Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

The problem with these however is that our good ol' government gave away all the licenses to Chorus.

not to worry ... COMREG gets em back real soon ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    our good ol' government gave away all the licenses to Chorus. Oh well, :mad:

There is one solution available that works in the 3G spectrum, and as such I believe should be possible to roll out here, unless they gave away all the licenses to o2 and Vodafone alone, which I believe they did not... More info at http://www.ipwireless.com -- I haven't really had time to read much about this yet though, so it may not be suitable for the Irish situation after all.

The Chorus licences should be back by now but I hear that Chorus had the cheek to serve a writ on Comreg...twere them gave Chorus the licences. Has anybody heard about this writ which has apparently had Etain in knots ?

The (new)3G spectrum in the US is (old)2G spectrum in Europe which is how O2 and Voodoofone have the spectrum already.....and the tech has been mentioned in here starting January. Search for 1EV-DO (letter O) . Comreg commented favourably upon it in January which is how the discussion came about.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

Hi Chaz

Outside of the obvious assertion that I don't want anyone to risk life or limb for the sake of internet access, my only interest is that I'm told whether I can, or cannot, have it through IBB. It just seems difficult to believe I'm waiting four weeks to hear a 'yes' or 'no'.

I understand why - the inherent technology - but I'm sure you understand why it is frustrating and inconvenient.

Cheers
    - 9L

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

What are the waiting times for the LOS test, roughly? Am i likely to be waiting days, weeks, months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brooding-spirit

Originally posted by 9lives
    Hi Chaz

Outside of the obvious assertion that I don't want anyone to risk life or limb for the sake of internet access, my only interest is that I'm told whether I can, or cannot, have it through IBB. It just seems difficult to believe I'm waiting four weeks to hear a 'yes' or 'no'.

I understand why - the inherent technology - but I'm sure you understand why it is frustrating and inconvenient.

Cheers
    - 9L

9lives - ur patient.

after waiting this long for broadband - i'm ready to kill someone

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

"What are the waiting times for the LOS test, roughly? Am i likely to be waiting days, weeks, months?"

I got a LoS test in a little over a week in D4.

But couldn't get the service; too many trees.
    Bah. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 brooding-spirit

Originally posted by quaalude
    "What are the waiting times for the LOS test, roughly? Am i likely to be waiting days, weeks, months?"

I got a LoS test in a little over a week in D4.

But couldn't get the service; too many trees.
    Bah. :mad:

Damn Nature - always getting in the way of progress :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Waiting time is in the order of 1-2 weeks ... installs thereafter on a similar period.

Someone asked about BlachardsTown / Ballycolin (spelling) highsite. This will only be done one the others previously mentioned, Belmont, Sugar, Guiness etc are up - so not in the immediate future.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Chaz
    Someone asked about BlachardsTown / Ballycolin (spelling) highsite. This will only be done one the others previously mentioned, Belmont, Sugar, Guiness etc are up - so not in the immediate future.

A lot of people are asking. There would be a huge customer base in this area.

Not in the immediate future is a lot different to the answers we've been getting from your sales team. First it was early 2003, then it was in a couple of months, and now not in the immediate future. I guess we can say minimum 6 - 12 months.

I can't believe that companies are overlooking the Dublin 15 area. There are so many hi-tech firms out here so in turn a lot of high tech employees dying for affordable broadband. Your loss when some other company comes in ahead of you.

Originally posted by LFCFan

Not in the immediate future is a lot different to the answers we've been getting from your sales team. First it was early 2003, then it was in a couple of months, and now not in the immediate future. I guess we can say minimum 6 - 12 months.

Nice to see IBB learning all about customer service from the Masters of the Genre.

NTL make you all the same promises if you call them

M

• Advertisement

Muck, you're a man in the know. Have you any idea as to why Dublin 15 is constantly being overlooked for wireless broadband? Is there some geographical reason? Political? License issues? What can it be because it certainly can't be lack of potential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

perhaps your best bet is to bookmark their coverage maps page and when you see it updated to include your area to give them a call then?
    http://www.irishbroadband.ie/coverage.html

been using IBB since January off the RTE transmitter - 3 weeks from first call to install - and it's been a great service with a very reliable connection - and the difference it's made to my eircom bill - no more thuds as it drops though the letter box :)

BrianG

Muck, you're a man in the know. Have you any idea as to why Dublin 15 is constantly being overlooked for wireless broadband? Is there some geographical reason? Political? License issues? What can it be because it certainly can't be lack of potential customers.

