Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

what sort of pings did you get flibble? They're not using 802.11b on the rte tower,but some posher 2.4gig stuff aimed at WISP's I believe. So instead of the 1st hop being about 1 ms, I was told it'd be 20! You play any online fps's? or could you ping www.jolt.co.uk and stick up the resulting times? I'm just curious what the service will be like when i get it,

I saw kevoks pings were great, but those weren't on the rte tower, were they?

Greg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Don't remember the ping - I'm not big into oline gaming (although broadband is likely to change that)
    I'll ping it when my connection gets fixed.

Does no one reading this thread use IBB? - perhaps cause no one is answering means they've been cut off too.
    Or maybe I should try an IrelandOnline forum;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!

Burn IBB offices and let the ppl take over :)

quzol, pinged them:

PING clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=0 ttl=244 time=30.955 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=244 time=38.334 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=244 time=47.011 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=3 ttl=244 time=34.193 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=4 ttl=244 time=26.661 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=5 ttl=244 time=47.632 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=6 ttl=244 time=28.936 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=7 ttl=244 time=23.616 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=8 ttl=244 time=27.419 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=9 ttl=244 time=23.862 ms

--- clarity.jolt.co.uk ping statistics ---
    10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 23.616/32.861/47.632 ms

I had a few downloads going at the same time which might affect it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

They're pretty jaysus nice pings, at least compared with anything I've gotten on dialup (especially nolimits...).

How long did it take them to get the service back up tho? You mentioned it'd gone down and that they were unreachable, then.... next thing you're talking about ping times you're getting?

zynaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

To the same server i average 18 - 24, so i'd imagine that your downloads were having some sort of effect.

are you on the RTE tower kevok? If you're not then that'd explain the ping difference. RTE tower doesn't use 802.11b and has a first hop with about 15ms more latency.

The downloads probably are effecting the ping times though.

Greg

They rang me the first day they were back working - jan 2nd. One guy came round and spent most of the day here without getting it working. Next day somone else came round and got it working in minutes. I'm not sure if they had a problem at the transmitter end.
    I was happy with their support.

I'm on the Sandyford transmitter. Yes Mr. Fibble, its true, they do have excellent support.

I just finished a game of Elite Force. It truly is weird having the LOWEST ping on a server when not a few months ago it was the highest.

I'd never, ever, ever go back. But i still don't understand why i never seem to get more than 512k a second when downloading when i'm paying for the 1024k one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

ull actual speed for the 1024 should be about 128KB/s (or is it kb?)
    if ur getting 512 then ur getting much more than what your paying for.

Dont suppose theres an update on the Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire transciever? :(

• Advertisement

Its possible that they have you set up for 512k. They kept assuming I wasnted 512k till I corrected them. Or it could yust be internet traddic. Try downloading some of this: ftp://ftp.esat.net/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/8.0/en/iso/i386/psyche-i386-disc1.iso

its hosted on an Irish site so should be fast.

Trying two files at a time might be a better test: ftp://ftp.esat.net/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/8.0/en/iso/i386/psyche-i386-disc2.iso

Let me know what speed you get.

Almost 64k a sec exactly. Obviously they haven't set me up properly, i'll give em a ring tomorrow about it.

Aye, do. Defo ain't right. Ask for 3Mbit for a month as compensation:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

So it's January, I know a lot of tests & installations were held up and to be done this month. Has anyone heard anything from them? I'm supposed to be waiting for a new node in Belmont Retirement Home, Stillorgan .... anyone connected to this yet or got any news?

*ping* :)

rob

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I got a call from them a couple of days ago saying they would come over on tuesday morning (yesterday) to install. They rang on monday afternoon to let me know they wouldn't be able to make it as they are behind schedule on the installs, and that i'd get a call on tuesday to setup a new date. I didn't get a call so I rang today, they plan to install it for me next monday or tuesday. Apparently a few of them are away on holidays or something and aren't back till next monday so they are behind.

*shrug* We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

im due for my LOS again tommorow morning, sound like theyre actually coming this time n all.

cant wait actually, id really hate to fail it after all this time waiting.
    will let you know how it goes...

no ladder
    not one long enough to reach the roof here anyway, which in fairness is quite high.
    said theyll be in touch tommorow...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

any word from u guys getting responces today?

baz

no, but i rang them and they informed me theyd be out here again on Monday, but said they'd ring back later today to confirm a time (which they didnt).
    so theyre coming on Monday (i think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ugreevy

well i had LOS in early December, they were hopingto install before christmas but i got a call saying that i would be contacted on Jan. 14th (tomorrow) with an installation date.

Hopefully Ill get the call and get myself sorted out ib4 the end oof the month

ill keep you informed!

• Advertisement

Getting installed on wednesday.

which tower are you getting the connection from Mike?
    Greg

****, i was under the impression the install would be fairly soon after a positive LOS (as in, the next few days)... i dunno if i can hack waiting yet another month like this (i cancelled isdn).

got a call from them today saying my 2nd LOS would be this thursday.

Donnybrook :eek:

bad news......

im no longer in range of the rock mast (im 5.7km) cos of the upgrades they did over christmas........

so i need another LOS to the Galloping green location...(which i dont think i can see from my roof but IB have said they will come out for another LOS) so more delays...

damn im gutted

bad news......

im no longer in range of the rock mast (im 5.7km) cos of the upgrades they did over christmas........

so i need another LOS to the Galloping green location...(which i dont think i can see from my roof but IB have said they will come out for another LOS) so more delays...

damn im gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

I just got fawbed off for another month so I will have been waiting 4 months for a LoS. They said they where updating the equipment as atomospheric conditions had caused a reduction in the quality of service & they wanted to improve the security of the connections. At this rate i might go for irishwisp(never)

post up your ping times when you're connected will you mike. My connects completely useless for gaming unfortunately.
    Greg

Just found out that i can't get IBB afterall; the guy (Michael, i think) who did the 'signal-test' obviously didn't think it important to actually 'test for signal' (he just looked at the RTE tower and said I could get it), so when the install guys came out to install this morning they discovered there wasn't enough signal to install. I was getting 88 at the highest when apparently 90 is the minimum.

\o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

thats odd .. your have clear line of sight I take it ?

Advertisement