Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL off to EU land again!

Options
  • 25-09-2002 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

We did say we'd go back and the time has come.

IOFFL have been invited to attend the Eighth Implementation Report Hearing on the status of the telecommunications market in Ireland on the 3rd October 2002 in Brussels.

The following is the agenda:

1. National Regulatory Authority
    – Impact of the new communications law (Communications Regulation Act 2002) on the functioning of the ODTR
    – Scope of ODTR' s powers
    – Enforcement measures (financial penalties)
    – Transparency in ODTR' s decision-making procedures
    – Relationship between the ODTR and the Competition Authority

2. Licensing
    – Consultation by the ODTR on the new regulatory framework for
    authorisations. Impact of the new framework on existing licensees.

3. Interconnection, access
    – Fixed-to-mobile termination charges
    – RIO, interconnection agreements and interconnection rates
    – SMP designations

4. Local access competition, including implementation of the regulation on local loop unbundling and bit-stream access
    – Bit-stream access (wholesale offer, launch of service)
    – Provision and pricing of LLU/sub loops (number of lines, launch of sub loop product, SLA)
    – Collocation issues (provision of service, pricing issues)
    – Wireless local loop

5. Universal service/consumers/users
    – Measurement of licensed operators' performance

6. Mobile services / Frequencies
    – Results and procedural issues arising from the tender for the grant of licences for the provision of 3G services (A and B licences)
    – Developments regarding radio spectrum (strategic management of the radio spectrum)
    – International roaming survey

7. Tariffs and Cost accounting
    – Follow up on price-cap regime
    – Publication of separate accounts and of statements concerning compliance

8. Leased lines
    – Service Level Agreements, delivery time, review of prices
    – Partial private circuits

9. Numbering
    – CPS (level of demand, quality of service, pricing issues)
    – Mobile number portability (cost of service, timing for introduction of service)

10. Rights of way
    – Impact of the new communications law on infrastructure development
    – Issues related to the establishment of antennae for the provision of mobile services

11. Data protection
    – Overview

12. Internet
    – Overview of latest developments (???!!!)

13. New framework
    – Transposition of new Directives:
    – Preparatory measures for the assessment of relevant markets under the new framework i.e. resources
    – Timetable for the transposition
    – Ongoing consultation procedures regarding transposition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Good stuff - will you be able to contribute?

How are you paying for all this btw? Wasn't there an account somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Good stuff - will you be able to contribute?

That is the whole reason for attending. The more the telcos have to deal with the perspective of the consumer/SME's at these hearings the better.

It is important that the voice of the consumer/SME's is heard by those compiling the 8th implemtation report. Yes these regulatory bodies say its all for the consumer, but the consumer has not benefited to any great extent in the regulatory decisions surrounding Internet services and costs in Ireland for the past 5 years. If anything we are five years in the past in terms of Internet cost and accessability.

Although the government has agreed to adhere to the E-Europe plans 2002 AND 2005, which have the following as goals set in them:
    E-Europe plan 2002
    - availability of low-cost, high-speed networks for Internet access
    - European youth into the digital age
    - participation for all in the knowledge based economy
    - fully integreated and lberalised telecoms markets by the end of 2001

E-Europe plan 2005
    - widespread availability of broadband access at competitive prices
    - removal of obstacles to deployment of broadband networks

In Ireland we have seen damn all difference.

Before IOFFL existed these hearings just went on and the bodies involved spoke of how this was all for the consumer, so that the consumer would have a choice of products and services and that they would be competitively priced. Look how far that got the consumer. Now the consumer can attend and have their say.
    ow are you paying for all this btw? Wasn't there an account somewhere?

I'm paying out of my own pocket and staying with a friend, I'll only be there for 24 hours. The bank account details are as follows:

Ireland Offline
    Sort Code: 933570
    Account No.: 13015146

David Long
    Chairman IrelandOffline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

David,

With all you and the rest of the IOFFL voluntary committee have achieved up too now. On behalf of all beleagured telephone and internet users in Ireland.

I am amazed at your continuing determination and tenacity. Congratulations from me to you and the rest of the Committee.

How or where you all get the strength is beyond me, and clearly the IOFFL campaign is well on the way too achieving its aim and objectives.

May the sun always shine on your parade.

Yours,

Paddy20,;)

N.B. When this is all over. Have you all considered how badly we need a new honest political party here in the Republic?. Just a thought/suggestion??...

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Originally posted by paddy20
    N.B. When this is all over. Have you all considered how badly we need a new honest political party here in the Republic?. Just a thought/suggestion??...

What? We've got chubby cyber Bertie and "no cutbacks" Mc creevy. What else do you want?
    NO, I'm used to seeing clueless, sweaty, greedy, overweight,dishonest boggers* running the E-Tub (into the ground). I'd just miss Berite & Mafia too much.

*No offence intended to those of a rural background.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"- European youth into the digital age"

Hm? I'm a European Youth! What's this all about then?

I try to enhance my digital future by making sites that receives 55,000 page impressions a day*. However, I find it difficult to repeat my 'success' when I'm being outdone by my American counterparts in terms of internet speed and cost.

Frankly, our telecommunications infastructure is driving me and my internet connection deeper into the ground.

And yes I'm still a youth, even though I sound like I'm going bald after all these rants...

Best of luck with the whole thing by the way ^_^ keep up the level of professionalism that this organisation is renowned for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

I seriusly consider that you guys should start the formation of a Political Party, so far the European Union has given you enough political credit as to invite you to attend the Eighth Implementation Report Hearing in Brussels.
    Something that would not have happend if it was not for your tenacity and honesty in fighting for the people of the Republic of Ireland.

I am 200 % in agreement with paddy20 and I invite more people to write about this proposition.

Advertisement