Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by quozl
    do you support any sort of encryption apart from WEP (which is nasty)? Anything like a ipsec vpn over the wireless part of your network?
    If they require line of sight, it's a point-to-point tight-beamed directional link rather than a broadcast network. So an attacker can't just passively sniff your packets; they'll have to interpose an antenna in the beam between you and the base station. This is easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

What about Dublin City Center? Stick one on top of the Jervis Shopping Center and I'll be laughin'... :]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Originally posted by Meh
    If they require line of sight, it's a point-to-point tight-beamed directional link rather than a broadcast network. So an attacker can't just passively sniff your packets; they'll have to interpose an antenna in the beam between you and the base station. This is easier said than done.

Lol. You're thinking of laser beams!

With a directional such as a panel, you'll get about a 30 degree arc (you can get diagrams showing the patterns of various antennas). Down in doolin at the LBW we got a perfect 11mbit connection over a mile or so by sellotaping a panel antenna to the inside of a window pointing 25 degrees off true.

A yagi is slightly better, but basically anyone in a 30 degree arc from me, extending towards (and WAY past) RTE will be able to get everything I send.

Also, I may have a directional, but I doubt the base station has. I'd imagine it's a sectorised omni. Which means that everything coming to me will be broadcast from a great height in a 90 degree (assuming 4 sectorised panels) arc. Which means anyone in about a 25 square mile area can get everything sent to me easily. I should know, I've got an omni up on my roof which I sometimes run kismet on :)

However, as Lizzard says they're willing to run vpn's, I'd be quite happy trusting my data to one. Someone could still log everything, but they'll have an interesting time trying to decrypt it,
    quozl

as an aside. What essids are you using? I've got someone coming out for a line of sight test tomorrow, but I've logged about 2 dozen essids from my omni. Hopefully one of them is yours and i can get your service!
    quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Originally posted by LoBo
    any idea if dun laoghaire/sandycove is within range?

Dun Laoghaire/Sandycove area is approx 8 KM from the RTE tower at Donnybrook.

Blackrock is just about 3.5KM away, as are
    the edge of Stillorgan, all of Kilmacud, edge of Churchtown, all of Rathgar, Ranelagh, just south of St. Stephens Green, Merrion Square, Ringsend. Draw a circle approximately along the rough arc created by those landmark areas and you'll have an idea.

Discovery maps cost about EUR6 (?) and are great for figuring out distances, etc. They are at a pretty large scale, but small enough to see the whole area.

Available at most news shops. No I don't work for OSI. Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ok, im really really interested in this so i can dump this eircom rat off my desktop.

I think its time to toodle off to have a look at where i could put an aeriel. Im within range, but im really not sure about LOS. What form does a LOS test take does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

do the 'S' bit in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

And both transmitters are on the southside. Surprise sur-bloody-prise.

Apparently the Northside doesn't know what the internet is or something.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Im within range, but im really not sure about LOS. What form does a LOS test take does anyone know?

Dunno what these lads do, but as it's 802.11b, you should get a signal if you can see it clearly and you're within 10km. By clearly, I don't mean between the leaves on a tree though, the signal spreads out as it travels and there is a area around the direct line (called the fresnal zone) that has to be clear too.

Things like trees and buildings will reduce the range a 802.11b signal can travel from well over 10km to half a k.

I don't know why they just claim 3.5km on their website for the donnybrook mast, perhaps to stop ppl who are borderline from inundating them? Or perhaps because they dont want too many ppl flooding the base station? But if you can see where the antenna is mounted on the mast you should be able to get a connection (perhaps just 1 or 2 mbit),
    quozl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

They really should remove this line from their sales pitch
    Wireless Broadband Internet Access Now Available To Everyone, Not The Privileged Few

as i consider living with in a 3.5 km radius of the transmitter to be abit privileged.Still hope they expand their range by about 100 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hey, I live in Rathfarnham, D14....any chance of me being in range at all at all?

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cymbeline

Hi, I work in Irish Broadband and I just want to clarify that we can only provide a service at the moment within a 3-5 km radius of RTE and 1.5 km from Sandyford Industrial Estate, subject to line of sight. A line of sight test involves someone coming to your place to check the signal, if the signal is not strong enough we will not provide a service. We have no plans for the immediate future to expand to any other areas, you must appreciate that we are a start up company and we are trying to build up a core business before we can provide service to other parts of Dublin and the regions. We know there is huge demand out there and we appreciate the interest that everyone is showing. We are trying to negotiate more high sites so keep an eye on our website and we will let you know when we have any more base stations becoming operational.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

oh well - best of luck!