It has something to do with Berties top secret plans for Dunsink Dump and the alleged suitablility of said Location as a Portal for Human and Extra Terrestrial Intercourse(of the non tactile variety).

Otherwise it may be that DSL kit does not come units which are divisible by both 3 and 5 as is 15 .

It still does not seem to stop them making promises that they have no intentions of keeping :( My sympathies, yiz are as badly off as we are here in the West

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

Will this service be xbox live/gamecube broadband adaptor/ps2 network adaptor compatible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Sorry Guys, perhaps I should have chose my words better.
    Not in the immediate future means not within 1-3 weeks. It most certainly does not mean months and months.

There are ealier highsites that need to come up first as mentioned before, once they are done, the next area such as Blanchardstown will be sorted.

Chaz, maybe you can answer the question as to why an area like Blanchardstown that has so many hi tech companies and probably their employees living in the area, is looked over for broadband constantly when there would be a massive customer base?

Come on man, there is no massive subvertive conspiracy against the population of blanchardstown. I know you are annoyed but really what sort of answer are you expecting Chaz to give. He has told you its on the list, I know its not soon and I know its frustrating, but I reckon he is beign as fair as he can be.

Originally posted by MDR
    Come on man, there is no massive subvertive conspiracy against the population of blanchardstown. I know you are annoyed but really what sort of answer are you expecting Chaz to give. He has told you its on the list, I know its not soon and I know its frustrating, but I reckon he is beign as fair as he can be.

I know of other stuff that led me to ask this question. It's got nothing to do with conspiracys etc. I just wonder if there is some economical/Environmental/Political reason why Dublin 15 is overlooked by more than just IBB. I mean, a lot of the Dublin 15 area is in a hollow and there are a lot of high points that would reach a hell of a lot of people.

Securing access to those high points in a hell of alot more difficult/expensive than you would think, I think that is principle problem shared by more wireless operators ....

Originally posted by MDR
    Securing access to those high points in a hell of alot more difficult/expensive than you would think, I think that is principle problem shared by more wireless operators ....

That's fine. I believe that there is a mast in Ballycoolin but it is an Esat mast and obviously they'd rather not give access to a competitor. Not that they are competing much themselves in the area of residential broadband.

• Advertisement

who owns the large glass building in the shopping centre ?

Originally posted by MDR
    who owns the large glass building in the shopping centre ?

Dunnes Stores. Problem is that area where the shopping centre is, is in a hollow so it would rule out large areas for access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I agree LFCFan... i'm starting to doubt getting a decent service in D15. I'm going on holidays in June, so hopefully when i get back the ball will have started rolling for D15. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Dunnes Stores. Problem is that area where the shopping centre is, is in a hollow so it would rule out large areas for access.

It's owned by Green Property, isn't it? It's 12/13 stories high, so hollow or no hollow it's about as good as you'll get anywhere in the city.

Incidentally, I mailed a couple of the wireless players about that very property a month or two back. Not even an acknowledgement in return.

Originally posted by pete
    It's owned by Green Property, isn't it?

The story is the CEO/Owner(Not sure what way it's run since Ben left) of Dunnes built the building thinking he could move all operations from the City Centre to this new building but the board refused when it was too late to not build the building. That's why it's been sitting empty for so long. Major fcuk on his part. Maybe he's sold it since or maybe he owns Green Property too. It was built with his own money AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Make those belmonst nursing home people an offer they can not refuse and get me connected!!
    If there are trees in the way then I will arrange for a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

http://www.elenco.ie/html/com/comprj.htm

In case anyone doesn't know the building in question, it's "Site K" on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

im with melachi, ill even supply the matches

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Are any of IBB's Services available to use with X-Box Live and if so..How?confused.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brianarundel

Just wonderin if anyone here knew of the location of IBB's Limerick City Antenna...

brian

Advertisement