Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Chaz
    We are trying to see if we can get access to that tall building next to the major shopping centre. I am not sure what the time base on this is - as there are other sites that are planned to go up before then.

ESB, Guiness Tower, George's Quay, Belmont Nursing Home ... and a few others.

Any sites around Dublin 9, maybe the Marino Institue, or those new apartments near by?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Rid - please dont shoot the messenger. I am not in any position to decide when sites come up. I have simply asked the persons in charge of this - and that was the info which I have kindly handed over to you. Would you prefer to not hear any info at all?

No - it will not be 8 months - we expect to see a site up every 2 weeks or so. The longest times take get sites up are usually the negotiations with the high site owners - this is a process we cannot rush - and planning of the backhaul and network resillence.

ESB should be running by tomorrow - weather dependant.

Sorry - posted reply while yours was being typed.

BK - there is George's Quay - might cover ... just heard that we have aquired Mount Joy Square .... eta of site being up - 4 weeks.

This is around 1-2 kms from the area you have indicated - and obviously LOS issues apart would serve that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Rid - please dont shoot the messenger. I am not in any position to decide when sites come up. I have simply asked the persons in charge of this - and that was the info which I have kindly handed over to you. Would you prefer to not hear any info at all?

erm, i was shooting no messengers. just asking a question...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

High Site:

St Davids CBS,
    Artane,
    Malhide Road,
    Dublin 5.

Give the school a deal cheap internet access and I am sure they would be willing to host an ariel for you. I would be willing to give the principle a call (outside of IOFFL) for you to arrange a meeting if you like,

The school should have LOS to places like,
    Coolock,
    Artane,
    Fairview,
    Marino,
    etc ... big chunks of North Dublin anyway,
    there are currentily no Ariels on its roof
    It is a five story building sitting on top of a hill ...
    oh yeah

• Advertisement

Thanks

Have forwarded to our planning guys.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sorry - posted reply while yours was being typed.

BK - there is George's Quay - might cover ... just heard that we have aquired Mount Joy Square .... eta of site being up - 4 weeks.

This is around 1-2 kms from the area you have indicated - and obviously LOS issues apart would serve that area.

Thanks for the info Chaz, I'd guess I'm above the elevation of Mount Joy Square :(

Anyway I'll give IBB a ring next month and see.

Oh and I would second MDR's proposal that would be closer to me. Also another possible spot is the top of the Marino Institue.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

We are trying to see if we can get access to that tall building next to the major shopping centre.

I take it you mean the Dunnes Stores building? That won't be ideal as it's in a hollow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

any update on monkstown?

Belmont and Dalkey Hill are the closest to Monkstown. We have been getting good results with as far as 3 Rock with respect to distances covered - so if the Belmont nursing home or Dalkey Hill is visible - might be in with a shot.

There has been neg. to get onto the DÚN LAOGHAIRE shopping centre - but the rent was too expensive.

• Advertisement

LFCFan .... im not sure - I am referring to the tall building which looks like a hotel of sorts - Bluish Colour - plenty glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Out of curiousity, where in Mountjoy Square will the AP be? - The Bus Depot, perchance?

LFCFan .... im not sure - I am referring to the tall building which looks like a hotel of sorts - Bluish Colour - plenty glass.

Yeah, that's the Dunnes Stores building. It was built for Dunnes but now they're not moving in so they have to rent it out as far as I know. Blanchardstown Shopping Centre is in a hollow so the area that any of these buildings could serve will be dramatically less then if it were on level ground.

MountJoy Mugger - not sure - will try and find out when I see one of the guys.

LFCFan ... so that tall building is Dunnes Stores building - the one opposite the shopping centre and retail park?

I saw the site 3 weekends ago - looked good on face value .... not sure which others they have in mind to use. I you can suggest better - I will pass on the info to our planning guys - and that goes for other sites too.

Chaz

Thanks for your reply. Can you be more specific about your reply regarding Belmont and Dalkey hill, are there access points there?

