Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

DIE TREES DIE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

DIE TREES DIE!!!

care to join me in hiring a chainsaw and doing a spot of deforestation sometime? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

Originally posted by pork99
    A guy up the road from me got it but it was a sheer fluke that he was aligned with a gap in the trees!
    I think that would be me - I'm on a slight hill which puts me about 20 ft elevated over the majority of Stillorgan Village - and like you said, I just got lucky.

Michael did mention that they were looking to put another high site up near an Old folks home (i think he meant John Of Gods - he was pointing in that direction) - think that would be of any help to you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

is there many people in here who would be in sight of the Dunnes Stores building in Blanchardstown? As far as I know that's where IBB are looking to broadcast from for the Dublin 15 area. Wonder what the story is with that. Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Actually, no. Last time I spoke to them they were still muttering on about putting it up in the mountains (three rock?). Nothing about the Dunnes building.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about them providing the service in Dublin 15. 3 Rock is way too far for that. They already have a mast on 3 rock. Rumours are that the Dunnes Stores building is being looked at for a high point in the Blanchardstown area.

csaddict, you must be the guy at the other end of Beaufield Park that Mike pointed out to me when he was doing the first LOS test. I could see you reciever gleaming in the sunlight like some unobtainable vision of paradise :)

I hope you are right about IBBs new site plan, if it was on J O G's it would do the business for me

Still cannot work out why they're not using a mesh radio network. The way they are doing it they the have to keep getting new transmitter sites which cannot be cheap. Also between me and those obstructive trees there is the equivalent of a fair sized housing estate, maybe 200-300 houses. Given the lie of the land the same circumstances are probably repeated a mile or two east and west.

IBB are paying an "opportunity cost" here. If the LOS was resolved they could have myself, melachi, l3rian and Scruff as paying customers, between us thats about 3 grand this year in monthly charges, install fees etc. And I suspect we are the tip of the iceberg. I wonder how many people in Stillorgan, Blackrock have been sucessfully signed up? Just csaddict? Compared to myself and 3 others who can't get it?

I want to see IBB suceed. They are trying to give us what we want at a fair price. Can you ever see eircom doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

; )

I don't care where they put it as long as they put it somewhere I can access it from. I'm sick of dialup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I have literally just failed the LOS test 2 mins ago;-(

I am in Monkstown

(gutted)

• Advertisement

it seems to be 1 install to 5 no goes in roughly the same area.

I know if I had passed LOS I wanted them to install right away. I assume the other 4 are the same?

its a shame to see a company like this losing business :(

I am just gutted, I would really get the use out of broadband, would love to work from home etc.

Failing that test simply makes me angrier about the total discgrace .ie broaband avail is.

I wish IBB all the best, also must add the people I dealt with were very profess.

I would have signed up straight away if I had passed.

I hope they read this and answer our calls!

Yea, I miss gaming with low ping. That's what attracted me the most. 1mb both ways was the second thing followed by €70 a month < €ircon €169 a month, not to mention HELPFUL SUPPORT..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Originally posted by pork99
    csaddict, you must be the guy at the other end of Beaufield Park that Mike pointed out to me when he was doing the first LOS test. I could see you reciever gleaming in the sunlight like some unobtainable vision of paradise :)

I *believe*, not 100% sure, that the technology exists to 'bounce' wireless signals from someone who can see it to someone else who can't.

If that made any sense to you, give michael a ring and ask. No harm in it is there? Of course if you can't actually see his aerial from your house then theres no point. And IBB may not support it either.

Of course if you can't actually see his aerial from your house then theres no point.

I can see it from just outside in the street, dont know whether its visible from the roof as its is a bit dodgy and theres no way I'm risking my neck up there :) (LiZzard gets paid for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ugreevy

sorry to hear you guys failed the LOS test, they are coming out to me on Friday morning Ill let you know how i get on but i am considerably less hopeful than I was last Friday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Originally posted by ugreevy
    sorry to hear you guys failed the LOS test, they are coming out to me on Friday morning Ill let you know how i get on but i am considerably less hopeful than I was last Friday....

Just out of curiosity, could you ask them when they come around about my above post. I remember way back when, I was talking to Leap and they suggested it. I wonder if IBB support bouncing.

well now im really pissed off just got this email:

Dear Ugo Greevy

Unfortunately due to the large number of failed Line Of Sights in
    Blackrock, the decision has been made to cancel all signal tests in the
    area.

In the past three weeks we have done numerous signal test's in the area,
    and yesterday we had one in the Kill Abbey road.

All of which have failed, it is because of this that we have decided to
    stop all signal test's until such time as we can obtain another Base
    Station in the area to cover Blackrock, Monkstown.etc

Bianca

ive replied saying i actually live in deansgrange and have clear LOS from my garden let alone my roof to the 3 rock.... and kill abbey is an estate not a road so maybe ive been told a little fib...

I was talking to two people last night who were waiting to hear my LOS results, they defo wanna get hooked up.

Come on IBB get Blackrock / Monkstown sorted, you will rake it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LizZard

Sorry about all the failed LOS, but our high-sites are limited at present.

So in a positive light we are getting stats on where our next highsites should be, so bear with us a while longer and we will get you up and running ;-)

I will try keep you all posted on Blackrock and Monkstown as it seems we need to get something there ASAP. We have someone in discussions with a few good places at the moment to cover the dead spots. Four of our Directors live in those areas so you can expect quick movement to cover them.

Regarding the Posting of our E-Mails on the Board,

Please could you respect the disclaimer at the bottom in that it is private and confidential. You expect us to treat your correspondence with us as confidential and we request that you do the same.

Thanks for the patience and support

Michael *LizZard*

• Advertisement

thanks for posting Michael

my apologies i posted in frustration without reading the disclaimor

:(

its all hard to take especially when i cant get a better connection than 26k with a 56k modem......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

A mate of mine passed the LOS test in sandyford industrial estate. However he says that the receiver/dish is bloody huge and the wire from it is very wide. He may not get it because of this. Is it really that big???

LizZard, Bring broadband to Monkstown!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

Is it really that big???
    It's about the size of a sky dish (maximum width of the dish) - but square and silver mesh rather than oval and black.

The cable is 1/2 inch co-ax, which is pretty thick, but the guys who install it do a fairly neat job, so it's not that bad.

Depends on your sense of aesthetics, really. Mine's up on the roof by the chimney so I hardly ever look at it anyway.

Michael did show me the business style antennae which were small neat looking beige boxes, but they cost a lot more according to him. Still - if he has the money and it's that important to him...

I wouldn't (well - I didn't) let it stop me, personally, although a smaller one would have been much nicer.

I thoght the receiver/dish looked fine, in fact I would be quite happy with one the size of Jodrell Bank with "SCREW EIRCOM" written across it in very big letters :D

stillorgan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Cabinteely! ;)

I couldn't be arsed anymore. I've lost all interest in Broadband and I'm gonna take up knitting so no rush in getting a service in Dublin 15. Thanks anyway!

What's the story with the IRC channel that IBB were setting up?

It failed the LOS (joke)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

out of interest, what SNR ratio do you require before you'll do an install?
    quozl

Advertisement