Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky and ITV win Champions League coverage from next season

• 24-09-2002 5:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

It's breaking news, but Sky and ITV have won the rights to show the Champions League, with a new contract begining next season.

More soon........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

****e :(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Mike, its no different from the situation we have now, where ITV1 only show a game a week.

Irish rights, currently owned by TV3, have not been decided yet.

UEFA press releasehere...

The nuts and bolts are ITV won the Tuesday night live and highlights rights and Sky won Wednesday night games and highlights, and the rights to screen unshown Tuesday night games.

One thing that is odd is that each channel has highlights rights only to the night they show live matches, ie no highlights on ITV on Wednesday nights. Seems very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair enough Damo (I just dont trust em!).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 barnes2k

With Sky getting champions league i tink they will know win over all opposition because having 14 out of the 16 champions league games live is unreal!you can just press the red button and select which game u want while itv have just 2....sky digital is a must from next year!!

And we'll merge these threads together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by barnes2k
    With Sky getting champions league i tink they will know win over all opposition because having 14 out of the 16 champions league games live is unreal!you can just press the red button and select which game u want while itv have just 2....sky digital is a must from next year!!

but will they show them all? it is what i would love but what will this do to TV3 coverage. will it be Tuesday only games for the national broadcaster or blank screens for Irish Sky Sports subscribersor normal coverage on both. i'm confused but have Sky gotten PPV or pay tv rights

No, its not PPV on Sky as I understand it, just yer common Pay TV rights. I would expect these games to be Sky Sports Extra exclusives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

According to the BBCi digital text last night, it said Sky's Champion's League Matches will be pay-per-view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Watching Sky Sports News last night and they interviewed one of their own guys.

Spoke about people wanting to see Real Madrid et al when they were not playing a British team.
    With Digital TV he said we can now offer this.

sounds like they plan to show all the other games live except the 2 chosen by ITV.

Happy days for football fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Initally when I heard the news I thought brilliant! Now we have a choice in whatever game we want to watch. But on thinking about it this morning surely those rights are for the UK only? The Irish rights are up for negotiation today and unless a similar TV3(RTE)/Sky bid wins, wont we have a "not available" message for Sky's Champion's League games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Whats the bets Sky will increase their sub prices next year due to them getting champs league.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Took this from todays guardian

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,798627,00.html

Sky will show 14 matches live from each week of the group stages with viewers able to select their live game - or switch between games - by using Sky digital's interactive service. The final will be shown live on Sky and ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Spanner Head,

In relation to subscription prices going up . The price of Sky has risen every year since I got it about six years ago. So next year will be no exception.

At least we'll get something extra for our increase next year!!

Advertisement