in ireland. people will throw it out mostly as there just isnt enough info on it.

objectives.
    not enough here. easy of ranyone to write down am a team player.
    give bullet points as to why. give examples. make them want you/ make them think that you are the solution to all their problems. sell yourself.

education.
    what diploma did you get?
    how many colleges were you in? why? did you get expelled? were they part of year away? what was involved in gettting your diploma?

work experience
    give more details. give more info on your responsibilities. what did you do between getting your diploma and starting work, theres a 2 year absence. it will be noticed.

the rest is pap. its fill in stuff. no idea what student certificate pre-licencing course is.no-one else will either. are you going for a spanish speaking job? english is pretty much expected. theres no point in adding this into a resúme, let alone a main heading in a CV.

you need a personal details section. people like to know how they are hiring. are you a single white female, or are you a 93 yr old black mexican with one leg. people like the comfort of knowing. if they dont know, they wont take the risk unless you have got the CV of an insurance king!

you also need some better contact details. a hotmail account is tacky, but i understand its all you got. its always easier to get a job when you have a job. you need a phone number contact in there as well as an address.
    you also need a good story.
    ive come from canada for 3 months isnt going to fill someone with a special need to hire you. more likely they will think you may just bugger off becuase you have nothing keeping you there. tell them you are getting married to an irish bloke or something. thats what i said when i moved to england. lie, but make it a small one :)

To be a team player while working for a company where I can utilise and enhance my skills.
    what are your skills?

the idea of the cv, is to sell youself.

you have to make the company think you are the fúcking dogs bollocks. you are the mutts nuts, the bees knees, the cream on the cake, you are 110% multiple orgasm girl, you have to sell yourself and you have to make them go all gooey and when they read your cv, you want them to circle it in a big marker and say 'i want this person, she fúcking rocks!'
    your resúme doesnt do that.
    youre resúme says that you got a diploma (not a big deal in a country where every second person has a degree*) and little else.
    what you do have is some experience, and thats where you sell yourself. you put in big bvullet point paragraphs about how you ran the office on your own, you did this that and the other. you were in charge of everything and you were in charge. whatever changes you implemented, whatever good ideas you had, whatever little coups you had, name them all, make yourself look like a master in your field.
    once youve sold yourself and you get an interview, then thats where you do it all again and you expand. the interview is where the company decideds which oif these fantastic people he/she wants. do they want a, b, c or this girl who can multitask in her sleep and is willing to sleep her way in :)

you will find that job hunting here is a bit different than canada :)
    its not as cold either

*by the way, all the best people dont have degrees
    all the best people drop out of college with nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 OttoVonBis

WhiteWashMan,

All good points.

Seems to be a split in schools of thought about C.V.'s versus Resumes. In my experience I have tended to use the one page Resume format, giving it plenty of "Hooks" for interviewers to ask questions about me [for which I have prepared rants]. This should have the effect of making it seem "Exciting" especially when filled with bullet points of how great I am at stuff [honest guv'nor].

>you also need some better contact details. a hotmail account is >tacky, but i understand its all you got. its always easier to get a >job when you have a job. you need a phone number contact in >there as well as an address.
    >you also need a good story.

I happen to have been mulling over this point today by coincidence....is it better to use your current corporate mailing address or to have a private hotmail account?

On the one hand having IBM or Microsoft on your mail address has obvious advantages when it comes to CV selection by people who have a limited time to make selection decisions, on the other hand the information finding its way back to your boss in said company could be detrimental to references etc. Ireland is after all a fairly small country.

Does any corporate address excite the potential selector more than a hotmail account or would one only be bothered if the address was a recognisable brand in the field?

youre point about personal or corprate mail is good, however, my point was that it is better to have some other options for contact as opposed to a single hotmail account.
    personally, i have a hotmail account on my CV, however i also have 2 phone numbers and a mailing address.

by the way, ive been sacked before for misuse of company property by using my work mail for applying for jobs.
    i would not under any circumstances advise anyone to use it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was at a career workshop once - apparently it's not a good thing to use your work e-mail address. Personally, I think hotmail does look a bit tacky - use another free one like netscape.net or even <shudder> eircom.net webmail

I'll look into the other email type, see your point, thanks everyone for the tips...been having a terrible time, everytime someone said they would see me they found out they couldnt help me because I need a work permit. ughhh
    /me goes off head in hands and sits in corner with a pint.

