Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeap, perfect view of the tower. The guy who came out today and did the test thinks there may be interference from UCD or something else between my house and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

damn universities ... *shakes his fist at the education system*

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yeah, the fuckers provide me with a connection slower than 56k in college and they block my access to broadband at home!

/me shakes fist until he gets tired 2 seconds later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by kaids
    Yeap, perfect view of the tower. The guy who came out today and did the test thinks there may be interference from UCD or something else between my house and RTE.

Is my understanding correct that IBB are using 802.11b and they are using the standard channel arrangement?

If so, this is worrying from a long term service perspective - if a neighbour or anyone else close-by (?) along the beam of the user's mesh antenna back to IBB's antenna decides to use the same channel, they could unwittingly knock out the IBB service to the user (probably interfering more with downstream path rather than upstream but same result).
    This is something I was alrady thinking about as I'm possibly on the fringe of IBB's coverage from 3Rock (if I can interpret their interesting but royalty-free map of South Dublin that is!). Could be in trouble when trees are covered in leaves in a few months, though...

Any views?
    /MK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The 3rock tower does use 802.11b I believe. The RTE one doesn't, it uses a different 2.4 gig technology aimed at WISP's.

I'd be concerned about noise, but they seem to fail anyone who's even remotely borderline, so if they feel confident installing you, you'd probably be grand

Greg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

FAILED ! :eek: after all that!
    ****ing trees!!!!!!!

ah well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.
    back to the drawing board.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Passed It.

Very happy with service so far.

Excellent pings and great downloads.

JAK.

Will post pings under broadband board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by nm
    FAILED ! :eek: after all that!
    ****ing trees!!!!!!!

ah well, it was a nice dream while it lasted.
    back to the drawing board.....

This might help :p
    link

/mk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I've been in touch regarding the transmitter for belmont nursing home and they have the contract etc signed and are waiting for equipment to arrive, i've been promised an e-mail as soon as equipemnt arrives to let me know when they are going to install :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

lol, indeed it would!

ive just ordered the test from leap there now and theyre coming out tommorow so it'll be interesting to see how that goes... although double the price for half the speed (99 for 512) isnt ideal its a hell of a lot better than my current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

got an Irish Broadband connection installed on Wednesday after a successful LOS the week before to the RTE transmitter

the LOS and Installation teams were great, fitted it to the rear chimney so it can't be seen from the front, and they were able to pass the cable straight down the chimney into the spare room (we don't light fires!) so no drilling wall/windows - just straight into the Power Over Ethernet box and connected to the Desktop PC

i'd the Desktop PC set-up with Bluetooth so been able to connect the laptop and PDA to it and use the broadband connection anywhere in the house - PDA is very handy for IM and checking the listings watching the TV downstairs :cool:

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Ardmore
    IBB has already indicated that they are planning to put a transmitter on a building in (?)Phibsboro(?).
    The Dunnes Stores building in Blanchardstown was the last I heard mention, but then I haven't heard anything out of IBB for a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by DubWireless
    i'd the Desktop PC set-up with Bluetooth so been able to connect the laptop and PDA to it and use the broadband connection anywhere in the house - PDA is very handy for IM and checking the listings watching the TV downstairs :cool:

BrianG
    You knacker ;)

Mmm, broadband while walking around the gaff with a laptop, for... well, less than DSL.
    Japan, here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Originally posted by zynaps
    The Dunnes Stores building in Blanchardstown was the last I heard mention, but then I haven't heard anything out of IBB for a while...

I emailed IBB about this last week enquiring if there are planning on putting a transmitter in the Blanch/Clonsilla area and i got a nice email back from a lady there.
    She said that they were enquiring on a couple more transmitters, one of them being in the Ballycoolin/Snugbourough. At the moment, i am unsure if she was referring to the Dunnes Building next to the Blanchardstown Centre, but i will send her another email or call them sometime during the week.

Here is a copy of Both emails received from IBB rep:
    At the moment our service is only available in the areas surrounding
    Sandyford, Three Rock Mountain and the RTE transmitter in Donnybrook. We are
    in the process of negotiating other high sites on which to place our
    transmitters, and we will have three additional base stations going live in
    the city centre over the next couple of weeks.

We are negotiating with a property owner the possibility of placing an
    additional transmitter in the area, this is most likely to be around the
    Ballycoolin / Snugborough area so I don't know if you would have clear line
    of sight of the area, if you like I can keep your details on file and let
    you know closer to the time if we make any progress in the area.
    Yes, Ballycoolin is the location because we would be trying to reach the
    industrial estates in the area, I know the area well because I used to live
    in Clonee and I doubt if you can be reached across the motorway but I'll let
    you know closer to the time what's happening and you can decide then if you
    want us to do a signal test for you.

