Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow... acceptance... not rejection...

Options
  • 24-09-2002 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Okay, this isn't some crazy new relationship or an extension to the whole lesbian saga, this is something completely different. My granny. Not many (any?) of you know this but the relationship between me and my granny has never been a very good one... she's always seen me as a younger version of my father whom she, for want of a better word, hated. I've vowed to never become my father but this didn't mean much to her, anything that's gone wrong or whatever has more often than not been my fault.

I wasn't exactly a nice person to her either and we almost constantly fight to the extent that I haven't been in her house more than ten times in the last three years. This might not seem abnormal if it wasn't for the fact that she lives about ten minutes away from me and the rest of my family see her almost daily.

Anyway, yeah, school jackets... I've never had a new jacket for my school always just hand-me-downs from cousins or family friends or whatever. I guess it's just one of those little things I've always wanted but never been able to afford. It's not like their extortionately priced or anything but single mommy buying school uniforms for three growing lads every year doesn't exactly lead to frivolousness. I've just always wanted a shiny new school jacket I guess.

Cut to ten minutes ago, my granny is over to mind my little brothers 'cos I was meant to be going out tonight but as of a half an hour ago that's been cancelled but my granny came anyway. So, she walks in with a big bag and I'm thinking "what's the crazy whore gone and one now?" but she opens the bag and hands me a shiny new school jacket! I didn't know what to say, it sounds really weird but this means more to me than anything anyone could have done and it means even more coming from my granny!

It's really hard to explain, but I am insanely happy right now... yay! Methinks I've got my granny back. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

It doesn't sound weird... it sounds fantastic. It's like one of those happy, feel-good stories that you hear around Christmas, if that makes any sense...

Yes. Anyway. Yay! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Yay!

That's cool. Recently I discovered my father ISN'T hideously ashamed of me so I know what you mean! <FEELGOOD VIBES OH YEAH!>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I'm happy for you :)
    I dunno, I guess I never really got to know any of my grandparents
    well there was my one granny, who lived with us but she died when I was 9, maybe thats a reaso for osme of the resentment I have.
    but meh, my other granny died this summer and i never knew etheir my grandads.
    I only saw my last grandmother like twice a year, she lived in Armagh (me dads from armagh so :P to any kerry people, serves you right ya stuck up <insert dirty word>) so I dunno, I cry alot and I didnt cry at her funeral, meh where the hell am I going with this?
    <scratches head> *wanders off*

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Green Hand Guy

Ah, good old grandparents. Since I was the first grandchild on my dad's side of the family his parents thought I was the best thing since whatever good thing came before sliced bread. Also they looked after me during the day while my parents were working until I was about 4 so I was pretty close to them. They're dead now though. Poor me. (awwwww)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Excellent!
    *hug*

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

i have seventeen (!!!!!!!) uncles and aunts. (not including the in-laws) i've met about eight of them.
    my granny died when i was five and have no other ones.
    pity me people.

Advertisement