I failed a LOS for three rock before xmas

thx

LFCFan ... so that tall building is Dunnes Stores building - the one opposite the shopping centre and retail park?

I saw the site 3 weekends ago - looked good on face value .... not sure which others they have in mind to use. I you can suggest better - I will pass on the info to our planning guys - and that goes for other sites too.

There's a tall building in the Blanchardstown Corporate Park that is occupied by Synopsis. It's the first building on the right as you go into the Park. It would be a good highpoint as this area is at a higher level then a lot of the Dublin 15 area. Just an idea anyway.

Gunner

Sorry - mentioned earlier in the thread. Belmont Nursing Home. Not sure of exact details of Dalkey Hill - like the info about Mount Joy - will post that as soon as I have the info.

The equipment on 3 Rock has been changed from DSSS to FH. We are picking 3 Rock as far as close to RTE - HOWEVER not with acceptable install signals. It does look fairly good - and we will try and establish as soon as possible how far into the MonksTown area we can install off 3 Rock - and then the nursing home and Dalkey Hill.

LFCFan - is that building not the one im reffering to next to the Retail Park - and opposite the shopping centre?

no, Blanchardstown Corporate Park is about 3 miles from the Shopping Centre past the Institute of Technology. You can see if from nearly everywhere in the area.

K - will keep that in mind and pass the info on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Afaik LFCFan is referring to the Corporate Park, where IBM and the likes are. Its on Ballycoolin Road. That area is naturally elevated above the shopping center area.

"Retail Park" can be taken to mean shopping centre (incl Dunnes Building) area and "Corporate Park" is the area of many business parks along Ballycoolin Road overlooking the whole area.

Matt

EDIT - See LFC replied too. :)

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Afaik LFCFan is referring to the Corporate Park, where IBM and the likes are. Its on Ballycooling Road. That area is naturally elevated above the shopping center area.

"Retail Park" can be taken to mean shopping centre (incl Dunnes Building) area and "Corporate Park" is the area of many business parks along Ballycoolin Road overlooking the whole area.

Matt

EDIT - See LFC replied too. :)

The Corporate Park(I work here) is actually the new one situated closest to the new housing development in Tyrrelstown. The one where Bristol Meyer Squibb Pharmacutecals are. It's close to Ballycoolin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

ok Chaz, that's great.
    Can I be contacted when this is up to schedule a new LOS test or something?

Let us first see how far we get with the proposed sites in the area - and the general coverage.

Perhaps PM me your address so I can mark it on the map - and keep tabs on it for you for coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Originally posted by LFCFan
    The Corporate Park(I work here) is actually the new one situated closest to the new housing development in Tyrrelstown. The one where Bristol Meyer Squibb Pharmacutecals are. It's close to Ballycoolin.

I'm just down the road from ya in IBM in the Ballycoolin Business Park:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

any coverage for blackrock planned?

scruff

read back a few pages, a few more sites going up every few weeks, I am in Monkstown and have been told by IBB that our areas will be covered in the next two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

IBB...If you are reading this....the top of the new helix theatre in DCU might give good LOS into the Santry, Beaumont and Glasnevin area......It would definitely do Santry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

I've got my LOS in Churchtown this week coming.

My question: is LOS *literally* line of sight? We're on top of a hill about 500 meters from Dundrum Shopping centre, but there are several trees in the surrounding gardens.

And as an addendum, I'm looking at building a single storey house next door some time in the future. Does that definitely rule out wireless internet in the future?

Cheers
    9lives

• Advertisement

It it pure LOS.

There is a Zone between the antenna that needs to be clear - called a Freznel Zone - this is eliptical in shape and is shaped horizontal or vertical depending on the antenna polarity.

Trees are a problem - however if you are within short distance - ie 1km and less - this would normally not be a problem.

If I remeber correctly - the area you are in is not that close - lets do the LOS and see.

Advertisement