Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Converting UK Licence to Irish

Options
  • 24-09-2002 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Having read some of the other posts in this board, it would seem that Ireland doesn't yet have a penalty points scheme, although one is in the pipeline.

My question, therefore, is this:

As a holder of a Full UK licence (for the last 8 years) which has penalty points on it, if I applied for an Irish licence would the points be somehow carried over, or disappear?

I've never seen an Irish licence, so I'm not sure if there's a space for my endorsement.

There's certainly a mechanism in place (consisting of several hundred forms) for 'converting' my UK licence to an Irish one, as I have made enquiries regarding this.

Thanks in advance for your help and information.:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

They vanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

That'd save me a few quid.

Is there likely to be a deadline for achieving this? I know it was mentioned elsewhere that October was when the Irish penalty points were due to be implemented, but that deadline was then scoffed at........

I hope I'm not offending anyone by desiring to 'sidestep' the stigma of points on my licence...... I've paid over-the-odds on insurance for two years now due to them and feel that I've 'learned my lesson your honour' :rolleyes:

Also- does anyone know anyone who has done this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I've done it, though the three points on my licence (58mph on the M25 no less) had expired anyway. Have a few friends who moved back with valid points but didn't even get asked about them.

If I were you I'd get it out of the way as soon as possible. The government still seems to have a few problems with the introduction but I don't think it will be too long away. There's also the possibility that they'll screw up points transfer (3 points for speeding in the UK should become 2 points for speeding in Ireland).

Advertisement