Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info about irishbroadband.ie?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I couldn't get DSL at my house so I got a relative within a few hundred yards away to have it installed and I connect to his link via wireless. It costs probably around E300 for the hardware and is relatively easy to set up. The same should apply to any other type of access you purchase. You of course need the current customer to be willing to do this, probably sharing the cost of the connection.
    IBB may not be happy about this but then again, why not, if you can't get the service directly from them?
    PM me if you want details about how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

I would defenitely not share my connection with anyone even if they payed the full price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Any chance of this in dublin 9 area, drumcondra, whitehall etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fuzzbucket

I think I'm within their Donnybrook transmitter area... Does anyone use 'em or has anyone dealt with 'em?
    If so, how's the service? The setup charge is quite high so I'm a little reluctant to shell out for a dud...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I'm waiting for them to call me back for an installation. They say that the RTE transmiter isn't operational at the moment as they are moving it up the mast. Should be done in a week or so I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Would it be possible for you guys to set up in galway? Preferably one with an easy LOS to Salthill ? :P

Originally posted by Mr. Flibble
    I'm waiting for them to call me back for an installation. They say that the RTE transmiter isn't operational at the moment as they are moving it up the mast. Should be done in a week or so I'm told.

Good stuff... Can't wait for the day when I stop giving eircom all me money and stop getting slagged by undiscovered tribes on IRC with better connection than me.

Read this thread from the start (well, most of it...) and I still have a coupla questions about the whole thing and I have a morbid dread of the telephone since I worked in a call centre.

I live with my folks (who you calling nerd?) so the fewer holes drilled and fellas on the roof the better. (No, they will not be paying - tsk!) Is there a fully wireless option? (I am 99% this is not the case...)

Can I share the connection around other machines in the house without effecting the contention? (I am 99% this is the case)

Um... I forgot my other questions... *wispers 'pass it on, man'*

BTW, I saw mention of people having hassle with ZoneAlarm - I ditched ZA Pro as soon as I found the great, free Agnitum Outpost Firewall - much better imo and I couldn't be h4x0r3d by t3h g|b50n ;)

PS - there's a lot of tree cultivating types between myself and Donnybrook - is it strictly illegal to go round naked with a chainsaw some midnight clearing a path?

Got a call from them today. Their RTE transmitter is up. Said they'd call me on Friday or Monday for a LOS test.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

I live in RATHMINES - leinster road , anyone know if im hopelessly out of site?

by the way lizzard , try and fix that horrendous site map,

it really is frustrating :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mr. Flibble
    Got a call from them today. Their RTE transmitter is up. Said they'd call me on Friday or Monday for a LOS test.

Is the transmitter on the main mast at Montrose? AFAIK that's owned by eircon... Hope they're not ripping the nice ibb people too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is irishbroadband "Irish" in its reach, or is it a misleadingly named localised dublin thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

if you have a look at their website you'll see they only cover a fairly small area of dublin at the moment.

However I think its perfectly fair to call their company Irish Broadband. Presumably in the future they hope to expand to cover other areas too. It would be fairly shortsighted to call the company "Sandyford & Donnybrook Broadband" just because thats the only places they are initially offering their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I would love to get an update from them about blackrock / monkstown etc? I am at the point where I wanna know whether or not to wait for them??

Any ibb people answer this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

i mailed them last week.
    still securing an area but no time frame as yet.

well i wouldn't go by their map too much , it doesn't say they have the three rock mast up yet but they do ,

i'm getting a l.o.s done next wednesday and i live out in rathmines :)

so god damned nice and helpful on the phone too, i hope it works out for the company and me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

I e-mailed them to let them know there was another potential customer in Blackrock/Monkstown area (to be honest, it'd be better for me if the mast was in Monkstown, as my LOS is probably clearer in that direction).
    They said they're in negotiations for property in the area, and that they'd notify me when they were finalised.
    Something else that might be of interest to 5% of you (or possibly just me): their hefty co-ax cable service isn't compatible with Macs, but their oh-so-svelte Ethernet option (extra €80 installation costs) is.
    I imagine my Airport wireless card is next-to-useless for whatever they're going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

Originally posted by CitySickness
    Something else that might be of interest to 5% of you (or possibly just me): their hefty co-ax cable service isn't compatible with Macs, but their oh-so-svelte Ethernet option (extra €80 installation costs) is.
    I imagine my Airport wireless card is next-to-useless for whatever they're going to do.
    Yes and no (i think). I did go with the Ethernet option, just because I felt it'd be easier to just plug it into a hub & share the connection over multiple machines (*not that I have them*). I'm not sure whether the USB option would have worked on my Mac (running Jaguar) - but the Ethernet option is fine.

The ethernet & USB are essentially the same - the only difference is the box at the end of the co-ax cable - in one case it's got a USB port coming out of it, and in the other it's got an Ethernet port. Everything prior to that is the same.

I'm assuming that you've got a BaseStation for your airport - your Airport should still work if you have the ethernet cable from the radio plugging straight into it. (That said - I've never had the privilege of actually configging one, but if my understanding of it is correct, that should work - all depends on whether that's the main hub for your connection or not).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by CitySickness
    They said they're in negotiations for property in the area, and that they'd notify me when they were finalised.

Heh, i wouldn't count on it :o

kaids why do you say that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Kaids,

They weren't lieing about the 3-rock mast where they? I dunno how many times I had been told by leap that they'd have one up there, and they still don't.

Exactly, they seem like they know what they are doing? Bit early to start knocking them.....

(unless they dont hurry up and get Monkstown / Blackrock sorted ;-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

for now I'd give IBB the benefit of the doubt. They haven't done anything yet to indicate that they are not true to their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

line of sight test scheduled for next week :) I've been trying to get it since the day I started this thread (over 2 months ago). Still, 4 months quicker than getting ISDN from eircom, and it does seem to have been mainly RTE's fault. Will let you know how it goes,
    quozl

hey quozl, where do you live by the way,

we should all start writing down the definite areas where you can recieve the service,

making it easier for people to act on , because the map really doesn't do the website any justice,

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

donnybrook village. But because it's using 802.11b you can't really say a specific area that is guaranteed access as even if your entire street has an acceptable signal you might not because of a dirty big tree/house/hill in the way.

I'd guess that's why they have to do so many LOS tests and so many fail. It's really hard to tell if somewhere will have decent signal strength.

They could do with doing something about the map though!

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ugreevy

well i had my line of sight test on Friday and looks like i passed!

i have LOS to the 3 rock transmitter, my only worry is the distance from the transmitter im 5.7km away according to the gprs signal.

Good enough for IB to arrange (date tbc.) an installation in the near future. They will have to do a signal test to be 100% sure.

great guys to deal with btw.

Had my LOS today and passed. They say they might be able to install it next week but if not it'll have to wait till after xmas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Can they not install it right there and then??
    I asked her that on the phone and i thought she said that getting it installed right away was no problem...

Im in Milltown and ive been waiting on the RTE site over a month now so im praying this doesnt fall through, esp. as Leap were offering to get the LOS test done before the end of the week i called them.

Does anyone know how far their threerock transmitter goes??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

I'm in Goatstown, Just off Goatstown rd near the goat cross roads. I got good LOS to three rock and in my personal opinion that is were I should be connecting. BUT in contacting IBB they have told me that the RTE transmitter is for me. Now i can't even see the damn thing and have told them this.
    Stubborn I say. But what do I know?

Any way. I was just wondering if anyone else in my area has had a test yet and how they got on?

Advertisement