Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ugreevy

Chaz,

I had LOS test to 3-rock before christmas and I passed it - however because of the technical upgrade over the hols I was deemed out of range (5.75 km). Im in Deansgrange close to the Grange pub. Do you reckon I would have LOS to Belmont (when i had LOS done the guy couldnt see Belmont from my roof but it was night time)

Have you considered the new building in Deansgrange Industrial estate as a possibility for a antenna - it is a very high building (certainly as tall if not taller than the Belmont building).

Please let me know if you have anything in the pipeline cos if i dont get it sorted out soon Ill sell my soul to eircom or Esat

Cheers

u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

Well my LOS got canned due to the weather this morning.

Did anyone in Churchtown (specifically around Weston Road, Sweetmount Avenue or Beaumont Avenue I suppose) have the LOS done?

Not sure I'll book another one as it seems IBB can only call during office hours and that doesn't suit me...

- G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dingo

Good LOS test, 10:20 this morning. Laurel Road (top of Beaumont Ave)

:)

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brooding-spirit

I've just contacted IBB about Dublin 15 - I'm living in the new Tyrrelstown estate and have been trying to get broadband on the horizon for months.

Talking to IBB today - they were quick and professional with the response; which was 2 months. Looking through the threads on the board it looks like the standard response.

Q. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?
    A. I'll tell you in 2 months.....

Considering it took Eircom and NTL nearly a year to sort out the cabling in the estate I'm not holding my breath for broadband.

Leap have been very good at letting the side down too - claiming for the past 4 months that the 3 rock site would cover Blanch (ha ha) - wish I'd read these threads earlier.

-- I'm thinking of starting a Wireless LAN network for Tyrrelstown -- anyone interested?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm in Tyrrelstown too and have been told the Ballycoolin transmitter should be up and running soon as they have been given permission. Won't hold my breath though. There seems to be massive demand out here so it's weird that no company has offered anything yet. There are a lot of trees surrounding our estate though so the LOS could be hindered and there's also the fact that we don't have chimneys in this estate.

• Advertisement

Good number of tall houses though - what side of the estate are you on?

Originally posted by brooding-spirit
    I'm thinking of starting a Wireless LAN network for Tyrrelstown -- anyone interested?

Don't you need some backend for that like an ADSL connection? Neither €ircon nor Esat have any plans to upgrade the Tyrrelstown exchange. You any idea whereabouts the exchange is? Is it even big enough for upgrading?

I'm talking about a private wireless LAN for gaming etc.

Tyrrelstown will conquer the internet when it's good and ready.

Eircom built an exchange on the Bishops Orchard side of the estate (I went through this hassle last year when we staged a protest against the builders to get the job done).

It's a new exchange - there should be no reason why they cannot install DSL hardware. (Although after all the hassle - I am reluctant to pay them more €).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I am in the Clonsilla area here so not too far off, and i have also heard the same time... roughly 2-3 months is what IBB said. :(
    Hopefully they get that Ballycoolin transmitter up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Update on the nursing home please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'm in cabra near the north circular rd. I rang up last week and was told that the guinness transmitter would be up and running soon and they'd be out for an LOS next week. Is there any word on when all will be setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

*crosses fingers*
    Any plans for Bray/Shankill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Hi Guys

ESB is up and running and can now accept clients - see the webpage for a guide of the coverage.

Rain stopped play .... oops - Rain delayed us a bit with ESB - so therefore Belmont and others (such as Guiness and Sugar Co) have been shifted about a week down.

There should be around 3 sites up in the next 4 weeks - I know some of my normal LOS/Install planning has been shifted around to assist with getting the various sites up.

and the Ballycoolin transmitter?

LFCFan, Will try and find out tomrrow when I get to the office.

as you will have noticed there is huge demand for your service in the Dublin 15 area. If you don't do it, someone will(wishful thinking me thinks).

Chaz

Was looking on the web site - cannot find anything apart from the fact that ESB have the fibre network rolled out around the country.