I am unsure why they would be trying to reach the industrial estates in the area with their wireless service because i know that AT&T provide lines to IBM in the Ballycoolin Industrial Estate(I work with IBM.com sales & support centre based in this industrial estate).
    While this is really great for people in the Corduff area and the Industrial estates, i think its bad news for people in Clonsilla/Castleknock etc. because as stated above it more than likely will be useless for us on the other side of the motorway.

[probaby should have put this in the IBB thread so mods feel free to move it]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Hooray TacT :p

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Just wondering bout the Rathfarnham area.
    Im living bout half way up the Grange road and am hopeing that im in LOS, any 1 know if i pass??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

i think its bad news for people in Clonsilla/Castleknock etc. because as stated above it more than likely will be useless for us on the other side of the motorway

Well, how would it be useless ?
    Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought a transmitter should have a 3 km radius, maybe smaller/larger ? :confused:
    The ballycoolin area is on a slight uphill slope as well :)
    A 3km radius would reach alot of blanchardstown and reach to the nether-lands of lower navan road and even finglas :):)

(on a side note At&T also supply the Xerox campus in the area as well !)

Originally posted by gurramok
    Well, how would it be useless ?
    Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought a transmitter should have a 3 km radius, maybe smaller/larger ? :confused:
    The ballycoolin area is on a slight uphill slope as well :)
    A 3km radius would reach alot of blanchardstown and reach to the nether-lands of lower navan road and even finglas :):)

(on a side note At&T also supply the Xerox campus in the area as well !)

I dont know tbh, i'm just guessing based on what the lady from IBB said in the emails....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I've been watching what I think is the roof of belmont nursing home and I think I can see their new transmitter :D It certainly wasn't there the last time I looked.

It's hard to judge the size because of distance, looks much bigger than I expected (a simple omni), about 6 inches wide and maybe 4 feet tall, but not very high off the roof .... that could be a wireless antenna right??

Well, hopefully I am looking at the right building and it is indeed the antenna, any word from them TacT?

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

What area did they say this would cover. Its probably been mentioned before but i dont really wanna search through 16 pages. Im in Dun Laoghaire (york road). Any point in me emailing em....well i might as well i guess. Its free :p

(hasnt this turned more into a nets/coms issue than ioffl? )

• Advertisement

Hm you're wrong, theres no new transmitter and nothing has been agreed as of yet! Said the squirrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

There are in fact plans to get a IBB Site up on the Belmont Nursing Home. ETA on that is around 2-3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you IBB people are the most persistent pimpers I have seen in an age :confused:

Originally posted by Chaz
    There are in fact plans to get a IBB Site up on the Belmont Nursing Home. ETA on that is around 2-3 weeks.

From where did you hear this now?
    Don't copy any mails or anything just tell me the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If chaz is saying there will be, there probably will be. I know him from elsewhere.

Btw chaz, welcome to boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ok, so I've only read to page 8 but it's late and I dont want to read it all.
    I noticed there seems to be a problem with Stillorgan and from what I read it seems it's Stillorgan village ie the lwr kilmacud road. Something was said about a line of trees around the reservoir. There's lots of trees around it which ones are being talked about? Anyway I live just in front of the Industrial estate so I'm on the upper Kilmacud road. I better be able to a get LOS or I'll be pissed.
    I dunno where Burton Road is but if those Atrium buildings are blocking the LOS from their antenna to my house Microsoft are getting letter bombed. ;)
    If I cant get LOS to the Sandyford mast then maybe I can get it from three rock but there's trees in my backgarden that may mess things up. If they do it's out with the chainsaw.

melachi - I work for IBB.

ESB site went up yesterday - not completed yet - weather dependant will be completed today or tomorrow .... this starts serving towards City Centre sides of the system.

Greets to Dublinwan/Irishwanners.

Chaz, is there anymore news on the Blanchardstown area ?

We are trying to see if we can get access to that tall building next to the major shopping centre. I am not sure what the time base on this is - as there are other sites that are planned to go up before then.

ESB, Guiness Tower, George's Quay, Belmont Nursing Home ... and a few others.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Chaz
    We are trying to see if we can get access to that tall building next to the major shopping centre. I am not sure what the time base on this is - as there are other sites that are planned to go up before then.

ESB, Guiness Tower, George's Quay, Belmont Nursing Home ... and a few others.

:( great.......so another 8 months or more then ..... ?

Advertisement