Originally posted by BEAT
    I'll look into the other email type, see your point, thanks everyone for the tips...been having a terrible time, everytime someone said they would see me they found out they couldnt help me because I need a work permit. ughhh

you arrived in the country without a work permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by BEAT

Heh. Don't expect to get anything better than a behind-the-counter-in-granny's-shop job if you haven't got a work permit.......

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

you arrived in the country without a work permit?

yes, well the way it works is you cant apply for a work permit yourself, your perspective employer must file one for you. After having sent about 50 cv's out and getting 50 rejections back from the states I found out it was because I was a risk, the companyy's see me as a risk since I am not in the country yet, and who's knows if I am serious about the move right? So after talking to one of the people who rejected me I was advised it may be easier once I am here. Well, it has'nt been easy, but I did find a few leads yesterday. Wish me luck! and I am still open for any advice anyone has, or any tips on jobs!
    Thanks again

• Advertisement

I would imagine it will get easier to get a job come October as a lot of people who work in your field would be busy with Quarter End. All I know is that they leave us Administrators alone at these times of year and dont bother to raise any requests for IT support, so I doubt they would be in a recuriting cycle.

So it you get a work permit through "Company A", can you then decide to move to "Company B"?

How difficult is it for the Company to get the permit? Could you get any company to apply for one for you or would they then be bound into some kind of agreement?

Pretty much is there a way around the issue using such skills as dishonesty and corruption :)

If your unsure as to what dishonesty and corruption are I would be happy to introduce you to my local politician.....

I dont understand the system in place, would be interested to find out more if anyone knows.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    you need a personal details section. people like to know how they are hiring. are you a single white female, or are you a 93 yr old black mexican with one leg.

This is a seriou no-no these days..
    I would not put down xxx year old white male on my cv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yup I agree with jd.

That is like in the US military where you have those questions you just "don't ask".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

It is actually ILLEGAL in Ireland for an interviewer to hire/not hire you based on your race,religion,marital status etc. It is not pertinent to whether you get the job so it should not be on your CV and also NEVER EVER be asked in an interview.

Originally posted by OttoVonBis
    I would imagine it will get easier to get a job come October as a lot of people who work in your field would be busy with Quarter End. All I know is that they leave us Administrators alone at these times of year and dont bother to raise any requests for IT support, so I doubt they would be in a recuriting cycle.

So it you get a work permit through "Company A", can you then decide to move to "Company B"?

How difficult is it for the Company to get the permit? Could you get any company to apply for one for you or would they then be bound into some kind of agreement?

Pretty much is there a way around the issue using such skills as dishonesty and corruption :)

If your unsure as to what dishonesty and corruption are I would be happy to introduce you to my local politician.....

I dont understand the system in place, would be interested to find out more if anyone knows.........

ok, it isnt hard really for the company to get the work permit if they have followed the guidelines...basically that have to have advertised the job out in the general public for a month, if no suitable candidates are hired then they can file the work permit to hire me and pay the fee...which for a year is 400 euro.
    It sounds easy , but its finding the company willing to do it that is getting me. It takes about 4 weekes for the work permit process to be completed.
    Keep an ear out for me please!

Originally posted by jd

This is a seriou no-no these days..
    I would not put down xxx year old white male on my cv

oh christ, stop taking me so bloody literaly will you.
    i mean you need a details section with contact number, etc etc etc.

besides, i can tell you that people are discriminated against on the grounds of race colour age gender, but no HR person is going too turn around and say it to your face.

Hi Beat,

I remember that you have Spanish as a language.

IBM are hiring multilingual employees at the moment, most likely for call centers in Blanchardstown or Santry, but hey they wont have any problems sponsoring you.

I believe that you are plenty qualified for the job's on offer.

Only number HR I could get to call up on is a UK one:

Try ringing 0044 02392 289 556 to get more info.

Let me know if that numero leads to nada.

Otto.

thanks for that otto, i went to thier website and found all the ireland locations and phone/fax #'S
    thanks a lot I will be contacting them and hoping for the best!
    cheers:D

Advertisement