Whats the story ? -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

More shuffling around with my Churchtown LOS.

Came out today and said it was too windy to do a test. Also reckon that a tree will block me.

Still, after nearly a month, I have not had the LOS done. ANOTHER apointment needs to be organised - third time. It's the oddest technology I've ever heard of!

- 9L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by 9lives

Came out today and said it was too windy to do a test. Also reckon that a tree will block me.

Still, after nearly a month, I have not had the LOS done. ANOTHER apointment needs to be organised - third time. It's the oddest technology I've ever heard of!

- 9L

Are IBB still using 802.11b? and on the new masts too?

- 9L

-- that's why God invented the chainsaw, ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Any plans for Bray/Shankill?
    IBB should definitly get a mast into Bray. We are not going to get ADSL till sometime next decade, so there is a big market for broadband (me thinks :D )

Originally posted by Chaz
    Hi Guys

ESB is up and running and can now accept clients - see the webpage for a guide of the coverage.

Rain stopped play .... oops - Rain delayed us a bit with ESB - so therefore Belmont and others (such as Guiness and Sugar Co) have been shifted about a week down.

There should be around 3 sites up in the next 4 weeks - I know some of my normal LOS/Install planning has been shifted around to assist with getting the various sites up.

Chaz - I couldn't find anything on the ESB website - other than their announcement of becoming the carrier's carrier.

When I called this morning; broadband was something akin to elasticband but for fat people..:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by brooding-spirit
    Chaz - I couldn't find anything on the ESB website - other than their announcement of becoming the carrier's carrier.
    The ESB is simply hosting an IrishBroadband transmitter on one of their properties. They are not providing the service.

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    The ESB is simply hosting an IrishBroadband transmitter on one of their properties. They are not providing the service.

Thanks - shows how easily I get confused.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Oddest Technology, or ineffective company?

9Lives.

The safety of the guys (including myself) doing Line of Sites are very important. It is easy to make a mistake, slip, fall and/or break something. In the last few days of windy conditions we have had one ladder lifted and blown off an extention to the ground into the neighbours property, and a day later one of our lads nearly blown off the ladder with a gust.

There is no reason we would want to delay any LOS or install - however safety takes precendence - trust me - you dont want to be doing the home owners paperwork if someone falls and gets killed on your property.

The Health and Safety regulations are very strict, and like any other company in Ireland, we are forced to follow them.

With respect to the technology, yes, it does lend itself to issues such as No LOS, no connection, but these are inherent issues with any technology - ADSL has cable distance and quality limitations etc. There is no reason why IBB or any other company wouldnt want to give you or anyone else a service - please bear with the guys when they make the call that it is not safe to do a LOS test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

Maybe you can put this question to bed once and for all Chaz what tec/kit/freq are you using as one of your competitors can offer longer range.IF someone has clear line of site to one of your transmitters whats the best range we could expect

there is also a new wireless Tech that doesn't require LOS. Could IBB not utilise this technology on new masts and increase your potential customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by LFCFan
    there is also a new wireless Tech that doesn't require LOS. Could IBB not utilise this technology on new masts and increase your potential customers?
    if you're talking about stuff like redline, you're talking thousands of pounds at the client end. That'd go down well.

Plus it's not in an unlicensed spectrum I think.
    Greg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think he was referring to solutions such as NextNetWireless, Navini and Allumera (URL's below). The problem with these however is that our good ol' government gave away all the licenses to Chorus. Oh well, fair play to 'em I guess. :mad:

http://www.nextnetwireless.com
    http://www.navini.com
    http://www.ibcwireless.com

There are many more actually, but you should be able to find them by searching the forum.

Edit: Actually I forgot to mention, there is one solution available that works in the 3G spectrum, and as such I believe should be possible to roll out here, unless they gave away all the licenses to o2 and Vodafone alone, which I believe they did not... More info at http://www.ipwireless.com -- I haven't really had time to read much about this yet though, so it may not be suitable for the Irish situation after all.

Advertisement