Let us know how you get on if you sign up, anyone.

I'd go for it if I were in range :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Lubly, im in range of both Sandyford and Donnybrook, i'd damn well better pass the LOS test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

don't know if it matters but just thought i'd say that im very interested and am in Dun Laoghaire. (if/when you expand plz do say so here ;) )

All the best with the business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

We are hoping to offer a service covering the Blanchardstown area within the next couple of months but this depends on getting a high site on which to place our transmitter.

I dont live in blanch but the odd time I got to the shopping centre, as you come off the motorway into the shopping centre theres a new offic building thats fairly tall (10+ floors), I'd say you could cover a fair amount of Blanchardstown and Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

It seems that cymbeline has Been Bad. I hope Lizzard will continue posting here though, seeing as hes done nothing to break any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Looks like they were pimping Irish Broadband in a bunch of forums...

The REAL trick (a la UTVi) is to offer a great service, then chat to your customers here, adapting the service to best suit everyone involved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/
    rish Broadband is currently operating in the following areas of Dublin

RTE Transmitter :Donnybrook , Dublin 4 3.5 km Radius

Burton Court:Burton Hall Road , Sandyford Industrial Estate , Dublin 18 1.5 km Radius
    starting at €40.00 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

more pimping :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Originally posted by NoelRock
    And both transmitters are on the southside. Surprise sur-bloody-prise.

Apparently the Northside doesn't know what the internet is or something.

i agree.
    Why can't you have the two transmitters on the southside and one on the northside? - Within Malahide's range...
    Not really fair to give half the city this option and not the other half.

[/edit]sorry, just noticed start up company comment...
    keep the northside in mind though!

Listen

Lets pimp DNS for a mo.

can the next 802.11xyz network rollout start with

1. A transmitter on the Rotunda
    2. A transmitter on the Ballymun Flats
    3. A transmitter on Howth Head pointing northwest
    4. A transmitter on Howth Head pointing southwest
    5. A transmitter on that tower block at Kilbarrack station.
    6. A transmitter on that block near the grand canal bridge in the North Strand area..

And then go straight to Navan and Cavan.

Dem southsiders are spoiwelled for choYoYece as dey say.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    Listen
    can the next 802.11xyz network rollout start with

1. A transmitter on the Rotunda
    2. A transmitter on the Ballymun Flats
    M

they'd be nicked. It serves you right you filthy northsider,
    quozl

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

just got this back from irishbroadband.ie about access in Blanchardstown.

Hi David,

We are actually in the process of negotiating a high site in Blanchardstown
    on which to place an antenna, as we are receiving a huge number of queries
    from the area. Unfortunately though, I reckon it will be at least 2 months
    before we will be in a position to offer a service, but I will keep your
    details on file and let you know if we make any progress. Sorry we can't
    help you right now, and thanks for your query!

Regards Angela

Read the Boards for the past 3 years.

That answer you posted is standard customer 'service' speak for

NOT NOW and PROBABLY NEVER

Vapourware sales are not welcome here because the faithful have been stung too often, please post back when a service actually and verifiably exists in Blanchardstown willya.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I reckon they should just extend to Monktown as a matter of urgency ;-)

I rang them last Friday and they said they plan to extend to monkstown / blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Has anyone actually got a line of site test done from these people yet? Quozl?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    I reckon they should just extend to Monktown as a matter of urgency ;-)

I second that. How far is Monkstown away from RTÉ anyway? :) 5KM ?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I have.

They came last Thursday and did the LOS test. Got 80% - 90% apparently. They were supposed to come today to do an SNR test (they didn't have that particular equipment last week). However bad weather meant they'd probably be risking their lives getting up on my roof. (Understandable :))

I'm 2.1km away from the Sandyford mast, which is the one I'd receive it from. Got sub 20% to the Donnybrook one.

Very nice people, happy to explain everything they're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

kevok, keep us posted, I am very curious to hear what the service is like....

seems like Monkstown is really the next place to extend into, they can use my attic for an access point if they want ;-)

Advertisement